Vetassess for a plumber

Walker25

Hi to anyone who can help???? Please!!! :chatterbox:

My husband and i are at the very early stages of all this and aready confusssed!

He is a plumber and about to do the skills asssessment which we now understand is the 1st thing he must do, hope this is right to start??

On the Vetassess website we have seen there are 2 stages. Stage 1 been the online application costing $635. Then stage 2 which is a practical demonstration $1580!!!!!

Our question is do all plumbers need to complete practical demonstration (stage2) or can sufficient qualification etc be enough?

Thank you.

Hi there I'm a plumber my self, I had to send off 10 years work experience and get that signed off. Now doing my practical this month, I think every one has to do it to show that you can actually know your stuff. As your husband will know a lot of people have qualifications but don't know how to actually work lol

Hi. Been there got the t shirt. Unfortunately all us plumbers have to pay vetassess fees. 2 day practical/theory is the easiest thing going. You physically cant fail. Its literally impossible. The examiner comes from australia to do this and he just wants his photo's they dont care how its done. And theory they just talk through the answers in the exam. Then when you get your paperwork it means nothing in australia so totally worth it right?? Just a money making scheme and another hoop to jump through to get to australia. Good luck. Unfortunately its very expensive and you need to be very determinded.

P.s book your ielts exams and medicals asap if your doing vetasess. Speeds up the process.

• 5 months later...

Hi doing my plumbing practical this weekend and wondered if you two lads above that have done yours could help me out and give me a bit of a heads up of what I am going to be asked to do and what sort of theory questions they ask. This is the most recent post on this by a good couple of years so any information on what you was asked to do on yours would really help me out.

thanks

Hey.

Don't stress at the vetassess assement. The whole things a bit of a joke in all honesty. Had two gas engineers doing their vetassess assessment when i did mine and they didnt even do plumbing!! (Good luck to them in oz!)

They talk you through a practical which is the same assesment you do in your first week of college. Bathroom hot cold to a combi jig. And a fabricated stack in push fit. You cant fail. Literally cant.

Then its a open book theory on australian plumbing questions. Again. Theres a list of questions. The teacher talks through the answers. You cant fail.

Whole things a joke. Litrally for visa purposes. You will need to undertake tafe rpl in plumbing within the first 3 years of arriving. get yourself a provisional trade certificate card from service nsw when you arrive with your vetassess form of completion and a white card (half days course) and your good to go applying for jobs as a tradesmen. Not a helper. Or journeyman or apprentice. A tradesman.

Good luck. Any questions just message me.

Craig

Hey.

Don't stress at the vetassess assement. The whole things a bit of a joke in all honesty. Had two gas engineers doing their vetassess assessment when i did mine and they didnt even do plumbing!! (Good luck to them in oz!)

They talk you through a practical which is the same assesment you do in your first week of college. Bathroom hot cold to a combi jig. And a fabricated stack in push fit. You cant fail. Literally cant.

Then its a open book theory on australian plumbing questions. Again. Theres a list of questions. The teacher talks through the answers. You cant fail.

Whole things a joke. Litrally for visa purposes. You will need to undertake tafe rpl in plumbing within the first 3 years of arriving. get yourself a provisional trade certificate card from service nsw when you arrive with your vetassess form of completion and a white card (half days course) and your good to go applying for jobs as a tradesmen. Not a helper. Or journeyman or apprentice. A tradesman.

Good luck. Any questions just message me.

Craig

Check out the individual states though, as different states may have different requirements from NSW

I wouldn't say 'you literally can't fail'.

In the elective part of the assessment, you need to show evidence of experience in Roofing or Gas services.

We've had plumbers call us who do neither, who do only purely domestic plumbing. Without experience of the above they would be struggling.

I would never encourage anyone to go into these tests with a complacent attitude. Also, Vetassess like to mix thing up every so often, so just because an applicant reports it was straightforward for them at a certain point of time, others should not assume it will be a walk in the park.

Regards,

Richard

• 2 years later...

can someone please advise me if they have done a vetasses assessment recently. I have read the posts which are in 2016/2017. My nephew has to do his assessment and is very concerned about the difficulty of the testing as Australian regulations are very very different to South African regulations.