Please reassure me that PR is worth it

BadgerLady

Already failed skilled migration... is it really fraudulent though? That seems a bit extreme! My employer is happy to let me go at any point as long as I repay their costs for nomination. In actual fact, they're not even covering my costs - I have to give them $8,000 for the privilege.

If your employer isn't going to worry about you leaving, then i'd say you have nothing to worry about. The intention of the process is so that the employer can retain a valuable employee - if that's not the employer's intention then strictly speaking, the whole thing is a lie - but I don't think that need worry you. If the employer doesn't report you then there's very little chance you'd get found out.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your employer isn't going to worry about you leaving, then i'd say you have nothing to worry about. The intention of the process is so that the employer can retain a valuable employee - if that's not the employer's intention then strictly speaking, the whole thing is a lie - but I don't think that need worry you. If the employer doesn't report you then there's very little chance you'd get found out.

They don't know I intend to leave, of course. And I might not - will I even get the other job? I'd just like to go for it with an idea of timelines.

I really can't find any evidence that it's 'naughty' to leave once you've got PR...

They don't know I intend to leave, of course. And I might not - will I even get the other job? I'd just like to go for it with an idea of timelines.

I really can't find any evidence that it's 'naughty' to leave once you've got PR...

Let's hope one of the agents notices this thread and can confirm. Like I said, the whole idea of employer-sponsored PR is not to give you a back door to Australia, it's to allow that employer to retain a valuable employee long-term. The employer has to jump through a lot of hoops as well as investing money (which in this case they're asking you to pay, so that's less of an issue), so is likely to be peeved if after all that bother, you leave immediately. It's the same as getting married to someone to get PR then separating the minute you've got it - the other party is likely to feel used (because they have been!).

I still think your biggest issue will be that you'll struggle to ever qualify for citizenship because you're out of the country so much. All PR does is give you the right to stay in Australia IF you never leave - but I could see you losing your right to return in a few years and not being able to get back in, so the whole exercise will be a bit of a waste of time.

Edited by Marisawright

Let's hope one of the agents notices this thread and can confirm. Like I said, the whole idea of employer-sponsored PR is not to give you a back door to Australia, it's to allow that employer to retain a valuable employee long-term. The employer has to jump through a lot of hoops as well as investing money (which in this case they're asking you to pay, so that's less of an issue), so is likely to be peeved if after all that bother, you leave immediately. It's the same as getting married to someone to get PR then separating the minute you've got it - the other party is likely to feel used (because they have been!).
Well, if they wanted to keep me working for them they'd probably be better off just extending the 457. Then I'd be 'stuck' with them :-P

As a manager who used to sponsor people both initially on 457 and then ENS after two years the obligation is moral rather than legal to stay once PR is granted. The employer has to declare there is employment for the next two years (& if there was evidence this was not the case the visa may not be granted). i am not sure if you have to declare the same (I only ever saw the employers application) but if you do again any evidence (such as applying for other jobs??) that you did not intend to stay could go against you but once the PR is granted then there is nothing to stop you moving on.

The employer may try to tie you in though but in reality these kind of contracts would not stand up in court as it would be a restriction of trade. Not an expert on this but whilst lots of employers have clauses in contracts that do restrict trade they are seen as a deterrent more than anything.

http://www.australiancompetitionlaw.org/law/rot/index.html

Essentially immigration in granting a visa want assurance that you will not be a burden on the state, hence the two year commitment by the employer, if you were to move to a different employer the state is no worse off so it is not an issue.

As a manager who used to sponsor people both initially on 457 and then ENS after two years the obligation is moral rather than legal to stay once PR is granted. The employer has to declare there is employment for the next two years (& if there was evidence this was not the case the visa may not be granted). i am not sure if you have to declare the same (I only ever saw the employers application) but if you do again any evidence (such as applying for other jobs??) that you did not intend to stay could go against you but once the PR is granted then there is nothing to stop you moving on.

