Remaining relative visa

hubbardmonster

Hi everyone! - just looking for some advice / experience!

Have a queuing date of 9th August 2012 for Remaing Relative visa- have been advised by immi that currently processing June 2011 anyone have a queuing date anywhere near mine and can give me any idea of how many years I am looking at left to wait? - immi can't confirm how many people in queue before my number is up for release and the waiting is killing me- this is our only option into Australia - all my family are there and are now citizens they have been there so long - visas granted in this category were slashed just before we submitted and wait went from 2 years to god knows how long - any advice or comments would be very gratefully received, our life is completely on hold with the prospect we will get there one day but with 2 young children we are trying to get there before eldest hits secondary education. Thanks in advance, Clare

Applications lodged in 2014 seem to indicate a waiting time of 50 years so I wouldn't be waiting on doing anything any time soon - certainly not worth putting your life on hold. You're lucky that your OH has no relatives around too

From the DIBP website

Based on current Planning Levels and the allocation of the majority of the Other Family places to the Carer visa category, it is currently estimated that Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications that were lodged in 2014 and meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 50​ years to be released for final processing (calculated from 14 August 2014).

Edited by Quoll

our life is completely on hold with the prospect we will get there one day but with 2 young children we are trying to get there before eldest hits secondary education. Thanks in advance, Clare

I assume your partner is in the same situation per below ?

• your (and your partner’s) only near relatives are settled in Australia and are all Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens

Yes OH has no surviving relatives at all - we are aged 40 and 36

This thread might be worth a read. We hoped at one stage to get our daughter over on this visa, but the recent changes in the past 3-4 years meant it was just a non starter due to the capping and timescales. At least you have lodged yours in 2011.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/93110-other-family-visas-cutbacks-delays.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have a queue date of May 2011, the immi website is showing that it is progressing applications with a queue date before February 2011 and has been that date since about October last year.. I look often to see if it has changed.. It is difficult to know how long the wait will be but people in the queue before you will drop out as their circumstances change so hopefully it will not be as long as some people are saying.

• 2 months later...
I think so as it is a permanent visa. However, probably not relevant as by the time it's given most people will be too old to work. It currently has a wait time of 56 years.

What's the point in applying for a visa with a 56 year wait? have I missed something quicker to train as a nurse

• 4 months later...
Can anyone clarify that under this visa remaining relative if you do this on shore can you work and I expect you would need medical Ins therefore for an oldie like us we would be better on a 804 with 30 years wait rather than50

In both cases a bridging visa would be issued. This does not have work rights. It is possible to apply for work rights separately, but it would require proving hardship and no guarantee of being granted. There is also the issue that at some point in the future they close these visas and applications are cancelled. This has occurred previously with long wait visas.

There are of course other big issues with being on a bridging visa for long periods. Healthcare is one - you would get reciprocal, but not full, no access to future major needs such as old age care. There may be other major issues.

Hence, the most common visa for people to join family is the contributory visa.

I would have thought that if they close either the remaining relatives or the 804 Aged Parents the ones who are already in the system would stay in the system they would just close it to new applicants after all they have taken your money and therefore it would illegal to say sorry cashed your money now no visa would it not I think they would just close it to new applications

I would have thought that if they close either the remaining relatives or the 804 Aged Parents the ones who are already in the system would stay in the system they would just close it to new applicants after all they have taken your money and therefore it would illegal to say sorry cashed your money now no visa would it not I think they would just close it to new applications

There are several examples over the last two years where Immigration have just closed a visa class without processing existing applications. They refund the fee eventually I believe. Often referred to as 'Cap and Cease'.

Edited by Nemesis

As above. Last year they announced a cap and cease on what were known cat 5 visas. Many applicants had been living in Oz for a number of years. They have to either qualify for another via or leave. They were offered refunds on condition of providing the original paper receipt.