Mould glorious Mould...

aconcannon

I could be way off the mark and totally wrong I am certainly no expert on building matters, its just everything you're saying reminds me of the situation I found myself in.

I'm pretty sure it will be damp related. Did you have the same sort of mould issues once? @tickledpink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very long time ago I had exactly the problems you are describing when living in a UK property. It turned out to be an undetected leak from a bathroom pipe that was seeping into the floor boards and up the wall. I eventually found the source when the mould got really bad (on all my stuff etc, and on wood furniture - just like you describe). I moved a wardrobe and felt the wall, and then demanded a further investigation was taken because the wall was wet. It was an internal wall. I suspect the problem had been going on for months when I saw the damage as things were stripped back. Maybe have a hunt around...

Yes, see the post I added earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We are having major issues with mound!

We had the same problem. Now cured. Or at least we are managing it.

First we washed away the mould from walls and ceiling with hot water, washing-up liquid and tea-tree oil. Took a few goes but got there.

Now maintain with a cleaning product called "Thieves Household Cleaner" from a company called Young Living Essential Oils. All natural stuff so not breathing in horrible bleach.

Also hired a carpet shampoo machine from Bunnings for deep cleaning of carpets. And either washed it out of clothes or threw badly impregnated clothes away.

But the best and really only way to keep things under control, is running a Dehumidifier during the day whilst we are out. The machine cost $800 from Bunnings and is the best money ever spent. Very cheap to run. And you should see how much water we pull out each day. Amazing.

Of course, keeping windows open where possible and letting sun in during summer helps too.

It is a battle. But certainly one you can win.

We had the same problem. Now cured. Or at least we are managing it.

First we washed away the mould from walls and ceiling with hot water, washing-up liquid and tea-tree oil. Took a few goes but got there.

Now maintain with a cleaning product called "Thieves Household Cleaner" from a company called Young Living Essential Oils. All natural stuff so not breathing in horrible bleach.

Also hired a carpet shampoo machine from Bunnings for deep cleaning of carpets. And either washed it out of clothes or threw badly impregnated clothes away.

But the best and really only way to keep things under control, is running a Dehumidifier during the day whilst we are out. The machine cost $800 from Bunnings and is the best money ever spent. Very cheap to run. And you should see how much water we pull out each day. Amazing.

Of course, keeping windows open where possible and letting sun in during summer helps too.

It is a battle. But certainly one you can win.

Christ, do they really cost that much over there? I guess they are needed that much in oz. With the better triple glazing in the UK, ventilation is becoming more important. Luckily new windows come with trickle vents. You could find that installing some ventilation, maybe airbrick or two would help. Otherwise, dehumidifiers are a must item for those migrating. You can get a good one for under £100.

You can get a good one for under £100.

Sure you can. Especially nowadays. Loads of ones at Bunnings for under $200. Mine is quite a few years old and cost I think about $800. This was some years ago. But its good and big and powerful and works extremely well still.

I never used one in the UK. Or indeed for the first 20 years I lived in Oz. But I needed one as soon as I moved near the beach. Never experienced mould before until lived near beach.

My friend lives in The Southern Highlands in NSW. Bloody cold there. Snows too. She has a double brick house with double glazing, central heating and an open fire. Too cold for me down there.