Aus Passport

namron1

Apologies if I am raising a question already answered in the forum but I have not found the answer

I already have Aus citizenship but not gone for the passport as yet.

I am planning on returning to the UK for a period of around 5 years and then returning back to Aus to live.

Currently only hold UK passport, was intending to leave obtaining a Aus passport until I would be returning to Aus.

Has anyone e done similar approach, have they experiencing any problems in getting their first Aus passport whilst living in the UK?

Are there any issues or problems with leaving on a UK passport as a Aus citizen and obtaining the Aus passport whilst living in UK

By the time I plan to return my PR visa will have expired by around 6 years

What the others have said. If you are now an Aus citizen, your visa is no longer.

And you are supposed to depart and enter Aus on your Aus passport. TBH given they are valid for 10 years I'd get one now before you leave Aus and be done with it. Probably easier to get here than in the UK (first passport might require a trip to the Aus high commission in London or some such). Its not expensive and is back within a few weeks.

It would be interesting to know how they can actually stop you leaving the country! There is no obligation on any citizen to have an Australian passport and if the OP has a passport (the clue is in the name!) which allows them to travel on so can a country imprison (well, not allow them to leave) a citizen who has perfect right of travel with an alien passport. I don't know the answer but I think it would be impossible to police.

They can't stop you leaving but if you go through immigration on a passport that doesn't have a valid visa you might get stopped and asked a few questions. I also think it's easier to get a passport in Australia as getting a first one in the UK requires a trip to the embassy in London.

It would be interesting to know how they can actually stop you leaving the country! There is no obligation on any citizen to have an Australian passport and if the OP has a passport (the clue is in the name!) which allows them to travel on so can a country imprison (well, not allow them to leave) a citizen who has perfect right of travel with an alien passport. I don't know the answer but I think it would be impossible to police.

As NicF said, you may get a few questions. In fact, as you would be deliberately circumventing the requirement that clearly states a citizen must travel with an Australian passport, they can make life as difficult for you as they like.

As NicF said, you may get a few questions. In fact, as you would be deliberately circumventing the requirement that clearly states a citizen must travel with an Australian passport, they can make life as difficult for you as they like.

I'm sure they would make life difficult but hard to see how they could actually stop you. As a citizen you need neither visa nor passport - just hypothetical of course, I don't think they can enforce the "leaving on Aus passport". It'd be interesting to hear from a lawyer what they could actually do to stop you if you have a passport issued by another country. I think it's a furphy actually

I'm sure they would make life difficult but hard to see how they could actually stop you. As a citizen you need neither visa nor passport - just hypothetical of course, I don't think they can enforce the "leaving on Aus passport". It'd be interesting to hear from a lawyer what they could actually do to stop you if you have a passport issued by another country. I think it's a furphy actually

The exact wording on the DIBP website is "If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia" but "should" does not mean the same as "must on pain of penalty or imprisonment". While I've got an Australian passport and will use that when leaving and entering I'm not convinced it's such a big deal if you don't have it when leaving. If will be a big deal when trying to get back to Australia though. The problem being the airlines will probably refuse to carry you because you don't have a valid visa (and a citizenship certificate won't show up on their system and they won't have any way of knowing if it's genuine or not) so you'd end up having to visit a High Commission or Embassy.

They can't really I don't think but I don't think you see it from all sides. Your view seems to be that a non Aus passport is fine so why bother with an Aus one? They do ask people who are Aus citizens to enter and depart Aus on their Aus passports is my understanding. If it's like the UK this is becaus it's now a digital set up and they can track who is coming and going citizen wise is all. Departing on a different passport would not give a clear picture. Makes sense to me in this digital age.

There is no hard and fast law that I am aware of and I am sure plenty of dual citizens do use an overseas passport to depart Aus but just because you hold a valid passport for another country it should not mean you don't then use a passport from the country you have gained citizenship from and are currently residing in IMHO. Or returning to.

If you choose to become a citizen of a country and to leave its borders you should be prepared to use that country's passport. Same to re enter. That is all IMHO of course.

