U.K. Electrician

Hedges

Hi there I'm a uk electrician possibly thinking of emigrating to Australia and was hoping for some help/ guidance from where to start from? As I know it's a long hard process but would be the best thing for me my partner and 3 children.

Hi. Im an electrician also and recently got my 189 visa. Have you completed the point test to see if you could hit the 60 points minimum ?. Contact the down under centre in London in regards to a skills assessment. They will want to see all your Certs. References. Payslips etc ( experience is a big one usually 3 years post apprenticeship is needed before you go any further )once you pass that stage you will sit a 2 hour electrical theory and 4-5 hour practical assessment. Motor control .fault finding. Testing. Low voltage install. Depending on your points you might need to look into doing an English test I.e IELTS or Pearson academic

Hi there I'm a uk electrician possibly thinking of emigrating to Australia and was hoping for some help/ guidance from where to start from? As I know it's a long hard process but would be the best thing for me my partner and 3 children.

Your starting point is lots of reading. The main starting point is border.gov.au

electrican is a occupation available for visas depending on you having the relevant qualification and experience.

you do need to be aware that once you arrive in oz you would need to become licensed and this can be an issue as it means finding an employer willing to take you on as a trade assistant for about a year and you will need to pay for a number of fairly expensive college courses (in the thousands).

If if your are uncertain of how to do things it may be a good idea to use a registered migration agent. There are a number of regulars on here that are excellent.

The most important thing to consider is if it is a better thing for you and your family. Oz in no land paved with gold. It has higher unemployment than the UK, it can be very expensive and most of us who have lived there for a long time would say it isn't any better, just different.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Talking from Experience... Firstly use an MARA Migration Agent as mentioned above.. They will run through a series of Questions to see if you qualify or have enough points to proceed further. Once Successful. You will need to provide work history and proof of Apprentiship. References from Employers. Then a Waiting game to submit EOI. When your on your way the agent will ask to to submit an IELTs English test. Depending on your previous score you may have to gain 8's or 7's across the board. After that Crap and further into the roller coaster you will need to gain an OTSR. Offshore Skill Assessment. This is basically a version of the AM2 Electrical exam. When you have gained your OTSR and submitted that and you finally gain your precious Visa grant and you make the massive leap to a fantastic part of Australia.... Then the real fun begins. Remember that OTSR I was banging on about earlier, well that entitles you to a Provisional Electrical License. You will then need to Enroll through skills select to save thousands to complete the AS/NZ 3000 Wiring rules. This could take 6 Months... Keep in mind you are basically at this point classified as a 4th year Apprentice.. Wages will be shite. After completion of the Wiring rules another goliath event awaits and that is the GAP TRAINING. A logbook or E profiling which could take up to a year to complete. Covering Donestic, Commercial and Industrial Projects. Mine was 70,000 words long. Headache. After completing that you will recieve an Australian Certificate 3 and apply for your unrestricted licence.. I wish I knew all of this before I came because I would of honestly thought twice. I feel Aus is entering its Own recession the Mining Boom years are over. I'm on the last remaining Major construction project and thousands can't get on.. If you decide to make the move please do your homework and have enough cash to sit back on!!!

Hi there I've just joined the forum as I am in the process of doing my permanent visa to Australia as an electrician with the stage I am at is the skills test down in London through future skills next Thursday and I'm looking for any helpful advice as I am quite nervous.

I have worked in heavy industrial faced paced environments all my days(only 35) so the parts of the practical to do with DOL starters and motors etc will be a piece of cake as I must've checked/stripped down/repaired etc hundreds of motors/starters/drives over the years but for the life of me I haven't done any installation work as per the first part of the practical as over the years if I have done installation work it has been predominantly SWA and SY cables, cable tray, trunking and all the assorted glanding and each time the materials have been basically laid out either by managers or planners etc so I've never had to select cabling never mind bend plastic conduit.

I phoned the down under centre at the start of my process to ask these sort of questions as over the last few years its's been mostly PLC programming and fault finding via a laptop and anything to do with installation work has been done by contractors which is happening more and more but the guy said that I should breeze it then.unsure.gif

It's not that I can't do it it's just that I haven't for many years.

Plus I would be looking for jobs in Australia in heavy industry and not commercial or domestic industry but it seems to get my visa I have to do it this way.

So basically if someone can reassure me about all this it'll be greatly appreciated as there is a lot riding on my shoulders mostly my wife and 3 kids yearning for the sun and not the good old scottish rain lol.gif

Any info on the type of jobs out there preferably near Perth and it's surrounding areas.