Dont want to use an agent, is there anywhere else i can go for help with just form filling?

krisjen01

Hi,

We know we have enough points to apply for 189 visa, well we have to pass the skills assessment properly but every agent i have spoken to states we have enough points and when ive worked it out myself we do.

My only problem is im so worried about ticking the wrong thing, i went to fill in the skills assessment and just scared of submitting incase ive done anything wrong.

Is there any other places or people to go to just for form filling help?

Thank you

I don't think you can put a price on peace of mind when it comes to filling out the documents. They only get harder and more in depth. In my opinion its not worth the potential further time lost and cost if a mistake is made but that's just me

I did it myself years back and I had a friend helping me out, so I didn't forget anything or made a mistake. I also went to the free legal aid for them just read through and see if they had anything to add. I did made a mistake but my friend pointed that out so it all worked out well in the end.

You either pay to get some professional assistance from a registered migration, or you get help from amateurs who may or may not know the correct answers either. Many people manage it fine without a registered migration agent, but for a few hundred dollars you can often get an agent to do an application review to confirm you haven't missed something simple.

Hi,

We know we have enough points to apply for 189 visa, well we have to pass the skills assessment properly but every agent i have spoken to states we have enough points and when ive worked it out myself we do.

My only problem is im so worried about ticking the wrong thing, i went to fill in the skills assessment and just scared of submitting incase ive done anything wrong.

Is there any other places or people to go to just for form filling help?

Thank you

Plenty of people do it themselves successfully, but you should understand that there is a lot more to it than filling forms out. In fact filling in a form is the easy bit, it is not full of trick questions to catch you out. If you go through it slowly, answer the questions on the form, leave it a day or two, go back and check, well it is unlikely that you are going through fill a form out so badly that it would jeopardise the process.

So not it is not that I would be most wary of, it is the *reading* that is critical. It is understanding the process, what order to do things in, what are the pitfalls. Forums can help with some questions, but anybody doing this themselves has to do a lot of reading before going anywhere near form filling in.

Why don't you want to use an agent?

As you say, it would be a great pity if you got refused a visa just because you made a silly mistake on your application, and it does happen. If migrating is important to you, then pay the agent's fees!

The cost of a agent is chickenfeed compared to the overall cost of migrating - if you feel you cant afford an agent then you probably can't afford to emigrate IMO.

Agents are, in my opinion, vital. I have seen too many people make a simple error that results in a refusal and it is easy to do.

Not long ago i heard of a Dr receiving a refusal for putting an incorrect date on one of the pieces of paperwork. Not only was it a loss of the fee - very expensive, but also a ban from reapplying for 3 years.

Agents are, in my opinion, vital. I have seen too many people make a simple error that results in a refusal and it is easy to do.

Not long ago i heard of a Dr receiving a refusal for putting an incorrect date on one of the pieces of paperwork. Not only was it a loss of the fee - very expensive, but also a ban from reapplying for 3 years.

You do not get a ban for making a mistake on an application form. Bans occur when people overstay or make fraudulent applications.

And an incorrect date itself would not result in a refusal, mistakes can be corrected and immigration offer the opportunity to address mistakes. An incorrect date would only be a refusal if it led to the applicant claiming more work experience points than could be verified.

I'm going solo and so far so good. There is lots of information out there and DIBP have a guidance booklet. The immigration laws are also available online which gives you a good understanding of the process and requirements. If your case is simple and you do LOTS of research then it can be navigated successfully, but you do take a risk of making a costly mistake. It is also time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ABG

Guest Priscilla101

I didn't use an agent to bring me, my daughter and our cat (pets are more tricky than humans)

the process is not designed to trick you, and adult with an understanding of English and a bit of common sense can do it (and if you don't have these, then you prob don't meet the criteria anyway)

they tell you what they want, just be honest with it

Well after researching and researching have decided to apply ourselves, any help and advice appreciated.

Hoping to get skills assessment sent to vetassess within the next week or so.

Wish there was a form checking service haha rather than full on migration agent.

Have booked to go and stay with my brother and his wife for a month in jan to check out rental prices etc and shop rental prices, have gained a few valuations for our business here in the uk, isnt mega bucks but enough to either start a new business in Rockingham or live for a while while we settle and get jobs if we get the visas.

Well after researching and researching have decided to apply ourselves, any help and advice appreciated.

Wish there was a form checking service haha rather than full on migration agent.

Have booked to go and stay with my brother and his wife for a month in jan to check out rental prices etc and shop rental prices, have gained a few valuations for our business here in the uk, isnt mega bucks but enough to either start a new business in Rockingham or live for a while while we settle and get jobs if we get the visas.

To quote a great man:

[h=1]“Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs” Henry Ford[/h]Take it in SMALL STEPS.

Great that your business is worth a few bob.

B

Our MARA agent was worth his fee twice over, especially as he was adamantly for appealing against our skills assessment rejection where we might have given up and he was correct. We appealed and were successful. Now in Australia on permanent resident visas. Considering the overall cost of moving, the stress and cost of our time we would have spent on it, paying someone really stacked up as an investment for us. Don't get me wrong, there are still lots of forms to fill in and they can't do it all for you. I got to think of it as our move being an oil tanker and our MARA agent being the ships pilot who brings it into port. We could have done it ourselves but it was miles easier with a reputable MARA agent to navigate you in. We are convinced it would have taken twice as long and cost us twice as much by filing the wrong things at the wrong time; it does seem like every bit of evidence, assessment and paperwork costs you more than just a nominal fee. Each to their own though, as I said we could have done it on our own but we are glad we didn't.

Have you tried approaching any agents? Most will do whatever sort of service you require, so if you say that you are happy to do the work yourselves but would appreciate someone looking over the final paperwork before its submitted, I'm sure there are agents out there who will quote you for that.

There are some who will take on just the character side of an application, some who will advise just on medical questions, they are there to tailor their service to your needs, try contacting some and asking.