Edited by Guest
typo

They can't really I don't think but I don't think you see it from all sides. Your view seems to be that a non Aus passport is fine so why bother with an Aus one? They do ask people who are Aus citizens to enter and depart Aus on their Aus passports is my understanding. If it's like the UK this is becaus it's now a digital set up and they can track who is coming and going citizen wise is all. Departing on a different passport would not give a clear picture. Makes sense to me in this digital age.

There is no hard and fast law that I am aware of and I am sure plenty of dual citizens do use an overseas passport to depart Aus but just because you hold a valid passport for another country it should not mean you don't then use a passport from the country you have gained citizenship from and are currently residing in IMHO. Or returning to.

If you choose to become a citizen of a country and to leave its borders you should be prepared to use that country's passport. Same to re enter. That is all IMHO of course.

But other countries don't require you to leave on the passport of that country. Personally I have no problem leaving on my Aussie passport because I always keep both current, my question is - if you have a valid (other country) passport, how can they MAKE you leave on an Australian passport? They can't detain you, surely? It may well be that there are circumstances which mean you haven't got a current passport - so what can they do besides wag a finger and tell you not to do it again? I'm tempted to try just for the hell of it! Of course I can see that one has to enter on an Australian passport (and I wish the Poms would do the same!). I don't think maintenance of their database is really a legitimate excuse for unwarranted detention.

The passport is proof of your citizenship and far more convenient to carry than your Citizenship certificate (IMHO). I don't think you'd have any problems leaving but would have a delay re-entering Aus on return - who wants to be held up after long journey?

But other countries don't require you to leave on the passport of that country. Personally I have no problem leaving on my Aussie passport because I always keep both current, my question is - if you have a valid (other country) passport, how can they MAKE you leave on an Australian passport? They can't detain you, surely? It may well be that there are circumstances which mean you haven't got a current passport - so what can they do besides wag a finger and tell you not to do it again? I'm tempted to try just for the hell of it! Of course I can see that one has to enter on an Australian passport (and I wish the Poms would do the same!). I don't think maintenance of their database is really a legitimate excuse for unwarranted detention.

I think this is what most folk would call being "pig headed!". Can't see why you cannot make it easy and non time wasting for both yourself and immigration officials at the border just by getting a Passport now.

But other countries don't require you to leave on the passport of that country.

I think you'll find many do expect the passport for that country to be used if they are a citizen. I know the US does. And given how particular they are grilling people entering and leaving the US, it could be an issue. As I said, in this day and age of computerised everything and databases, its all linked and we are in the system. Biometrics and all that too. There are probably many reasons why you should leave and enter a country on its passport if its held, the data aspect is only one of them.

I don't think most countries would detain someone but surely its common sense if you take out citizenship of a country to have its passport also? Perhaps not if you never intend to leave its shores but if you do intend to travel, it makes sense for ease going and coming back and other things. I find it a bit strange to take out dual citizenship but then to only hold one passport and that one for a country you are not a long term resident of at that time.

From US Dept of State

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. nationality. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose nationality.

An interesting point is that you don't require a UK passport to enter or leave the UK - you just have to prove you have the right of abode. Now, if you're stuck at the border without a UK passport trying to prove that to a Border Force official good luck to you. They probably wouldn't turn you away, but you'd spend a huge amount of time stuck in an interview room while they check you out.

I fail to see why someone would go through all the citizenship process and then not obtain an Australian passport if leaving the country. It is certainly a lot easier to obtain one whilst in Australia than overseas...... and what happens if you have to come back in a hurry for something and don't have a passport?

An interesting point is that you don't require a UK passport to enter or leave the UK - you just have to prove you have the right of abode. Now, if you're stuck at the border without a UK passport trying to prove that to a Border Force official good luck to you. They probably wouldn't turn you away, but you'd spend a huge amount of time stuck in an interview room while they check you out.

We just had a friends stopped for over two hours because he had a one way ticket and flew into the UK on his Aussie passport ( done after an emergency in Oz saw him have to cancel his return ticket )

His uk passport expired years ago ,he will now renew it ,but he said he was given a reall grilling for a while

We inadvertently showed UK passports on the way out to Oz one time and we were immediately pulled up and had to produce or Aussie passports as there was now visa in the UK passport

Far easier to have both and travel easy

Edited by Patphillips47

The passport is proof of your citizenship and far more convenient to carry than your Citizenship certificate (IMHO). I don't think you'd have any problems leaving but would have a delay re-entering Aus on return - who wants to be held up after long journey?

