Extra luggage allowance

Lisababy

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Australia in Spring and have already activated our visas. Is there any way where we can have additional luggage allowance or is this just for those on PR and inactivated visas??

Thanks,

Tom

Extra luggage allowance is at the discretion of the airline and few provide it anyway. But yes, if they do it would only be for an U activated PR visa. Just look into cost of extra baggage allowances, some are very reasonable.

Edited by Bungo

Singapore Airlines will allocate you 10KG each extra if you contact them ahead of time. Add that to your 30KG allowance (assuming your going economy) that will give you 40KG each. You can spread the 40KG across many cases.

That is for unvalidated PR visas. Not for visas already validated.

Look at IOM for flights and see if they are still doing migrant flights with extra allowance. You'll have to read the small print to see if it's OK for validated visas.

If mot, look at airlines that charge per bag not exceeding a certain weight or some such. Some offer an excess bag for a reasonable price, others will charge for each extra kilo.

Do not assume or hope that someone on an airline check in desk is going to waive an excess weight through without charge or asking you to remove some to lighten the load before checking it in.

Consider an excess baggage shipping company. A 30kg bag or case could be shipped door to door for a very reasonable fee and save you the hassle of carting it to the airport and so on. I think we paid about £100 for this service a few years ago. It got picked up the day before we flew out, arrived the day after, delivered to our door the other end. Cheaper than being charged per kilo for excess by the airline.

That is incorrect. They will do it for validated visas providing you didn't use the extra allowance for your validation trip.

Thats the first time I've ever heard that being the case.

I suggest the OP get it in writing via an email confirmation prior to flying and print it off to show at check in.

Thats the first time I've ever heard that being the case.

Case? Pun Intended? :wink:

I arranged this for a friend around 18 months ago and it wasn't an issue. Briefly explained the visa had been activated and why that was needed and then told them this is the actual migration flight. They could probably tell the other flight wasn't a migration flight as the return ticket was used.

Case? Pun Intended? :wink:

I arranged this for a friend around 18 months ago and it wasn't an issue. Briefly explained the visa had been activated and why that was needed and then told them this is the actual migration flight. They could probably tell the other flight wasn't a migration flight as the return ticket was used.

This was lucky I would say as many have tried the same thing after validating first and have been told no.