'No proof' salt is bad for your health

Perthbum

group of scientists are challenging the now conventional wisdom that a low-sodium diet is better for your long-term health, asking whether people should take official advice on the matter with a pinch of salt.

In a new review of the evidence, a team of experts from Columbia University found there were “two distinct bodies of scholarship” on the matter – those who believe reducing salt intake will improve the overall health of the population, and those who don’t.

Watching your salt intake has become one of the core pieces of dietary advice in the UK in recent years, and in the US it has got to the point where New York is requiring by law that restaurants label salt content in their food.

So it will be a surprise to many to find that just 54 per cent of the 269 academic reports included in the review found in favour of a salt reduction hypothesis.

salt-istock.jpgREAD MORE

[h=2]How bad is salt for you, really?[/h]

Of the rest, a sizeable 33 per cent came to the conclusion that reducing salt makes no difference to long-term health, while 13 per cent were inconclusive.

That’s not to say there isn’t plenty of evidence linking salt intake to high blood pressure over time.

But, report co-author Ludovic Trinquart told the New York Post: “We simply found no definitive proof that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks or strokes for people with normal blood pressure.”

The matter has come to a head in New York where, on Monday, a judge ordered a delay to the new labelling law which had been branded “arbitrary and capricious” by the National Restaurant Association.

But don’t expect public health advice on the matter to change in the UK any time soon.

group of scientists are challenging the now conventional wisdom that a low-sodium diet is better for your long-term health, asking whether people should take official advice on the matter with a pinch of salt.

In a new review of the evidence, a team of experts from Columbia University found there were “two distinct bodies of scholarship” on the matter – those who believe reducing salt intake will improve the overall health of the population, and those who don’t.

Watching your salt intake has become one of the core pieces of dietary advice in the UK in recent years, and in the US it has got to the point where New York is requiring by law that restaurants label salt content in their food.

So it will be a surprise to many to find that just 54 per cent of the 269 academic reports included in the review found in favour of a salt reduction hypothesis.

salt-istock.jpgREAD MORE

How bad is salt for you, really?

Of the rest, a sizeable 33 per cent came to the conclusion that reducing salt makes no difference to long-term health, while 13 per cent were inconclusive.

That’s not to say there isn’t plenty of evidence linking salt intake to high blood pressure over time.

But, report co-author Ludovic Trinquart told the New York Post: “We simply found no definitive proof that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks or strokes for people with normal blood pressure.”

The matter has come to a head in New York where, on Monday, a judge ordered a delay to the new labelling law which had been branded “arbitrary and capricious” by the National Restaurant Association.

But don’t expect public health advice on the matter to change in the UK any time soon.

After a long bike ride, I sometimes feel unwell. I drink weak cordial with a pinch of salt, and I immediately feel better.

I probably have quite a high salt diet.

My blood pressure is one of the few things in my favour. It's always been around 120/80, except when I was a kid it was 110/70. Resting pulse of around 50.

But I guess it affects people differently.

This is nothing new.

Three or four years ago, there were studies published that found some people were sensitive to salt and it makes their blood pressure go up, but many people can eat a high-salt diet and it has no effect on their blood pressure whatsoever. Presumably it's something in the genes.

An interesting NHS analysis of that particular study here. I always check out the NHS Behind The Headlines for stories like this.

Edited by Croft

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob - The best test I have come across for margarine v butter is to leave some margarine outside over night - nothing will touch it, not even insects. Leave butter outside and it will all be gone by next morning. Unnatural v natural product. I only ever eat butter and my bad cholesterol went down as soon as I started doing that.

I'm suspicious of these sort of reports. Just who is sponsoring them for starters? I think it has been well established that excessive salt is bad for a lot of people. It raises hypertension. One just needs to measure ones own blood pressure, if prone to such a thing, to witness an increase after consuming salty meals. Pizza comes to mind. The salt industry has long sought to cloud the waters. I expect mounting pressure around the excessive use of salt in so many foods may have prompted such a survey.

It should be noted hypertension is one of society's biggest killers. It should not be, nor the things that contribute towards factors leading up to elevated levels not be taking seriously.

I'm suspicious of these sort of reports. Just who is sponsoring them for starters? I think it has been well established that excessive salt is bad for a lot of people. It raises hypertension. One just needs to measure ones own blood pressure, if prone to such a thing, to witness an increase after consuming salty meals. Pizza comes to mind. The salt industry has long sought to cloud the waters. I expect mounting pressure around the excessive use of salt in so many foods may have prompted such a survey.

It should be noted hypertension is one of society's biggest killers. It should not be, nor the things that contribute towards factors leading up to elevated levels not be taking seriously.

I think that is the key. These things affect people differently, and we don't know how they will affect us. My mother has high blood pressure, my father has low blood pressure. I have average. I guess I'm lucky. Many people aren't.

I think that is the key. These things affect people differently, and we don't know how they will affect us. My mother has high blood pressure, my father has low blood pressure. I have average. I guess I'm lucky. Many people aren't.

High blood pressure is a growing issue. Read the other day that 30% of the American population are as such. I know when I consume certain salty foods, which rarely do, mine goes right up. Not to difficult to sense. It is called the silent killer for very good reason though. Many live with it without knowing. I do not believe salt should in any way be underrated as a health risk.

A lot depends on how much physical exercise we do a day. In times when most are chained to a desk though, we require a very low salt intake. Most of us overdo it.

You are indeed fortunate to have low pressure. Those of us that appear to have inherited it have a hell of a job to keep it in check.