The employer may try to tie you in though but in reality these kind of contracts would not stand up in court as it would be a restriction of trade. Not an expert on this but whilst lots of employers have clauses in contracts that do restrict trade they are seen as a deterrent more than anything.

http://www.australiancompetitionlaw.org/law/rot/index.html

Essentially immigration in granting a visa want assurance that you will not be a burden on the state, hence the two year commitment by the employer, if you were to move to a different employer the state is no worse off so it is not an issue.

Makes good sense :-)

My employer honestly couldn't care less. It's a massive global corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees... this process is managed by an offshore division, paid for by me. It's simply a service they offer their employees the same way they offer discount gym membership and a per diem on business travel.

And if I'm moving from one job to another, there's no downside from a government perspective. Indeed the work I'm trying to move into is FOR the government! One of my recent projects was with the DIBP - they raved on about how much they loved working with me but went into awkward silence when I joked "does that mean I can have PR now?".

In your 30's or 40's it is not easy to build friendships, but you need a friend or two in life. hard to belief you do not meet people that could be considered friend, even if its a boyfriend or partner. Sometimes you need to let go of expectations and just go with the flow. So pick a hobby and go meet people! :-)

Wholeheartedly agree! It's tough though - I never know where I'm going to be more than a couple of weeks in advance.

Last winter I found myself in Canberra for a few months, and we were about to sign another Canberra-based contract so I auditioned for a local theatre company and got the part in a musical. After two rehearsals, I heard that the contract had changed and I'd have to divert to Brisbane.

Gyms usually require some kind of commitment, as do dance classes (I inquired after several). I love spending time with animals but can't commit to keeping and looking after them so I occasionally visit a disappointing Cat Cafe. I have gone along to random Meetup groups like "Under 40's Barefoot Bowls" - in fact my 30th birthday when I first got here was a karaoke night with strangers! - but lack of regular contact means we just fall out of touch again.

Don't get me wrong - I am truly dedicated to my work and love what I do. But you're right: one needs another way to be happy when things aren't going so well...

In your 30's or 40's it is not easy to build friendships, but you need a friend or two in life. hard to belief you do not meet people that could be considered friend, even if its a boyfriend or partner. Sometimes you need to let go of expectations and just go with the flow. So pick a hobby and go meet people! :-)

Hey, if you can find me a hobby that can be done in a different state/territory of Australia every week, I'm all over it :-D

It can be a crazy ride to PR. I am here 6 years next month and I got mine on 19/07/16. Took a lot of determination and refusing to give up! Now tied to a 2 year work commitment being on RSMS but if it's what you definitely want it's worth the fight in my book

Well here's just what I need!

Had a phonecall from my letting agent that my landlord's decided to sell and is therefore asking me to vacate in 6 weeks time. From Sydney. And I'm on work assignment in Melbourne for the next 5 weeks.

We're talking a three-storey house here, that I was assured was available for long-term let after I had a harrowingly short 7-month tenancy at my last place. So I settled in - bought a waterbed, a piano... and 11 months later here we are again :(

It's like everything's telling me to give up and go home. I could get a 50% higher salary in London, use my house in Wales as a base and move into a nice cheap guardianship. I could withdraw my superfund and save the $12k that PR is gonna cost. Harump.

The joys of renting.

The next place you find might be a hundred times better!

How are they going to recompense you for the incinvenience for open house inspections etc? Especially since you won't be there. Are they going to be using your possessions in the photography for the house sale? Otherwise how are they going to shift a piano and water bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Suzukiscottie

The joys of renting.

The next place you find might be a hundred times better!

How are they going to recompense you for the incinvenience for open house inspections etc? Especially since you won't be there. Are they going to be using your possessions in the photography for the house sale? Otherwise how are they going to shift a piano and water bed?

I believe their intention is to clear it out and then market it. They're taking the opportunity to move me out on my 12 month lease end date, so there's nothing untoward about it. A bit out-of-the-blue given that all my discussions with the rental agency had been about it being a long-term deal, that the place has been rented out for over thirty years and that they're delighted with me and the way I've set it up.

I'd actually be perfectly happy for them to market it using my possessions if it means I can stay longer - after all, I'm there on average 8 days a month! So hardly an inconvenience. And it would give me much more opportunity to find somewhere new.

