Gibb River Road, Talk Me Into It...

Bobj

..Or out of it. Just been perusing the distances from Kununurra to Derby. 900 km via the GNH and 650 km via the Gibb R road. Last time I did the round trip was in 1968 and I would like to see it one more time, especially the Willare Bridge over the Fitzroy River...I spent an almost idyllic 6 months investigating and drilling the subsoil for the upcoming bridge, that was in 1966.

Been at both ends of the Gibb road several times but only the once right through, with a trip almost to Kalumburru, well 40 km short.

Big question...innit?:laugh:

That is part of our last trip west in September...I think

Cheers, Bobj.

Why not? Looks like it's improved a bit since 1966 - http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/gibb-river-road.html. Almost a Trip Advisor recommended route these days.

Saw that link last night when I was checking things @Quoll. My only concern is that at age 75, I am beginning to not like driving huge distances. The trip is usually 7,000 km, plus another 1600 km...

Bucket list, hmmm...

The thing is, Jo and I met in Derby (awww). And, I would want to go on to Broome, my first encounter with the magnificent Kimberley Region, in 1964 and that would mean ferreting about to try and find my old Main Roads campsites. Most likely either overgrown, or built on.

Bugga!!! Nostalgia creeping up, (sniff, sniff):cry:Like knocking off work early, filling the tank and jerry can, then driving 9 hours to Derby from Kununurra to see Jo for a weekend...I think it's in 'Reminiscing'...

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...

A bugga, innit? High blood pressure (200+) and 42 C temps. So we came home slowly...And only 3 barra...

In the meantime, we got some pix of this 'n' that...Then a dive into the spillway creek fully clothed, as you do...And forgot to take small camera out of pocket, as you shouldn't do.

Anyway, We camped at Hicks Ck, far west NT and where Cerberus and The Pom Queen camped is a resident croc, a salty, no less...But only 1.2 metres long, is no problem.

For young squarepants; the 3 biggest amethyst clusters are 11 kg each.:hug: Found a quartz vein in solid basalt in the middle of the creek and musta walked over it a 100 times before.

P1060766_zpszxzxexpm.jpg

More pix as soon as I can get them out of the stupi...er... photobucket.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
A bugga, innit? High blood pressure (200+) and 42 C temps. So we came home slowly...And only 3 barra...

In the meantime, we got some pix of this 'n' that...Then a dive into the spillway creek fully clothed, as you do...And forgot to take small camera out of pocket, as you shouldn't do.

Anyway, We camped at Hicks Ck, far west NT and where Cerberus and The Pom Queen camped is a resident croc, a salty, no less...But only 1.2 metres long, is no problem.

For young squarepants; the 3 biggest amethyst clusters are 11 kg each.:hug: Found a quartz vein in solid basalt in the middle of the creek and musta walked over it a 100 times before.

P1060766_zpszxzxexpm.jpg

More pix as soon as I can get them out of the stupi...er... photobucket.

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh Bob you really need to take care of yourself. I worry about you, but I'm glad you are back home safe. I remember jumping in the spillway fully clothed, although I remembered to take my camera out of my pocket lol.

Was it the same croc that as the gun shot wound?

Guest The Pom Queen
The quartz/amethyst vein, is 3 metres long, only the first half metre here.

P1060755_zpsi4wyk3y9.jpg

It got so hard to excavate that we decided to backfill it and hope no one else finds it.

Cheers, Bobj.

I know a young man who would be interested in visiting with you next time. I bet he joins this thread very soon lol

Guest The Pom Queen
King River camp 40 km south of The Katherine, NT. A fair bit of gear!

Chloe 'helping' Jo to make the camp bed for the night...

IMG_0018_zpsbmchreum.jpg

More later.

Cheers, Bobj.

How did Chloe go, did she enjoy it as much as our darling PJ use to?

7 AM, about 9 km north of Renner Springs, NT (850 km south of Darwin), a big, black cloud blew up forcing us to ram everything in the 4wd and get out onto the bitumen about 1 km away. 5 minutes later, we were in a storm in the desert, about 3.5 to 4 inches of rain. Windscreen wipers on at full for 25 minutes as we followed a road train at 75 km/h.

P1060761_zpscstbettl.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

One of the amethyst clusters. It is awaiting its owner, a bloodnut...

P1060772_zps24l3ntrf.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Hello BobJ, I have been looking at your posts from your trip and I so wish I was there If you wait one year until I can drive on my own you will have to let me drive and we can go on a fossicking trip the amethyst looks really nice

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Hello BobJ, I have been looking at your posts from your trip and I so wish I was there? If you wait one year until I can drive on my own you will have to let me drive and we can go on a fossicking trip?? the amethyst looks really nice?

You are going to need a car first.