Tassie and NZ Recce

ozornz

Hi,

We are doing a recce of Tassie and NZ, we have 4 weeks in total. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how we should split up the recce.

Basically how long do you reckon we will need in Tassie to get a bit of a feel for it. I know it is not a long time however it is all we have got.

Whatever we do am sure it will be fine, would love some local input though.

Cheers

ozornz

Hi,

We are doing a recce of Tassie and NZ, we have 4 weeks in total. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how we should split up the recce.

Basically how long do you reckon we will need in Tassie to get a bit of a feel for it. I know it is not a long time however it is all we have got.

Cheers

ozornz

The north and south islands of NZ are very different - a lot to see in both islands. Maybe a week to get the feel of Tassie and a week and a half in each of the NZ main islamds.

Cheers JockinTas,

Advice appreciated, that is similair to our original thoughts.

I know it sounds daft, the only places on the North Island we plan to visit are Palmerston north with maybe 2 days in Melbourne. In the south it will be Nelson, Blenheim and around Christchurch.

Trying to keep focused on these as don't want to dilute the time there. Chose these places after doing research our needs/work etc.

Thanks again!

Basically how long do you reckon we will need in Tassie to get a bit of a feel for it.

ozornz

Do you have any particular areas in Tassie you want to look at (workwise)? And will you have your children with you? I'm just thinking that could make a difference to how much territory you can cover.

Hi skani, I think most GP jobs are in and around Hobart and some up on the North coast.

I am monitoring jobs as they appear to make a hot spot map to give us a better idea.

Yes we will have our daughter with us, if I have to hedge my bets I will spend more time in Tassie.

As always,

Thanks for the help.

Depending on exactly where the jobs are, I'd do something like this - 2 days exploring Hobart, 1 day down the Huon Valley, returning to Hobart via the Channel Highway, maybe 1 day up the Derwent Valley north of Hobart, 1 day to Richmond and the Coal River Valley east of Hobart, then down to the Tasman Peninsula, 1 day up the east coast (overnighting at St. Helens), 2 days in the Launceston area (including the Tamar Valley), 2 days along the northwest coast from Launceston to Smithton = total 10 days.

I'm mindful of the fact that most children don't like car travel for long periods without frequent activity breaks and also, because of the hilly, mountainous topography, Tasmanian roads are not as flat/straight as those on the mainland and you may need frequent anti car sickness breaks. :rolleyes:

This link will give you approximate (child free) drive times:

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/travel-information/distance-and-drive-times

Depending on exactly where the jobs are, I'd do something like this - 2 days exploring Hobart, 1 day down the Huon Valley, returning to Hobart via the Channel Highway, maybe 1 day up the Derwent Valley north of Hobart, 1 day to Richmond and the Coal River Valley east of Hobart, then down to the Tasman Peninsula, 1 day up the east coast (overnighting at St. Helens), 2 days in the Launceston area (including the Tamar Valley), 2 days along the northwest coast from Launceston to Smithton = total 10 days.

I'm mindful of the fact that most children don't like car travel for long periods without frequent activity breaks and also, because of the hilly, mountainous topography, Tasmanian roads are not as flat/straight as those on the mainland and you may need frequent anti car sickness breaks. :rolleyes:

This link will give you approximate (child free) drive times:

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/travel-information/distance-and-drive-times

That is fantastic Skani, certainly gives us a frame work and info to work with. The link is appreciated, yes I think you are on the money there will be many a 'Pull over daddy' stops. I will have a look at that route now.

Cheers :smile:

Hi,

Cheers

ozornz

Never been to Tassie, but have been to NZ (South Island), lovely Country, had a very trippy night out in Timaru!

Best of luck with it all.

B