What not to miss in Tassie?

ali

Thinking of a holiday in Tassie (January), is it a good time to visit? What are the things we must do or see. We're planning on hiring a car and probably only going to be about 5 days as will be having a few days in Melbourne on the way home.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

............port Arthur....!

............the gardens are amazing.......and an interesting walk back through time....

............and Richmond........a lovely place with nice antique shops......

.............so many places but perhaps the Cadbury factory if you like chocolate....

..............Salamanca markets........and fish and chips in Hobart...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There's a brilliant waffle place on the main road south of Devonport if you're going on the ferry. (Their waffles are massive!) And a great bakery for early morning ferry passengers at Elizabethtown.

Port Arthur really needs a whole day, but if you can't get there early enough, your ticket will get you in the second day for free!

The Airwalk at Tahune forest was good; 50m up in the tree canopy!! We were there a few months back but I guess it would be even better in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmania is nearly as big as Ireland so there is really quite a lot of sight seeing to do. I like to look through the old towns such as Ross and Richmond and a few others. Lots of lovely coastline with some nice little seaside towns then there's mountains, lakes and forests. Plenty to keep you busy Ali.

Tasmania is nearly as big as Ireland so there is really quite a lot of sight seeing to do. I like to look through the old towns such as Ross and Richmond and a few others. Lots of lovely coastline with some nice little seaside towns then there's mountains, lakes and forests. Plenty to keep you busy Ali.

"Nearly as big as Ireland" is still pretty small compared to the rest of Australia! I agree there is a lot to see but the good thing is it's all fairly close together by Australian standards.

"Nearly as big as Ireland" is still pretty small compared to the rest of Australia! I agree there is a lot to see but the good thing is it's all fairly close together by Australian standards.

By Australian standards yes it is. A bit like Ireland though in that the roads are smaller and twisty and driving around, especially off the really touristy bits, can take longer than you think.

Loved our trip there, Marisa's report is about right, but Google the Wall at Derwent(?) absolutely amazing and also the wood carvings at Ledgerwood, both really recommended and not to be missed if possible.

There is a really spooky area on Cradle Mountain, covered in lichen.

Think it might be the Ballroom forest?

Edited by ramot

............port Arthur....!

............the gardens are amazing.......and an interesting walk back through time....

............and Richmond........a lovely place with nice antique shops......

.............so many places but perhaps the Cadbury factory if you like chocolate....

..............Salamanca markets........and fish and chips in Hobart...

Long way to go for fish and chips.

This is a good place to start and has suggestions for self drive itineraries. Take note of driving times because roads tend to be more winding, hilly/mountainous and narrow than on the mainland and underestimating driving times is common.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/what-to-do/self-drive

I'd agree with most on the following list. Obviously you won't cover all in 5 days but it's a good sample which covers the state.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255096-Activities-Tasmania.html

• Like 1

It is but Mures on the Hobart dockside do good fish and chips. Could be very touristy and crowded in January though. It was when we were there.

Yes - like feeding time at the zoo whenever I've been. :rolleyes: Nice if you can get a table outside beside the dock on a long summer evening. For the actual food think I prefer Fish Frenzy on Elizabeth Street Pier ( the next one along from Mure's). The Dunalley Hotel and Dunalley Fish Market - on the way between Hobart and Port Arthur - are both excellent for fish and chips meals. For something a little more upmarket there is the Bangor Wine and Oyster Shed nearby. :wubclub:

Now you've got me thinking about what is great about Tasmania in January...and I'm thinking berries. :wubclub:

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm Cafe at Elizabeth Town on the way from Devonport to Launceston.

http://raspberryfarmcafe.com/

But before you stop there if you're driving from Devonport you'd have to stop at the cafe at the House of Anvers (the creation of a master Belgian chocolate maker) at Latrobe. Lots of lovely chocolatey (and non chocolatey) food.

http://anvers-chocolate.com.au/#intro

...........a 2 hour 45 minute flight.....

...........about an hour getting to and from airports.....

............if I left now I could easily make it for dinner......

............with a walk round the harbour first.....

I would have thought something 'more local' just as satisfying. Don't believe fish and chips is totally alien even to a place like Qld.

I would have thought something 'more local' just as satisfying. Don't believe fish and chips is totally alien even to a place like Qld.

............indeed there is.......my favourite only 15 minutes away...!

............but one of the perks of the east coast.....

.............so much in easy reach....

............and I second Mures OP...!

............wonderful seafood....