Unfortunately I am completely in love with the place and it's rather unique for Sydney: a stand-alone house right in the CBD and yet over 150 years old.

Had a phonecall from my letting agent that my landlord's decided to sell and is therefore asking me to vacate in 6 weeks time. From Sydney. And I'm on work assignment in Melbourne for the next 5 weeks.

We're talking a three-storey house here, that I was assured was available for long-term let after I had a harrowingly short 7-month tenancy at my last place. So I settled in - bought a waterbed, a piano... and 11 months later here we are again :(

It's like everything's telling me to give up and go home. I could get a 50% higher salary in London, use my house in Wales as a base and move into a nice cheap guardianship. I could withdraw my superfund and save the $12k that PR is gonna cost. Harump.

From what you have said here I think you're mind is made up , joys of renting , I would never trust a real estate agent , at the end of the day they are sales people.

I would be contacting them and telling them your situation about working away, if they are decent people then am sure they will help you, if they plan to sell after you have moved out a few weeks is not going to be the end of the world to them.

Good luck what ever you decide

I am wondering if you are looking for a reason to move back..?

Just curious, but how is a house in Wales a base for a job you can earn double in in London.

@BadgerLady, I'm still questioning what PR will really achieve for you. It seems to me that you'll have Buckleys of ever getting citizenship, because you'll never be able to fulfil the residency requirements while you're doing so much travelling. So that means years of applying and re-applying for RRV's - and if you get a great job offer in some other country and spend too long away, you might even be refused a RRV and not be able to return anyway. So maybe it is time to have a good think about whether it's really all worth it.

I am wondering if you are looking for a reason to move back..?

Just curious, but how is a house in Wales a base for a job you can earn double in in London.

I'm really not. I've already made my decision to stay - it just keeps getting harder!

It's a place where I can keep my stuff that'll never be taken away from me. It was my base last time I worked in London - I just have a squat / crash pad near the office to go with it.

You have to remember that I end up travelling all the time for work anyway, so "the standard commute" just isn't an issue ;-)

@BadgerLady, I'm still questioning what PR will really achieve for you. It seems to me that you'll have Buckleys of ever getting citizenship, because you'll never be able to fulfil the residency requirements while you're doing so much travelling. So that means years of applying and re-applying for RRV's - and if you get a great job offer in some other country and spend too long away, you might even be refused a RRV and not be able to return anyway. So maybe it is time to have a good think about whether it's really all worth it.

By my reckoning, I'll be eligible for citizenship in January 2018. I'm on target for residency requirements as long as I stick to the 90-day limit in my final year after getting PR :-)

If you need to ask the question, then it quite possibly isn't worth the wait and aggravation in the meantime. The benefits to acquiring PR are obvious. If the thought of remaining in Australia doesn't really float your boat, possibly little reason to persevere. Better of getting on with other life projects, whatever they might be and calling it a day.

If you need to ask the question, then it quite possibly isn't worth the wait and aggravation in the meantime. The benefits to acquiring PR are obvious. If the thought of remaining in Australia doesn't really float your boat, possibly little reason to persevere. Better of getting on with other life projects, whatever they might be and calling it a day.

Agree with this. Most people that move from a 457 visa to PR are totally focussed on that goal and feel immense relief when they get there or devastation if they realise they cannot. OP, you don't seem to fall into this bracket. It doesn't matter if getting PR was worth it for other people, it just matters whether it will be worth it for you. And from everything you have said so far, I can't particularly see why it will.

By my reckoning, I'll be eligible for citizenship in January 2018. I'm on target for residency requirements as long as I stick to the 90-day limit in my final year after getting PR :-)

That was my concern, I wonder how on earth you'll manage to stay in Australia for a whole 9 months that year!

• 5 months later...

So my PR application was finally submitted this week - the countdown begins!

Work isn't any better... but I spent some time speaking with a psychologist who helped me to rediscover my self confidence. So I don't let these things get to me any more ;-)

It's entirely possible that the work situation will improve in the next 6-8 months and I'll end up building a career here after all - who knows?