Passport query

flatpack

Due to circumstance we may have a window to go to Bali on holiday in 6 weeks, the date is pretty much set in stone. Myself and my partner along with our daughter have PR but our son is Australian.

We all have British passports but our son doesn't have a visa in his. We only got his British passport as it was so easy, all in all it took 6 working days to receive it. Getting his Aussie passport mean getting him a citizen certificate which was put off at the time as we were busy and now I doubt we'll have time.

Is there anyway we can go to Bali and get back into Oz (with our son)?

TIA

Due to circumstance we may have a window to go to Bali on holiday in 6 weeks, the date is pretty much set in stone. Myself and my partner along with our daughter have PR but our son is Australian.

We all have British passports but our son doesn't have a visa in his. We only got his British passport as it was so easy, all in all it took 6 working days to receive it. Getting his Aussie passport mean getting him a citizen certificate which was put off at the time as we were busy and now I doubt we'll have time.

TIA

If he had a British passport with a visa already in it.

But an Australian citizen can't get a visa, and without a visa you need an Australian passport.

Sorry.

If he had a British passport with a visa already in it.

But an Australian citizen can't get a visa, and without a visa you need an Australian passport.

Sorry.

If we took him out of the country on his British passport, would he be refused entry into his country of birth? Would they not allow us on the plane? Could we just apply for a tourist visa to get him into the country?

Get his Oz passport sorted now, you should be able to do it in time. Do it without delay.

if it doesn't come in time, even after paying for express service and pleading then take his birth certificate and be prepared for delays at check in, especially returning to Australia and no doubt a lecture from immigration staff.

Edited by rammygirl

TIA

6 weeks is plenty of time to apply for an Australian passport. Not sure why you have to apply for a citizenship certificate if he was born here and has a birth certificate and you guys were PR at the time of his birth. You would be opening yourself up to a whole heap of trouble trying to travel on his UK passport.

You should have plenty of time to get an Aus passport sorted for him. They list the wait time and its usually a few weeks tops. Get on it asap and he'll all being well be fine to travel.

You will be questioned if you try to exit the country on a passport not used to enter the country.

And a visa cannot be issued to an Australian citizen.

What they can do is seize your British passport.

On what grounds? Talk about scare-mongering............

You will be questioned if you try to exit the country on a passport not used to enter the country.

And a visa cannot be issued to an Australian citizen.

What they can do is seize your British passport.

Do you always think about the worst possible case? I mean come on, under what circumstance would they seize a 10 month old babies passport?

6 weeks is plenty of time to apply for an Australian passport. Not sure why you have to apply for a citizenship certificate if he was born here and has a birth certificate and you guys were PR at the time of his birth. You would be opening yourself up to a whole heap of trouble trying to travel on his UK passport.

Without trying to be funny, why would you comment about the need for a citizenship certificate if you aren't sure. We have looked into it and it is a requirement, we're not in the habit of doing unnessecary paperwork if we don't need to.

There is currently a minimum 3 week wait to get the citizenship certificate, add this to the time that a passport application would take and it is doubtful that we'll get it. That said we have started the process and my partner is going to immigration tomorrow with the relevant form/ evidence.

My question was whether we could get back in without too much hassle.

You can pay for an express passport I think but you may have to travel to collect it. Depends where you are. As I said they will let baby in if you can prove citizenship but the airline will have to call and check and unless you leave plenty of time for this you could miss your flight and I doubt if insurance would cover that event. Depending on how accommodating the airline/ immigration staff are this could be a real hassle. It is the airline that can cause the real hassle as they have the responsibility to check. There is a 24 hour emergency phone line they use to clarify status, but as baby is not registered as citizen will this work?

I believe the requirement for a certificate of citizenship is a new requirement recently introduced.

all you can do is try to get it sorted play nice try to speak to someone and hope they process your application quickly.

I believe the requirement for a certificate of citizenship is a new requirement recently introduced.

The Australian Passport Office requires it for children who are Australian By Birth, if neither parent was a citizen and had an Australian passport issued before the child's date of birth. Previously the proof that one parent was a PR by way of visa label was sufficient, now it's no longer sufficient and applying for citizenship evidencing (which is NOT an application for citizenship as the child is already a citizen by operation of law in that case, but only an evidence thereof) is required now prior to applying for the passport for the Australian Citizen child

Edited by Ahmad Shady

Without trying to be funny, why would you comment about the need for a citizenship certificate if you aren't sure. We have looked into it and it is a requirement, we're not in the habit of doing unnessecary paperwork if we don't need to.

There is currently a minimum 3 week wait to get the citizenship certificate, add this to the time that a passport application would take and it is doubtful that we'll get it. That said we have started the process and my partner is going to immigration tomorrow with the relevant form/ evidence.

My question was whether we could get back in without too much hassle.

People who are trying to be rude usually start their sentences like that. bit like 'no offence but' Clearly you're in the habit of booking a holiday without thinking about the legal requirements of travel from the country in which you now live. Australia requires it's citizens to depart and arrive on an Australian passport. Just because your child is only 10 months old doesn't change this legal requirement. If you know you need this document I suggest you apply for it and then apply for an express delivery passport. Either that or don't go to bloody Bali!!!

You will need the citizenship certificate anyway - so apply now and plead with them for a quick service. Offer to collect the form in person at the DIBP office if that would help speed things up. Then apply for a passport using express service if necessary. Despite what the official documentation says, passports can be issued same day or overnight if absolutely necessary. You have time to get this sorted.

The problem is not (only) Australian immigration to re-enter Australia the REAL issue in this scenario is that the airline won't allow your son to board the plane! Airlines are in charge to check visas etc as they are liable for the return costs in case a passanger hasn't got a valid visa of the country of destination.

I wouldn't take that risk for a couple of days in Bali. Get things sorted as your son needs an Australian passport anyway if you ever plan to travel overseas in the next coming years.

Edited by silencio

The problem is not (only) Australian immigration to re-enter Australia the REAL issue in this scenario is that the airline won't allow your son to board the plane! Airlines are in charge to check visas etc as they are liable for the return costs in case a passanger hasn't got a valid visa of the country of destination.

I wouldn't take that risk for a couple of days in Bali. Get things sorted as your son needs an Australian passport anyway if you ever plan to travel overseas in the next coming years.

This is a good point. Airlines do check for this. We've been asked a few times but its never been an issue as we have Aus and UK passports so can show both for right of entry into the destination country.

This is a good point. Airlines do check for this. We've been asked a few times but its never been an issue as we have Aus and UK passports so can show both for right of entry into the destination country.

Airlines always check but often the check goes unnoticed as you just hand over your passport. For most countries, it is enough just to hold a British or Australian passport and if a visa is needed, it can be bought on arrival. It's only when you travel to a country where you need a visa and there is no visa on arrival scheme that the airline will make it obvious they are looking for a visa or other supplementary travel document.