Most airlines wouldn't allow to board the plane anyway as airlines are obliged to check if all passengers boarding a flight carry a visa as otherwise they have to pay hefty penalties and are responsible to return passengers as well.

What I do not get is the fact why take on another countries citizenship when not willing to pay for a passport? Australia offers an alternative: an 'instant' RRV for 5 years within 1 minute done online (360 AUD) which is cheaper than citizenship application costs (265 AUD once) + passport (254 AUD currently every 10 years).

Nowadays some people are just preferring this hedonistic attitude: taking all advantages they can get but not willing to pay the price!

Edited by silencio

Most airlines wouldn't allow to board the plane anyway as airlines are obliged to check if all passengers boarding a flight carry a visa as otherwise they have to pay hefty penalties and are responsible to return passengers as well.

What I do not get is the fact why take on another countries citizenship when not willing to pay for a passport? Australia offers an alternative: an 'instant' RRV for 5 years within 1 minute done online (360 AUD) which is cheaper than citizenship application costs (265 AUD once) + passport (254 AUD currently every 10 years).

Nowadays some people are just preferring this hedonistic attitude: taking all advantages they can get but not willing to pay the price!

When I took Australian citizenship, at a cost of $265, I saved $350 six days later when paying for my University tuition. I had not realised that as I was now a citizen I was eligible for HECS-HELP, and as I was paying up front (as I was obliged to do when I had PR) I was eligible for a 10% discount.

It's not hedonistic - it is a legitimate query - of course, most of us, most of the time do the right thing but if for temporal or financial or even absent minded reasons one doesn't have an Australian passport the bottom line is that they can't stop you from going (much as they would like to, no doubt) as long as you have a valid passport from somewhere. No one is saying nah don't bother with the Australian one! Personally I would love to see UK have the same "should" regulations but effectively they cannot enforce it and detain you from "passing through the port". Of course, entering is a whole different ball game, no one is saying that - I believe it is technically possible but a real palaver with phone calls across the world etc. This isn't about judgment about whether you should or should not have both passports - personally both of mine are always up to date because anything less is silly but I can think of loads of instances where one might not be available in which case border control can posture all they like but they can't prevent you from leaving

Spend $254 and get a little book that will help you sleep at night. Your 5 year jaunt may turn into something a bit longer and who knows what would change in that time.

2 months after receiving my first passport I was made a very good job offer on the condition that I could fly out of Australia to Singapore the next day. I went.

• 4 months later...

I get citizenship cermony on australia day so want apply for daugher and my passport asap, i see they dont display paper applications these days you need to ask for them which i did. But i see you can apply online any benefit from doing it online vs paper?

I know with paper application i can pre fill it have the guarantor filled in make appointment asap and all done. Where as onlibe i cant apply till i have done cermony and have a cert number.

As it does not allow you to progress until you have it.

As australia day is a public holiday it be closed that day anyway but i wanted to at least get it all done ready for next day.

If i did it online then it take me a bit longer as i will need to get hold of the guarantor etc.

You still need to make appointment at post office regardless what way you apply but wondered if any reason to do online vs paper application.

Just want to get it sent off asap and with having paper form already filled in i can then just add cert number and its done.

Anyone on here who has applied for passport after citizenship did you use recent or older photos?

I believe i needed for when applying for citizenship or might have been something else cant remember.

Anyway i have only used like one photo from the bunch of 6 and same with daughter.

So 5 left of each.

It says to use within 6 months are they kiding me? Im sure the post office regardless in the world has been dated is this just to try and grab more money off you?

My daughters ones expired about month ago and mine maybe two months ago it has date of when taken and when expires.

It says not to be used for id purposes really?

The dates are not stamped on photos so its not as if they know just at the side of bunch of 6.

So gets cut off anyway.

I really dont fancy spending out on two sets of photos when clearly i have already.

Are they to know when it was taken?