Final stages of visa. But where to live? x

ukclarkes

We are hopefully making the move to NSW after a long two years of visa process and all the hurdles we had to cross but finally we have been giving a case officer so things are looking positive. Form 80, police checks and Medicals are nearly done.

We are moving to Northan Inland NSW, my husband is a welder fabricator by trade. We have been looking into Tamworth or Gunnedah.

We are a family of 4, Myself 30, My husband 32 and our two children 2 and 10.

Any feedback on where to live would be very much appreciated, I have been researching but some advise would help.

Thanks.

We are hopefully making the move to NSW after a long two years of visa process and all the hurdles we had to cross but finally we have been giving a case officer so things are looking positive. Form 80, police checks and Medicals are nearly done.

We are moving to Northan Inland NSW, my husband is a welder fabricator by trade. We have been looking into Tamworth or Gunnedah.

We are a family of 4, Myself 30, My husband 32 and our two children 2 and 10.

Any feedback on where to live would be very much appreciated, I have been researching but some advise would help.

Thanks.

G'day mate, if you really do want northern NSW, I would suggest Tamworth over Gunnedah and Armidale over Gunnedah. Tamworth is mixed farming and manufacturing, Armidale is a university town and Gunnedah is strictly farming. Might throw in Grafton over Gunny, too, being on Highway 1

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you. I have always thought Tamworth after hours of research, just needed some advice thank you for taking your time to read my post.

Goodoh. If you do decide, look at the east and north east for accom. (the road to Armidale) rather than the south or west (coming on to the plains)

Used to go to Tamworth for groceries, or Main Roads seminars...

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you. I have always thought Tamworth after hours of research, just needed some advice thank you for taking your time to read my post.

Have you been? I am curious as to why you have chosen regional Australia, quite a culture shock to anyone in the UK..

.........I second Tamworth....!

.........a large town......with good and varied shopping facilities in the CBD....

.........well known for its country musical festival.......and a great place for equine enthusiasts....

.........lots of schools to choose from......also has a performing arts academy....

..........and being roughly halfway between Brisbane and Sydney gives you two major cities about an hours flight away...

..........a nice place.....IMO....

Well......... To cut a long story short, when we first decided to emigrate to Oz we choose Perth flew out there for two months and loved it. So we started our visa process all was great until we hit the ENGLISH TEST!!! My husband is rather bright but he could not pass the English he kept on failing by half marks and it just became to much pressure. So we thought Oz was over, but our migration agent explained we did have other choices. So again back to the drawing board research research research as this time we were going for state nomination and Perth was no longer an option, so we choose Northan Inland NSW. We were going to plan another trip to Oz but we are sick of wasting money.

I know NSW is some what different to Perth.

But we can only try and if it works it works if it doesn't then so be it, but least we will know.

Thank You for all these comments.

I can't wait to hear back from the visa office. The only thing am dreading if we do get our visas is the plane journey! What a difference in time of journey and price. And also not been able to have a propa English cup of tea. X

• 2 weeks later...

We are in a similar position...my occupation (social worker) was taken off the Queensland list for state nomination (489 visa) earlier this summer and so we have been looking for alternative options.

It seems as though regional NSW is also a possibility for us and we have been doing lots of research on Tamworth also. I must admit I am a little worried about how we will find it, but I guess sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

We are going to visit my sister who lives on the Sunshine Coast at Christmas and will take a trip down to Tamworth for a quick look around. Great practical advice on areas to look for/avoid Bobj- thank you.

Good luck with your journey ukclarkes and perhaps we can hook up for a cuppa in Tamworth one day..!!

@ukclarkes - do you have the option of one of the coastal regions? I rather like Armidale because it's up on a plateau which means it doesn't get the blistering hot, dusty summer days that most inland towns suffer from. But even that is a very long way from the kind of life most Brits imagine Australia offers. The sea breezes on the coast make a huge difference to the climate - plus there's the sea to jump into when it really gets hot!

@ukclarkes - do you have the option of one of the coastal regions? I rather like Armidale because it's up on a plateau which means it doesn't get the blistering hot, dusty summer days that most inland towns suffer from. But even that is a very long way from the kind of life most Brits imagine Australia offers. The sea breezes on the coast make a huge difference to the climate - plus there's the sea to jump into when it really gets hot!

Gotta have a big giggle at that...Lived in Kununurra, literally worked out on the roads, temperatures over the century, went to Glen Innes for a holiday...And got sunburned...:laugh::laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Tamworth has a fantastic downtown main/shopping street (Peel street?). One of the best I've seen. However, watch out for flies! I was there in April and they were relentless.

At least something was happy to meet you...:wink:

And yes, it is Peel Street.icon14.png

cheers, Bobj.

Gotta have a big giggle at that...Lived in Kununurra, literally worked out on the roads, temperatures over the century, went to Glen Innes for a holiday...And got sunburned...:laugh::laugh:

I didn't say the sun wasn't hot, but being at a higher altitude means the air is cooler so it feels more comfortable (maybe that's why you got burned, because it didn't feel so hot so it caught you unawares!)