UK Driving Licence and AUS Driving licence

Londonpom

Hi All

Had a good look through the forums and cannot find this subject....

I am moving to Oz in October but will return to the UK in January for 3 months for work (and while my visa is processed) and then return to Oz. Basically, I will travel 2 x year back to the UK for around 3.5 months in total.

Does anyone know if one keeps both driving licences? Or if you have to relinquish one of them? I'm sure I read you are supposed to give one up...

Thanks.

Hi All

I am moving to Oz in October but will return to the UK in January for 3 months for work (and while my visa is processed) and then return to Oz. Basically, I will travel 2 x year back to the UK for around 3.5 months in total.

Does anyone know if one keeps both driving licences? Or if you have to relinquish one of them? I'm sure I read you are supposed to give one up...

Thanks.

We showed out uk licence ,back in 2006 mind , and were given full Aussie ones dint have to hand uk licences in though That's in SA

Your UK license is valid until you reach 70 unlike the Aussie one which is periodically renewed. You don't give up your UK licence.

Agree with this. What does expire every 10 years is the photo card part. And unless you are resident in the UK and able therefore to renew it, you just leave it as is. Should you return to live there, then you apply for a new photo card part (the paper part remains valid till 70 iirc).

Got a Queensland licence in 2013, just showed the UK one and allowed to keep it. The maximum you can have a Queensland license is 5 years, after which you have to pay a load more money to renew it.

Just as an aside the paper part of the UK licence is now dead and buried. You just have the plastic card like everywhere else. Unless of course, like my sister, you haven't moved (or changed your name) since they were introduced and you have the old pink paper licence which you never have to renew until age 70.

Hi All

Thanks.

The address on your UK driving licence has to be valid (there are penalties for driving on an invalid licence) so many people change it to a relatives address when they make the move.

PS: Just noticed you've said "while my visa is processed". If you don't have a permanent visa you won't be able to obtain an Australian licence (you can continue to drive on a foreign licence - the 3 month restriction for using a foreign licence only applies to Permanent residents and citizens).

Edited by Ken

The address on your UK driving licence has to be valid (there are penalties for driving on an invalid licence) so many people change it to a relatives address when they make the move.

PS: Just noticed you've said "while my visa is processed". If you don't have a permanent visa you won't be able to obtain an Australian licence (you can continue to drive on a foreign licence - the 3 month restriction for using a foreign licence only applies to Permanent residents and citizens).

Once I'd moved to Oz I contacted DVLA about my license as it registered to a house I'd moved out of. They said tough luck, I wasn't allowed to change it to a relatives address and I couldn't change it to an Australian address. I told them that was a fantastic idea for cloning someone's id

Once I'd moved to Oz I contacted DVLA about my license as it registered to a house I'd moved out of. They said tough luck, I wasn't allowed to change it to a relatives address and I couldn't change it to an Australian address. I told them that was a fantastic idea for cloning someone's id

Well yes, they would say that if you told them you'd moved to Oz. You needed to tell them you'd moved to your relatives address (preferably before leaving the UK)! It's not strictly Kosher but does mean the DVLA can contact you if need be.

Your UK license is valid until you reach 70 unlike the Aussie one which is periodically renewed. You don't give up your UK licence.

The UK license is only valid with a valid UK address. I didn't give my licence up in that I retained it and indeed resumed using it once I returned to live permanently. But when I lived in Australia and just visited the UK, I only ever used the Australian licence for driving on / hiring cars.

Well yes, they would say that if you told them you'd moved to Oz. You needed to tell them you'd moved to your relatives address (preferably before leaving the UK)! It's not strictly Kosher but does mean the DVLA can contact you if need be.

My my point was that there was no provision for people moving abroad. In a world where people move countries quite regularly. No way of stopping them writing to me.

It's possible that the person who lives in my old place knows I've gone to Oz, if the DVLA write to me at that address for any reason then the person who lives there could well apply for a license in my name. ID theft made easy

Last time I checked there was a £1,000 fine for lying to DVLA about your address. There is no need to hoodwink anyone over thiis, there is a very simple solution, which is to drive on a legitimate licence, which would be the one registered to your real address.