saying hi to all hoping to move to aus in 2017 - 2018

dancing1112

Hi everyone,

We have decided we want to go to Aus on my husbands skill under independent skilled route. We have two children aged 5 and 11. Can anyone help advise on salary figures for customer service work part time hours for me. Just general admin reception or call centre work, I have 20 years experience in customer service and have been with my employer for the last ten years. Also what salary to expect for a wall and floor tiler self employed or employed. Looking to go to Brisbane or Adelaide. We have never been to Aus, so we are planning to visit next year to see how we like it. i know it will take a while,we need to get the AQF 3 before we can send in the expression of interest. so i thought i would say hi to all and any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

We have talked about migrating for ten years, now we are close to 40 so its now or never.

Many thanks

Hill familey in South Wales.

Hi Dancing

My wife and I are in a similar position to yourself.

I've been looking at seek.com as Verystormy mentions to give myself a rough idea of my earnings, and going off that everything seems to balance out.

Cost of living is higher in aus but the wages compensate for that.

We've also never been to aus and my wife suggested going visiting first but in all honesty I don't see the point, as I don't think 3 weeks in aus would put me off moving there.

Mark

Hi Mark

Thank you for your reply, it's refreshing to hear the wages compensate the cost of living, we just have no idea which part of Aus to go for. We will keep researching and hopefully make the right decision what part of Aus to apply for. I can see your point about not visiting. I know my family and i will fall in love with Aus as soon as we arrive. Thanks again for your post, good luck to you and your family with your application. Regards Mel

Mel

Theres a website called bobinoz don't know if you have come across it but its worth a look.

I think we have decided on the Brisbane area due to the warm weather year round (No point leaving the UK for rain) and a good choice of beaches nearby for the weekend.

Theres another site called microburbs which gives you good info about any suburb you want to look at also try looking at realestate.com.au it will give you an idea of house prices to rent or buy.

They should keep you busy :smile:

Read what Verystormy said.....wages vary across AU. We are in Brisbane and earn less than we did in UK however quality of life is better. Jobs are also not very easy to secure unless you have fully prepared, ensured your qualufications and experience fully transfer and it us unlikely you will secure work prior to landing. I did but the job was short lived although being very high paying.

You need to consider your reasons for wanting to move and then design your move around these. QLD is booming although unemployment is higher than UK. I personally can see the building boom dying off as projects are getting finished with new sites not breaking ground just sitting dormant I'm guessing due to insufficient funding.

Best of luck with it all, a long journey with lots of ups and downs.

S

Can anyone help advise on salary figures for customer service work part time hours for me. Just general admin reception or call centre work, I have 20 years experience in customer service and have been with my employer for the last ten years. Also what salary to expect for a wall and floor tiler self employed or employed.

I am new here too dancing1112. Well new to the forum. I have lived in Australia for 25 years.

Very hard to give salary figures. Because it vastly depends on what area you work in.

Even within the same city.

For example: Hornsby and Sydney CBD are only 40 mins apart on the train line. But the salary difference could be $30,000.

Edited by BooBooBear
Spelling

Hi Dancing

My wife and I are in a similar position to yourself.

I've been looking at seek.com as Verystormy mentions to give myself a rough idea of my earnings, and going off that everything seems to balance out.

Cost of living is higher in aus but the wages compensate for that.

We've also never been to aus and my wife suggested going visiting first but in all honesty I don't see the point, as I don't think 3 weeks in aus would put me off moving there.

Mark

Do not assume salaries compensate. Some occupations, people find they are better off, most about the same, but some significantly worse off.

Hi everyone,

We have decided we want to go to Aus on my husbands skill under independent skilled route. We have two children aged 5 and 11. Can anyone help advise on salary figures for customer service work part time hours for me. Just general admin reception or call centre work, I have 20 years experience in customer service and have been with my employer for the last ten years. Also what salary to expect for a wall and floor tiler self employed or employed. Looking to go to Brisbane or Adelaide.

General admin, reception work often receives a high volume of applicants in Adelaide, often around 300 applications. Call centre work would probably be easier to gain, although part-time hours generally in office work are not as common as in the UK in my experience. As Very Stormy mentions, Adelaide has a struggling economy and often has the highest unemployment in Australia. That is not to say there isn't work around, it just depends what you do, what you are willing to do and your expectations. In regards to your husband's line of work, I know someone who has been trying to recruit a tiler for their business and has struggled, so there may be opportunities in Adelaide for him.

Adelaide and Brisbane are quite different, so I guess if you are coming over on a reccie, it is a case of having a look around and deciding where you would like to live and build a new life. We like living in Adelaide and feel we have a good standard of living here, but that can take time to achieve and for things to fall into place.

Edited by Jessica Berry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jessica, thank you for your response. Great to hear from you. I have a few other qualifications in other sectors that i could always go back too, so i think that i could fit in dependant on what type of if any work is available with my skills and provided skills are transferable etc to aus. In the Uk i arrange electric meter installations or a large energy company for commercial business and house builds, its very complex and stressfull, i think im ready for a change and i know i wouldn't mind going back to call centre work if able to fill the position. I'm nearly full time hours so full time would be ok if i had too do it providing i can sort out breakfast club or childcare. We would just do what we do here if possible. Over the past 10 years i gained qualifications in beauty therapy, jewellery making which i love to do as a hobbie and also qualified to teach aerobics, so i could always look at a refresher course and go down that road i suppose. I am quite optimistic we will make it work, its been a life long dream and now we have the funds to try it. We are going to keep out home in the UK as a back up just in case we cannot find the work or settle. We have decided to give it a 2 year timescale limit to try it. Yes a reccie is definitely on the cards hopefully our visa will have been sorted or on its way by then and we will have had more research done at home. i know we have to be realistic, i've seen many families that have returned due to aus not meeting expectations or missing family, we only have one chance at it and a costly one at that. So our reasons for doing it are still the same. I just hope its realisitc and viable for us,only one way to find out aye!! Thank you so much for your response xxx

Hi everyone,

We have decided we want to go to Aus on my husbands skill under independent skilled route. We have two children aged 5 and 11. Can anyone help advise on salary figures for customer service work part time hours for me. Just general admin reception or call centre work, I have 20 years experience in customer service and have been with my employer for the last ten years. Also what salary to expect for a wall and floor tiler self employed or employed. Looking to go to Brisbane or Adelaide. We have never been to Aus, so we are planning to visit next year to see how we like it. i know it will take a while,we need to get the AQF 3 before we can send in the expression of interest. so i thought i would say hi to all and any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

We have talked about migrating for ten years, now we are close to 40 so its now or never.

Many thanks

Hill familey in South Wales.

Greetings Hill family!

We're migrating in October 2017 - all going to plan.

B

Rep of Ireland

Good tilers are hard to find in Brisbane, partly because of the construction boom (mainly apartments) that has been fueled by very low interest rates. I know because I have just done a kitchen and bathroom renovation. My tilers certainly weren't cheap, but there is nothing worse than looking for years at tiling that wasn't done properly! The economy in Queensland is not as broadly based as in NSW, being still too dependent on mining which is taking a big hit, but house prices in Brisbane are a low lower than in Sydney or Melbourne. Adelaide is an attractive city, but the economy in South Australia is even more narrowly based than Qld. Historically it was very dependent on protected industries such as cars, white goods,which are now in serious decline (car manufacturing is coming to an end), as is traditional heavy industry. Personally I would avoid SA.