BBC iPlayer is going to require a TV licence

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36942458

I am wondering if this means that those who currently watch BBC content from Aus via a VPN or some such will have their viewing denied? Currently the BBC blocks any non UK IP address hence people using the VPN from overseas iirc. Be interesting to see how it will work with the TV licence and UK address and all that anyways. Maybe they'll want the licence number so people will be asking family for their licence info and putting the number in to enable them to watch still via a VPN?

TBH we have never made use of iPlayer or the ITV one or anything since we moved here. I do miss some shows like Springwatch but it isn't ruining my life in Aus in any way not watching it.

[h=1]iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September[/h]

_90582021_mediaitem90582020.jpgImage captionTV Licensing said fewer than 2% of households would be affected by the changePeople who watch BBC programmes only on iPlayer will be required to buy a TV licence to view the content from 1 September.

Previously a licence was only needed to watch live broadcasts, so catch-up content was technically exempt from the £145.50 annual fee.

But due to a change in the law, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand.

Those who already have a TV licence will not be affected.

The change comes after the government said it wanted to modernise the current system, so those watching catch-up TV do not get "a free ride".

[h=2]'All who watch pay for it'[/h]"When the licence fee was invented, video on demand did not exist," former Culture Secretary John Whittingdale said in March.

"The BBC works on the basis that all who watch it pay for it. Giving a free ride to those who enjoy Sherlock or Bake Off an hour, a day or a week after they are broadcast was never intended and is wrong."

The new rules apply to all devices used to access iPlayer - including laptops, smartphones, tablets, TV streaming devices and games consoles, as well as through third-party services such as Sky, Virgin or BT.

However, a TV licence will still not be needed for watching other on demand services, such as ITV Player, All4, My5 or Netflix.

TV Licensing said fewer than 2% of households would be affected by the change and would "not affect the huge majority of households which are already licensed".

It added all unlicensed households would be notified of the change in law and a publicity campaign to promote awareness will be carried out before 1 September.

TV Licensing is also pushing awareness for students, many of whom will be affected at the start of the new academic year.

The BBC have said that, although you will now be legally required to hold a TV license to watch iPlayer content, they are stopping short of asking you to enter your details and license number before viewing. So for those watching from outside the UK, strictly speaking they will be breaking the law, but there is little to stop them continuing using a VPN as they do now.

The BBC should sell a licence for IPlayer content only if it is technically feasible. It should be a reduced licence fee as not all content is available on iPlayer but viewers overseas might then be able to purchase said licence and access content legally.

The reason that isn't feasible is that the BBC don't own the worldwide rights to all of their content. Many programs can only be broadcast by the BBC in the UK. The BBC does already put out pretty much all the programs that it does have the worldwide rights to on BBC First, BBC UKTV and BBC Knowledge available via Foxtel subscription and possibly other providers. To invest in the technology that would block some programs and allow others to be watched via iplayer would not be a sound investment when Foxtel already has an on demand service.

If it needs government funding then the government should fund it out of general revenue.

Everyone watches TV therefore it should be collected through normal income tax.

The TV licence fee at least provides some measure of independence from government or at least that is the rationale behind it. If the BBC was funded directly from general taxation then it would be much harder for it to be anything other than a government mouthpiece as evidenced in Russia and elsewhere.

The TV licence fee at least provides some measure of independence from government or at least that is the rationale behind it. If the BBC was funded directly from general taxation then it would be much harder for it to be anything other than a government mouthpiece as evidenced in Russia and elsewhere.

Not true.

The ABC is government funded and has a charter mandating it to be fair and balanced.

The UK solution is crazy having people driving around in vans trying to catch people watching TV without a licence.

I amazed no government has changed this inefficient tax.

Speaking of Russia, I recently resigned up to Foxtel and discovered channel RT is there.

I had never heard of it but it is Russia Today and is funded by the Russian government to give a better understanding of Russia to an international audience.

It was quite interesting.

• 5 weeks later...

I forgot about this! Got home Thursday and thought, ooh, I'll download Casualty to watch at the weekend. Little message pops up about TV licence. Without thinking, I just hit "yes, I have a TV licence" then thought bugger, what if it asks for a number or something? Well, it didn't, that was that, got my Casualty. Business as usual.

I forgot about this! Got home Thursday and thought, ooh, I'll download Casualty to watch at the weekend. Little message pops up about TV licence. Without thinking, I just hit "yes, I have a TV licence" then thought bugger, what if it asks for a number or something? Well, it didn't, that was that, got my Casualty. Business as usual.

They are clever, I have a friend who works for sky who told me that

they now know your IP address and your address and know if you have a licence or not, those who do not have a licence and click yes will soon be getting a visit.

If there was a way of using the full content iPlayer on my TV (without the need for another box and remote control) or through my Foxtel box (like it used to work on Virgin Media in the UK) I'd subscribe to it in a heartbeat, but I've no desire for more spaghetti of cables or sitting around the laptop to watch a show -- so will wait till it's shown here.

If there was a way of using the full content iPlayer on my TV (without the need for another box and remote control) or through my Foxtel box (like it used to work on Virgin Media in the UK) I'd subscribe to it in a heartbeat, but I've no desire for more spaghetti of cables or sitting around the laptop to watch a show -- so will wait till it's shown here.

Me too. And I would rather the BBC got my money than the company supplying the VPN.