An MRI Radiographer's Journey: Navigating the Australian immigration maze.

DukeNinja

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, so this is the final chapter of the U.K. part of the journey.

We had our medicals on Friday, March the 31st, and it was a fairly straightforward process. I had my chest X-ray done at the same centre. My spouse being 34 weeks pregnant, had the medical, but we chose to return for her X-ray following the birth of the baby, and do his medicals too.

The Dr said the results will be uploaded by the weekend, but he would notify DIBP of the pregnancy, and refer my wife until we return. True to his word, it showed up as being uploaded, with mine being cleared, and hers being referred. I left it like that for nearly two weeks, but when I checked my Immi account on the night of the 11th, it appeared that they had passed my spouse's medicals without her X-ray! We were only 2 days away from the end of the 28 day period within which you have to provide the requested information, so I decided to click on the "information provided" button anyway, and went to sleep.

Much to my surprise, I awoke the next day with emails from Immi, with the email title "Grant Notification". Now anyone else would have jumped for joy, but good old me just grunted at the thought of having to now do the baby's visa through the 101 pathway! 

I called the Adelaine office that same night to try and get some insight as to why my request for extension was not granted, but I got met with the most unhelpful of replies, from "you shouldn't have applied this early", to "it's the decision of the caseworker ultimately".

Oh, we did get our 189 granted by the way, in case this was in any doubt ?

So I am now letting myself enjoy the much earned sweet fruits of my hard labour, until the actual real labour!!!

What to do now, but start daydreaming of finally making the move - Sunshine Coast, here we come ???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

This is a great thread to follow DukeNinja! I'll be starting the whole process next month and this is just what I needed to work out what to expect along the way.

Are you still active and if so do you mind if I throw a few questions your way?

Thanks 

Gordon

23 hours ago, gord81 said:

Hi All,

This is a great thread to follow DukeNinja! I'll be starting the whole process next month and this is just what I needed to work out what to expect along the way.

Are you still active and if so do you mind if I throw a few questions your way?

Thanks 

Gordon

Hey, glad that you're finding my thread useful! Yes, I'm still active, feel free to ask any questions.

That's great thanks.

So first question is for the AIR assessment which I'm going to tackle before the AHPRA and Immigration. I've already had a few documents certified by a notary but still have some to do, in one of your posts you suggested doing this with the solicitor instead, is this due to costs?

Second question is the post graduate employment experience, I'm coming up to 2 years in September which is when I'll send the AIR application off, I saw somewhere on the thread you mention 3 years needed for the Skillselect application?

So are you in Oz now? How are you finding it?

My brother lives in Brisbane so there is a good possibility we'll end up somewhere there.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

So when I did mine, AIR (now ASMIRT) only required documents to be certified by a solicitor, and not a notary (contrary to AHPRA). Where I live, the Notary was charging £20 per document, whereas the solicitor wanted £5 per document.

With regards to the three years experience, I believe you get no points on skill select if you have less than 3 years experience, 5 points between 3-5 yrs, 10 points for 5-8 yes and 15 points for over 8 yes experience.

I'm not in Australia yet, we fly out next week to Brisbane, so will keep you posted. Hopefully we'll see you there soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've been putting this off, but its about time I faced reality. This is an accurate estimate of how much the process has cost us, not including sundries like phone call costs/photocopying etc...

IELTS book: GBP 30

IELTS fees: GBP 160

189 visa for partner and I: GBP 3400

Police checks x2: GBP 160

Medicals (2 adults+ 1 baby): GBP 700

101 visa for child: GBP 1500

AIR skills assessment: GBP 600

University Paperwork fees: GBP 120

Solicitor: GBP 150

Courier: GBP 70

AIR membership: GBP 411

AHPRA registration: GBP 500

Fit2Work x2: GBP 200

Notary: GBP 150

Courier: GBP 70

AHPRA activation visit: GBP 1500

New passports (Wife, baby and I): GBP 350

Passport photos x3 sets: GBP 30

One way flights (wife, baby and myself): GBP 920

Hotel layover in Singapore: GBP 155

18 nights Holiday rental: GBP 1200

Taxi from airport to Brisbane: GBP 55

Large MoveCube: GBP 1445

Marine Insurance: GBP 292

Deposit + 2 weeks rent for Long term rental: GBP 1800

Tdap vaccination (required for practice): GBP 40

Total running cost: GBP 16008

So I would estimate the cost for a single radiographer, moving in August, to be around: GBP 5600

This does NOT include shipping of your belongings, layover costs, or initial accommodation expenses before you start working.

