Townsville Reccie

WallyWombat

Hi,

We are heading to Townsville for 10 days over Christmas hoping to get a bit of a feel of the city and evaluating it as a potential place to live. We have been a couple of times before but have always been in holiday mode and never thought it would be somewhere we could live. But after having lived in Perth for 2 years, and Gold Coast for a year, we are now thinking Brownsville might be the fit for us.

Can anyone recommend what area to stay in or any motel/apt to try?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we moved to townsville dec 2015 straight from the uk and didnt think that we'll like it. asked a few people( foreigners) on our first few daysand was surprised that they loved if there and been there for years. then after a few months we loved it and 10 months from the. day we arrived, we bought our apartment, thats how much we loved townsville unfortunately due to our line of work, we just left last month to come here in brisbane but we kept our apartment as we know we love townsville and we will come back one day. check out riverview apartment, its in roaslea and you'll see why we got one. good luck

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry Wally I've only just seen this post. Can I ask why you fancy Brownsville? We moved there from Cairns and hated the place. I'm sorry I just did. It probably wasn't Townsville but more we were forced to leave Cairns for health reasons so always held a grudge. Coming from Cairns I will give you the pros and cons that I saw.

Pro -

A lot more money spent on infrastructure.

Better medical facilities

Cooler due to the breeze

Suburbs with NBN

Multiple schools

Cons

Higher crime rate

Less work

Locals moving away

Brown (not green and lush)

Not many places to go for a day out

The strand in Townsville needs more shops and cafes.

The CBD is abandoned

Now going back to where you can stay. I would recommend the Riverway apartments. http://www.itara-jacana.com.au We stayed here for a few months whilst both myself and my husband was in hospital. It's across the road from Willows shopping centre, right on the river front, next door to the lagoon (great if you have children) which also as a cafe. It's not on the coast about 20 minutes away but it will get you use to the suburb life. For areas to look at look around Douglas, Kirwan, West End, Palleranda, Rowes Bay, Annandale and also Bushland Beach area which is an upcoming area.

• 1 month later...

HI Pom Queen,

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry I have taken so long to write back. I forgot that I had posted this and hadn't logged in for ages.

We have booked Christmas on Maggie Island and then a week at Jacana Apartments. They were originally $150/night but went down to $105 /night so excited about that. Funny, months ago we wouldn't have dreamed of overlooking a river, but recently on the GC, we have just moved into a unit with a balcony overlooking the water way and just love it. It's amazing all the wildlife we see around here.

I think we are slowly working out what we want in life by process of elimination. We first lived in WA for 2 years (around Perth) and found the winters too cold and long. So, then we took a road trip aiming for Brisbane but ended up on the Gold Coast as after a week in BNE we realised how much we love living near the ocean and don't believe in commuting more than 1/2hr per day so found work on GC. We were reluctant to move further north as we didn't want to miss out on swimming in the ocean 6 months of the year due to stingers. However, we have learned that we do more stuff around the water rather than in it, and it is still too cold for us for swimming in the water so don't take full advantage anyway.

So, before you ask, yes, we are making decisions based on weather as most of our entertainment comes from natural things;

I think everywhere needs good coffee places. It seems whatever I order, it comes out like a flat white /latte!

Townsville seems like it is in a good position for what we like. (Bowen is one of my most favourite towns in the world!!). We are a couple in our 40's, early 50's, no kids and don't like to work too hard and just want to be warm all year round and love the outback and the tropics. I like the tropical feel in Cairns/PD but kind of want to stay away from popular tourist destinations. We are saving for a cool camping 4wd and camper and hope some day to have our very own tinny :)

We have been to Brownsville a couple of times, once on holiday before we emigrated, and once camping in March (in a tent after driving for 2 months across Australia) so hoping we will get a more true sense of the place when we are staying somewhere with air conditioning.

Speaking of which, do you have to use your air con there? We tend to like to be hot and never turned it on when living in Perth but not sure how it is there in the summer. I know my husband visited Darwin and said he would've found it hard if there was no air con there.

Workwise, we will be the same as the only way we could make more money would be to move to a city, but aren't willing to do that.

How long have you been living there now?

