Urgent flight back to UK with less than 4 weeks passport validity

w1johnston

Hi All,

I need to travel back to the UK for a few days after some sad news about a family member, I am just a little concerned that my passport is due to expire in about 4 weeks. I will be travelling in the next few days and return before it expires, I will not be stopping off in any other countries in either direction. I have searched google and the results seem to point to it being fine, I'd just like to hear from someone that has done this or knows for sure. I have a British passport.

Many thanks

W1

Edited by w1johnston

Hi All,

I need to travel back to the UK for a few days after some sad news about a family member, I am just a little concerned that my passport is due to expire in about 4 weeks. I will be travelling in the next few days and return before it expires, I will not be stopping off in any other countries in either direction. I have searched google and the results seem to point to it being fine, I'd just like to hear from someone that has done this or knows for sure. I have a British passport.

Many thanks

W1

Both Australia and the uK will be happy as long as the passport is valid when you travel- they don't have any rules like '6 months validity'

Hi All,

Many thanks

W1

Your British passport will be fine to get in to the UK, and if you do not have an Aussie passport and your Aus visa (holiday visa excepted) is linked to your UK passport it will be OK to return to Aus. other time limits are country by country requirements, which vary from valid whilst in that country up to needing to be 6 months before expiry.

Hi All,

Many thanks

W1

conatct the airline your flying with my son was knocked back with Singpaore airlines from a flight to Thailand and he had 5 months on his passport It's often the airline not immigration etc that's the problem My son by the way has a UK passport too

We flew with Singapore at Christmas and my youngest had less than 6 months on both his passports. We were able to fly with no problems although we were not able to check in online. You will not be able to leave the airport you are transiting through if they have a six month validity rule though. We went via Singapore and had hoped to do one of the bus tours but couldn't due to the youngest's passport validity.

conatct the airline your flying with my son was knocked back with Singpaore airlines from a flight to Thailand and he had 5 months on his passport It's often the airline not immigration etc that's the problem My son by the way has a UK passport too

In your son's case it would have been that Thailand require six months validity on the passport, and not the fault of the airline. I think (although I may be wrong) the UK require 6 months validity but this doesn't apply to citizens and they cannot turn citizens away.

Only if you have a stop over will the passport need to be valid for a period as set by individual countries. The OP seem to indicate that they are going straight to UK.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried to book through Flight Centre and they said that while they are happy to take my money, I will be refused to board the flight.... I challenged that and asked why, "oh it's the airline rules...." I will contact QNtas to confirm as the flight was with them.

Thanks

w1

I've tried to book through Flight Centre and they said that while they are happy to take my money, I will be refused to board the flight.... I challenged that and asked why, "oh it's the airline rules...." I will contact QNtas to confirm as the flight was with them.

Thanks

w1

Yeh! travel agents know everything:nah: the time limits are tourist related to countries other than that of your passport.

Good luck

In your son's case it would have been that Thailand require six months validity on the passport, and not the fault of the airline. I think (although I may be wrong) the UK require 6 months validity but this doesn't apply to citizens and they cannot turn citizens away.

Yes your probably right the holiday was to Thailand - well it almost wasn't ! I had dropped my sone at the airport when he rang to say he was stopped at check in Luckily in some ways my daughter in law panicked and had an asthma attack so they were covered as an emergency and flew later once he renewed his passport Must admit I am paranoid now and check mine religiously

Yes your probably right the holiday was to Thailand - well it almost wasn't ! I had dropped my sone at the airport when he rang to say he was stopped at check in Luckily in some ways my daughter in law panicked and had an asthma attack so they were covered as an emergency and flew later once he renewed his passport Must admit I am paranoid now and check mine religiously

I've always renewed ours, even the Australian ones which means a trip up to London and a day off work. (Two trips last time doh!).

I just have enough to deal with when flying and don't want some jobs worth causing me to pop an artery.

Maybe an emergency passport could be worth the money? (If that is suitable and doesn't just contain the same dates as the original)

I don't know what the renewal times would be at the moment. It is august, so I imagine quite slow.

The UK doesn't have a 6 month requirement.

Thanks

w1

If you are just flying Oz - UK - Oz with no stopovers then the passport just needs to be valid when you enter each country.