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 2

Hi Gordon,
So when I did mine, AIR (now ASMIRT) only required documents to be certified by a solicitor, and not a notary (contrary to AHPRA). Where I live, the Notary was charging £20 per document, whereas the solicitor wanted £5 per document.
With regards to the three years experience, I believe you get no points on skill select if you have less than 3 years experience, 5 points between 3-5 yrs, 10 points for 5-8 yes and 15 points for over 8 yes experience.
I'm not in Australia yet, we fly out next week to Brisbane, so will keep you posted. Hopefully we'll see you there soon!

Thanks DukeNinja.

I'm a bit shy of the points needed so I'm going sit the pearson academic to hopefully get the 20 points for that.

I've got most of my documents certified now and will be ready to post next week... finally.

Did get all of the documents certified as I'm finding the AIR guidance a bit confusing. The syllabus for my uni course quite hefty and the solicitor said it will take them all afternoon to do (£££). Did you get yours certified?

So reading your last post on here I'm guessing your there now, how's it all working out for you?

Cheers
Gordon

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

2 hours ago, gord81 said:

The syllabus for my uni course quite hefty and the solicitor said it will take them all afternoon to do (£££). Did you get yours certified?

No, I didn't. You shouldn't have to either. My Uni had a service where it would send the required information in a sealed envelope directly to AIR and/or AHPRA. I think I paid £60 per set. It included everything from the cover letter, to the nitty gritty of the module descriptors. Speak to the registrar/ student services team of your uni. That way you don't have to get every single page certified. Saying that, I have heard that some solicitors will bind a set of documents, and certify this bound copy as one document, hopefully keeping costs down.

We only arrived a week ago, still feels like an expensive holiday! I guess until I start work it'll still feel dreamy.

• 2 weeks later...

OK cool, yeah I know of this service but I already splashed out on copies of all uni documents when I finished for the sole purpose of applying abroad. I've sent the application now and included the stamped copy they sent me originally........ so fingers crossed. I've already spoken with the uni in case they request a sealed copy directly and they will be ready to post.

I'm checking the royal mail tracking service every hour to make sure it arrives ok O.o

Trying to get prepared for the EOI and AHPRA applications as soon as I hear back from AIR....... Guess I've just got to hold tight and wait it out now :) (and get myself booked in for the pearson academic test too.)

Nice one. Out of the two, I think AHPRA was the stricter one with regards to sending sealed copies. You're probably doing it already, but the key to nailing the language tests is just regular practice and familiarising yourself to their formats. 

It might be worth checking whether or not you can still track your package with Royal Mail once it lands in Australia, or whether you need to check on AusPost.

I sent mine by courier, as I wanted the peace of mind that it would get there within a week. Call it paranoia!

• 1 month later...

Hey DukeNinja,

Great news..... I received my AIR assessment (successful) and passed the Pearson English exam :)

Have submitted my EOI and awaiting to hear back on that now. I'm trying to work my AHPRA application so that it ties in with getting the visa granted and making the move out there, I've a few questions about it all if you don't mind advising?

1. AHPRA - Im going to use Passport/Drivers License/Electronic tourist visa (651) for I.D requirements..... what did you use as I know you applied whilst in the UK therefore limiting options available?

2. AHPRA - I can't see anything regarding certifying CPD evidence. Does it have to be the complete folder like AIR application? and does it have to be certified?

3. AHPRA - Once granted how long do they allow you to arrive in person?

How are getting on out there now, I'm guessing you're well settled now and reaping the rewards of all these application nightmares?

Cheers 

Gordon