Wally Wombat

Sorry Wally I've only just seen this post. Can I ask why you fancy Brownsville? We moved there from Cairns and hated the place. I'm sorry I just did. It probably wasn't Townsville but more we were forced to leave Cairns for health reasons so always held a grudge. Coming from Cairns I will give you the pros and cons that I saw.

Pro -

Cooler due to the breeze

Suburbs with NBN

Multiple schools

Cons

Higher crime rate

Less work

Locals moving away

The CBD is abandoned

Now going back to where you can stay. I would recommend the Riverway apartments. http://www.itara-jacana.com.au We stayed here for a few months whilst both myself and my husband was in hospital. It's across the road from Willows shopping centre, right on the river front, next door to the lagoon (great if you have children) which also as a cafe. It's not on the coast about 20 minutes away but it will get you use to the suburb life. For areas to look at look around Douglas, Kirwan, West End, Palleranda, Rowes Bay, Annandale and also Bushland Beach area which is an upcoming area.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

So, we had a great 10 days up in Brownsville. Enjoyed Magnetic Island and then stayed 4 nights at Jacana and then 3 nights on Palmer. The place really started to grow on us by the time we left. My husband is sold on the idea but I would still like to check out Cairns area so we are going up for 5 days at the end of April. It's seems a lot more laid back up there and a lot less people. We loved the heat too. I couldn't imagine living out near those Jacana apartments though and we would prefer to be a bit closer to town.

loved the beaches on the north side - so natural and tropical.

I am just going to review all the posts on Cairns now to see what to check out when we are up there.

I find it fascinating now when we revisit areas as we now we have been in Australia for 4 years, we have a greater understanding of life here and see places completely differently as we first did when we were on holiday or just landed.

Pro -

Cooler due to the breeze

Suburbs with NBN

Multiple schools

Cons

Higher crime rate

Less work

Locals moving away

The CBD is abandoned

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

So, we had a great 10 days up in Brownsville. Enjoyed Magnetic Island and then stayed 4 nights at Jacana and then 3 nights on Palmer. The place really started to grow on us by the time we left. My husband is sold on the idea but I would still like to check out Cairns area so we are going up for 5 days at the end of April. It's seems a lot more laid back up there and a lot less people. We loved the heat too. I couldn't imagine living out near those Jacana apartments though and we would prefer to be a bit closer to town.

loved the beaches on the north side - so natural and tropical.

I am just going to review all the posts on Cairns now to see what to check out when we are up there.

I find it fascinating now when we revisit areas as we now we have been in Australia for 4 years, we have a greater understanding of life here and see places completely differently as we first did when we were on holiday or just landed.

If you liked Townsville just wait until you see Cairns. For me it was paradise and I was heartbroken when we had to move. I will always think of Cairns as home.

So when you head up to Cairns are you wanting to look at suburbs or touristy things. Let me know and I can help. Also will you be flying or driving?

• 1 month later...

You dodged a bullet getting out. Townsville CBD is a disgrace with boarded up shops, nothing to do and a huge aggressive itinerant community. We would leave but are sponsored by our employers so are counting down the days until we can return to the UK. Now Cairns is a different matter. We just love it there. Good luck.

I liked aspects of both Townsville and Cairns but I only visited and never lived there. When I did a reccie I could have lived in Townsville. Could have seen myself walking up and down castle hill and the strand like the locals. The wife didn't like it though and when I went in 2009 the CBD was non existent and run down. Wife wasn't keen on Cairns either and I preferred the northern beaches especially the drive up to Port Douglas, Kuranda etc. What I realised was there was far more to do in the Cairns region than Townsville and a bit more rain to make it look greener. Standing on top of castle hill and looking around you are quite isolated and there is not much near by. I was keen to live in Cairns because I also have old school friends who live there. Surprisingly I know a few families from my small town in Wales who have settled there. Unfortunately there wasn't any work oporutunities for me there and I ended up in the GC which was too sprawled out and busy for me.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
8 hours ago, ClaireyD said:

You dodged a bullet getting out. Townsville CBD is a disgrace with boarded up shops, nothing to do and a huge aggressive itinerant community. We would leave but are sponsored by our employers so are counting down the days until we can return to the UK. Now Cairns is a different matter. We just love it there. Good luck.

