Travel during Citizenship application

Joanna82

Hi all,

I couldn’t find a definite answer on this question, can I leave the country in between applying for citizenship and sitting the test / getting approved? I know I have to be onshore for the approval, but does this include the waiting period?

Thanks!

Hi Joanna,

After applying online for my citizenship I had to return to the UK suddenly before my test/interview date which wasn't a problem (I already knew the date for my test and arrived back in Oz the week before). After you have sat the test, should you wish to leave the country before the citizenship ceremony they suggest you call and inform them.

Hi Joanna,

After applying online for my citizenship I had to return to the UK suddenly before my test/interview date which wasn't a problem (I already knew the date for my test and arrived back in Oz the week before). After you have sat the test, should you wish to leave the country before the citizenship ceremony they suggest you call and inform them.

Thanks! Was this fairly recently?

Thanks! Was this fairly recently?

Yes it was recent, we got back from the UK at the end of July and had our test the first week of August.

We initially had our test booked for the last week of June and we went along to it but unfortunately we had the incorrect birth certificate (need a long birth certificate which shows your parents on it) so they were unable to proceed with our application but they rebooked us to go back the first week in August with the correct documents. I knew at this stage that I might have to return to the UK as a family member was ill so I asked them if there was a problem with leaving the country before coming back to take our test in August and they said there was no problem at all with it.