Travelling to Sydney from Heathrow via Melbourne

faithmove7

Hi

i have just a Quantas flight direct from Heathrow that appears to head straight to Melbourne.

Are you sure? The current Qantas timetable shows only one Heathrow - Melbourne flight (QF10) - and it has one stop. Unless they are planning a change in the future?

It is likely to be the same plane with the same flight number but it will definitely stop en route as commercial passenger jets can't carry enough fuel to go from Europe to Australia non-stop.

Didnt i read somewhere that there are plans to do a non stop LHR to Perth flight? The only issue is lack of alternative airport in range to land at if bad weather etc

Didnt i read somewhere that there are plans to do a non stop LHR to Perth flight? The only issue is lack of alternative airport in range to land at if bad weather etc

You did read about it - perhaps here: http://www.traveller.com.au/qantas-plans-nonstop-flights-from-perth-to-london-gk6yqc

I suspect the prospect is farther off than they are suggesting - not least because the number of people who want to do the direct route would be limited. The hub and spoke model works well where passengers tend to do most long haul air travel using two sectors, connecting in places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok or Dubai.

Hi

i have just a Quantas flight direct from Heathrow that appears to head straight to Melbourne. Anyone used this route? It came as a surprise to me as most flights I've come across go through Dubia etc

Any thoughts on this route?

All QF flights will go via Dubai, it's probably just not showing as a stop, as it might be a minimal/short re-fuel. Looking at QF website, think you are talking about flight QF2? Just means you'll get back on the same plane rather than changing and getting a different flight number for DXB-SYD.

Yup, done that one several times - you do have a refueling stop in Dubai as the others have said but you stay on the same plane - in as much as the same plane goes all the way and you sit in the same seat for both legs of the trip. You (and all your cabin baggage) will get off the plane in Dubai and you will follow the Sheep through security and back into the departure lounge where you will get about 30 minutes to walk the length of the duty free shops then you will go through a lower key security screen into your specific departure lounge and get back on your plane. So keep your cabin baggage light!!!

Thanks all

it makes sense now, there was no mention of a fuel stop.

We will definitely need to stretch our legs and some time off the plane as well.

Quoll....I take it then that the flights which changes over at Dubai etc. will allow us longer time off the plane and also through the full security checks as we do at the beginning of our journey?

Just researching options for travelling with two children in December.

I heard Emirates will be doing non stop london to Perth soon.

It will be a fuel stop, when I flew with Royal Brueni we stopped in Dubai to refuel however it was not mentioned anywhere on my paperwork. We had about an hour tops off the plane on this refuel stop.

Thanks all

We will definitely need to stretch our legs and some time off the plane as well.

Quoll....I take it then that the flights which changes over at Dubai etc. will allow us longer time off the plane and also through the full security checks as we do at the beginning of our journey?

HOw old are your children?

We always go through Singapore - i've heard that Dubai doesnt have much options for kids/parents for keeping entertained. We love singapore. There is a bunch of stuff in the transit lounge that is kid friendly - the carp pond/butterfly garden, cinema etc. Also there are 3 transit hotels within the terminal so you dont have to go through security, that allows some sleep / a shower etc to help break things up. The hotel in terminal 1 (all the terminals are linked by the skytrain so you can access them all within the security cordon) also has a swimming pool on the roof that you can use, which was brilliant for breaking up the journey.

for travelling with youngish kids (7 and 4) it was a no brainer and for a 4 hour stopover we go in the pool, have a shower etc and grab some food. Having a 30-45 minute fuel stop barely gives you time to get off and go to the loo before having to get on again. it doesnt break up the journey in any meaningful way

hope that helps

Edited by kevsan

Wow Kevsan sounds amazing my daughter will be 11 by the time we travel and my son is 9.

Will this be available through Singapore airlines exclusively or just any which transits through.

I have researched Qantas, Emirates & Etihad so far & Dubai/ Abu Dhabi are the only stop over options I have got.

Better broaden my search options then. Thanks again I can imagine the experience already.

Wow Kevsan sounds amazing my daughter will be 11 by the time we travel and my son is 9.

Will this be available through Singapore airlines exclusively or just any which transits through.

I have researched Qantas, Emirates & Etihad so far & Dubai/ Abu Dhabi are the only stop over options I have got.

Better broaden my search options then. Thanks again I can imagine the experience already.

Dubai in transit with kids sucks IMHO.

Singapore is far better, lovely airport and lots for kids to do including taking a dip in the rooftop pool in the airport terminal hotel. I'd always fly via Singapore and transit there over anywhere else, more so with kids. You can be on any airline though we tend to stick with Singapore airlines and usually have a 4-5 hour transit before our connecting flight. We all shower, have a swim and relax, usually in one of the gardens or by the pool.

I also prefer the flight legs this way. Longer leg to Singapore then just the short one to Aus rather than flying Dubai and having the short leg first and then the long leg after that. Also tend to take the night flight out from London so we all can snooze a bit over the longer leg.

Thanks all

If you go on QF2 or 10 there is enough time to go through security, wander around for about 20 mins then get back on board. Why you would need any longer than that at Dubai airport is beyond me!

Dubai security is even more draconian than LHR imho and they appear to take great delight in finding something tiny which didn't raise a blip in London. You don't go "out" then in you just get off a secure flight and go straight through security again then there is a low(er) key security check at the gate.

Personally I hate flying through Dubai and would go via SIN or HK any day of the week but Qantas don't do that route any more.

I heard Emirates will be doing non stop london to Perth soon.

Emirates are an airline that hubs out of Dubai...there is no way and no reason they would do non stop UK to Australia flights. Plus I suspect they would never be allowed to as no agreement exists for them to do so, and likely never will. The only airlines that will be operating non stops between the UK and Perth will be British or Australian ones.

Hi

i have just a Quantas flight direct from Heathrow that appears to head straight to Melbourne. Anyone used this route? It came as a surprise to me as most flights I've come across go through Dubia etc

Any thoughts on this route?

Be aware that if you book QF10 LHR-MEL than have a connecting domestic flight to SYD that you will have to clear customs in Melbourne. So you will have to pick bags up off the belt, go through customs and then recheck them with QF. Bags will not be checked through to SYD.

Singapore every time we have done Newcastle direct to Adelaide via Dubai and found on paper a short layover seems good

in reality it gives you time to walk off a plane lug hand luggage through the airport visit the loo and get on another plane which is always at the gate furthest from where you get off !

HI any airline that goes through Singapore. And as Snifter say, the longer flight first 'works' better for us. Always try and go Singapore Airlines as well, can be a little more expensive sometimes, but you do get what you pay for!