Wow @ClaireyD you sound more unhappy there than what I was and that's saying something. I'm surprised when you say an aggressive community as the people who we did get to meet were lovely and friendly. Could you not get a transfer instead of moving back to the UK?

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, doubter said:

I liked aspects of both Townsville and Cairns but I only visited and never lived there. When I did a reccie I could have lived in Townsville. Could have seen myself walking up and down castle hill and the strand like the locals. The wife didn't like it though and when I went in 2009 the CBD was non existent and run down. Wife wasn't keen on Cairns either and I preferred the northern beaches especially the drive up to Port Douglas, Kuranda etc. What I realised was there was far more to do in the Cairns region than Townsville and a bit more rain to make it look greener. Standing on top of castle hill and looking around you are quite isolated and there is not much near by. I was keen to live in Cairns because I also have old school friends who live there. Surprisingly I know a few families from my small town in Wales who have settled there. Unfortunately there wasn't any work oporutunities for me there and I ended up in the GC which was too sprawled out and busy for me.

I think if you have come straight from the UK then Townsville is great but when you see what else Australia as on offer Townsville doesn't offer a lot. 

I love Kuranda and PD in Cairns and also Palm Cove

23 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I think if you have come straight from the UK then Townsville is great but when you see what else Australia as on offer Townsville doesn't offer a lot. 

I love Kuranda and PD in Cairns and also Palm Cove

Flew up to Mackay from Brisbane and drove up to Cairns from there.Time and distance does restrict you coz OZ is so huge. Only had overnight stays in Airlie beach,Townsville and Cairns. Have to say could have lived in Airlie beach too and loved the Whitsundays.Hope everyone was safe up that way and not too much damage from cyclone.

Guest The Pom Queen
4 hours ago, doubter said:

Flew up to Mackay from Brisbane and drove up to Cairns from there.Time and distance does restrict you coz OZ is so huge. Only had overnight stays in Airlie beach,Townsville and Cairns. Have to say could have lived in Airlie beach too and loved the Whitsundays.Hope everyone was safe up that way and not too much damage from cyclone.

Yes I love Airlie and where BobJ lives. 

Hi Doubter - the isolation is what attracts us to Townsville as it gives you the illusion it is isolated, but really it isn't. Looking out from Castle Hill is kind of like looking out at other islands when on one of the Hawaiian islands...makes me feel alive and live in the moment...and just relaxed :)

We are on the GC now and finding it too busy (and cold in winter!). The wages are pretty average down here to -so we might as well move north and be where we want to be.

We are flying up to Cairns for the Easter weekend for a short break. i have a feeling it might be busy though as everyone has cancelled the Whitsundays and many people have cancelled their hols on North NSW.

Whereabouts on the GC are you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WallyWombat said:

Hi Doubter - the isolation is what attracts us to Townsville as it gives you the illusion it is isolated, but really it isn't. Looking out from Castle Hill is kind of like looking out at other islands when on one of the Hawaiian islands...makes me feel alive and live in the moment...and just relaxed :)

We are on the GC now and finding it too busy (and cold in winter!). The wages are pretty average down here to -so we might as well move north and be where we want to be.

We are flying up to Cairns for the Easter weekend for a short break. i have a feeling it might be busy though as everyone has cancelled the Whitsundays and many people have cancelled their hols on North NSW.

Whereabouts on the GC are you?

Back in UK last 6yrs but lived in northern GC Pacific Pines. Not a bad place but I felt it wasn't quite right for our needs. I only knew a general area where I could be working before I left the UK and only found out a few weeks before while in my short term rental in Wynnum. Panic set in then so settled on Pac Pines as knew a little about that and was in our price range.

Felt more laid back and not so smothering in far north and great place to go in winter, beautiful climate.

5 hours ago, WallyWombat said:

Hi Doubter - the isolation is what attracts us to Townsville as it gives you the illusion it is isolated, but really it isn't. Looking out from Castle Hill is kind of like looking out at other islands when on one of the Hawaiian islands...makes me feel alive and live in the moment

You will enjoy my cover photo then which I took on Castle Hill overlooking Magnetic Island :D