Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep

Chess Removals - Perth to London - A++

Hi All,

Just a quick note to anyone that may be looking for some recent experiences with shipping companies. Yesterday we had our 20ft container packed up and taken away for shipment from Perth back to the UK which we are returning to on October 12th permanently.

We had many companies come out to us and quote but i couldn't recommend highly enough the services of Chess. Obviously only half of the shipment process has completed with the arrival and unpacking back in the UK still to commence but i will provide an update when that happens and do not envisage any changes to my positive feelings of the this whole process so far.

Chess were by far the cheapest and although sometimes cheaper is not necessarily better i was very confident that these guys would deliver on my expected service. I think even if they had been more expensive i would have gone with them because of how comfortable i felt about the whole process and the vibe i got from the very first day i contacted them, being the cheapest was just an added bonus to the whole process!

From the moment Paul came out to quote on our freight to the freight being collected it was smooth, hassle free, easy and enjoyable. The quote was based on a measurement estimate of 28 cubic metres. I do not think he could of been anymore spot on with that measurement if he had tried. Everything we wanted to take was included and packed into the container so precisely. Paul was fantastic, down to earth and did not try to sell anything, it just naturally happened because of how comfortable we felt dealing with him. None of this cheesy pushy sales pitch. Once i said i would sort my own insurance out that was it. no more on the matter and no pushing to get me to take up the insurance through the freight company which would have been about 3 times the price based on quotes from other company's. I didn't even need to ask Paul for a quote because i took the fact he asked once and after i said i have done it myself he didn't mention it again and said good job! BTW for freight insurance, Letton Percival were bang on for price and service. And to top it off the shipment will take just 4 weeks from Perth to London. I was under the impression 8 weeks was the minimum so that was an added bonus as we have a rental property already secured when we get there in mid October!

The guys who collected our freight were brilliant, funny, professional and easy to be around. Everything just felt right and when you are upping and moving to the other side of the world those moments of feeling comfortable and not worried are welcomed with open arms.

As i mentioned above i do not expect the second half of the process to be any different even though its Chesses UK partner Britannia who delivery our furniture.

Give them a go, i think you will be pleasantly surprised at the cost and service compared to a number of other company's. Just incase anyone is interested we paid $7200 for full shipment and delivery of our 20ft container.

Cheers,

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Thanks for the information - I recently posted a question about shipping Perth to England and this has helped me a lot. Didn't think about getting my own insurance - is there any issue / risk with the insurance not being done by Chess? i.e. insurer then putting blame back on you etc (besides costs - was there any driver for you to seek your own insurance?).

Was the price you quoted for them to pack in Australia and unpack in England? For one 20ft sea container?
      Appreciate the information, cheers

(4 weeks is good turnaround - I had expected 8 weeks too)

Title
      The Import Oracle (?!)
      Liked
      178 times
      Rep
      You may want to change your ***** to ++++ if you're happy with them. I thought you were calling them arseholes haha
      Iron Lady Imports ... For more information visit www.ironladyimports.com or PM me on here.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
      You may want to change your ***** to ++++ if you're happy with them. I thought you were calling them arseholes haha
      Me too!

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      @suesmalls Independant insurance is probably far less hassle should you need to make a claim
      Shipping companies insurance is more likely to drag their heels or dispute it. I'd get independant over shipping companies own any day.

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
      Hahaha i just re read it and thought exactly the same. I will have to try and edit it!

Re the insurance i just assumed that the insurance offered from the freight company was similar to finance offered at a car yard (high rates, high set up fees etc) and i went and got a quote from an independent insurer and found them soon much cheaper than the freight company. The guy from chess pretty much said to continue doing what i was doing as if to say its cheaper and better.

The price was for us to pack our items, so they dropped loads of boxes of different sizes a month (allowed us to pack at our own pace and not have to do it frantically at the end) before the collection and we just packed anything that could fit in a box. They also provided paper to wrap items. All the big stuff (couches, furniture, beds, pictures, mirrors) was left for them to wrap. They then packed it all into the container and it was done. Easy as that.

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Great thanks for the update @vinnie3004 and @snifter - definitely something I hadn't considered and will be looking into this. I'll go back through and get the name of the insurer you mentioned.

It does also tell me from your last post you took back all your big items - couches etc - perhaps you have home already sorted etc and know they will fit. Still grappling with this decision to be honest. Now we've told a few family members of cause the 'help and advice' is starting and they're telling us don't bother, costs of moving, won't fit, storage until we know where we're going to stay etc. Probably all valid reasons as we do have very large furniture as we have a very big home - well most Australian homes even at the low to mid entry are bigger (on average).
      Just knowing we're going to be selling our furniture for near nothing and buy again at other end with little money to start with is probably my biggest bug bear - starting again at 48. But hearing how others have done it and it can be done is reassuring, thanks for updating with details. Appreciated.

Good call @snifter re the claiming direct - definitely agree and hadn't thought about this either, thank you.

Title
      Liked
      161 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      Me too!
      Me three!

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by suesmalls View Post
      Great thanks for the update @vinnie3004 and @snifter - definitely something I hadn't considered and will be looking into this. I'll go back through and get the name of the insurer you mentioned.

It does also tell me from your last post you took back all your big items - couches etc - perhaps you have home already sorted etc and know they will fit. Still grappling with this decision to be honest. Now we've told a few family members of cause the 'help and advice' is starting and they're telling us don't bother, costs of moving, won't fit, storage until we know where we're going to stay etc. Probably all valid reasons as we do have very large furniture as we have a very big home - well most Australian homes even at the low to mid entry are bigger (on average).
      Just knowing we're going to be selling our furniture for near nothing and buy again at other end with little money to start with is probably my biggest bug bear - starting again at 48. But hearing how others have done it and it can be done is reassuring, thanks for updating with details. Appreciated.

Good call @snifter re the claiming direct - definitely agree and hadn't thought about this either, thank you.

We managed to sort a rental out from here so we purposely looked for properties that we new we could fit our furniture into and within our budget. Once we found one, we asked family at home to go and look and check it out. Once we got the thumbs up we got it sorted. We thought about selling furniture but we would seriously get next to nothing for it and then have to fork out again for it. Plus our furniture is what makes up our home and its nice knowing we will have some home comforts following us. Thats my view anyway, lots do sell and start completely again, but we worked hard to buy decent furniture and my wife and i really like it so didn't want to part with it. the little things i guess :-)

When are you thinking of moving? we started the freight process about 2 months prior to our date and that seems to have been ample time for us.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1732 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      Me too!
      Me four!!
      Last edited by Chortlepuss; 15-09-2016 at 07:27 AM.

• John Mason International Movers

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast