Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep

What not to miss in Tassie?

Thinking of a holiday in Tassie (January), is it a good time to visit? What are the things we must do or see. We're planning on hiring a car and probably only going to be about 5 days as will be having a few days in Melbourne on the way home.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1777 times
      Rep
      Curried scallop pies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      From Kilmarnock, now in Melbourne :-)

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Suzukiscottie View Post
      Curried scallop pies!

I was thinking more of sightseeing lol ... but my hubby will be game.
      I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      10193 times
      Rep
      ............port Arthur....!
      ............the gardens are amazing.......and an interesting walk back through time....
      ............and Richmond........a lovely place with nice antique shops......
      .............so many places but perhaps the Cadbury factory if you like chocolate....
      ..............Salamanca markets........and fish and chips in Hobart...
      Attached Images Attached Images

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      306 times
      Rep
      Freycinet national park. Stay at Meredeth House in Swansea. Fantastic hosts!
      Visit Wineglass Bay, wine-tasting locally is fab and just relax around Coles Bay. Absolutely stunning.
      Australia grabs you, and it won't let go!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1777 times
      Rep
      There's a brilliant waffle place on the main road south of Devonport if you're going on the ferry. (Their waffles are massive!) And a great bakery for early morning ferry passengers at Elizabethtown.

Port Arthur really needs a whole day, but if you can't get there early enough, your ticket will get you in the second day for free!

The Airwalk at Tahune forest was good; 50m up in the tree canopy!! We were there a few months back but I guess it would be even better in summer.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4191 times
      Rep
      The great thing about Tassie is that it's so compact so you'll be able to cover a lot of ground.

We did a tour a few years ago, this article covers all the things that really stuck in my mind:
      http://hubpages.com/travel/Touring-Tasmania-Australia
      Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Australian husband applied for UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Australia June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1777 times
      Rep
      Tea and scones, or something more substantial, at the Signal Station at Mt Nelson. Lots of history, and great views too.

The views from Mt Wellington are pretty good if its clear of cloud at the top!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Tasmania is nearly as big as Ireland so there is really quite a lot of sight seeing to do. I like to look through the old towns such as Ross and Richmond and a few others. Lots of lovely coastline with some nice little seaside towns then there's mountains, lakes and forests. Plenty to keep you busy Ali.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4191 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by JockinTas View Post
      Tasmania is nearly as big as Ireland so there is really quite a lot of sight seeing to do. I like to look through the old towns such as Ross and Richmond and a few others. Lots of lovely coastline with some nice little seaside towns then there's mountains, lakes and forests. Plenty to keep you busy Ali.
      "Nearly as big as Ireland" is still pretty small compared to the rest of Australia! I agree there is a lot to see but the good thing is it's all fairly close together by Australian standards.
      Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Australian husband applied for UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Australia June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast