The big move - which airline has the most hold/hand luggage allowances that will suit us?

richev

So we've set a move date for Sydney - Monday 18th September! :D

Now I'm looking at the respective baggage allowances for the various airlines, trying to figure out which will be the best option for us.

We would each like to take:

• Three items of hold luggage, each one will be no more than about 20kg and will be "sensibly" sized (bags we've previously taken on Emirates flights with no problems)
  • One small wheeled suitcase as hand luggage, maybe as heavy as 10kg (bags we've previously taken as hand luggage on EasyJet with no problems)

We can fly from Heathrow or Gatwick, want no more than one stop on the way, and will need to land in Sydney. We'll most likely be flying economy.

I'm about to start checking airline websites and compiling an almighty spreadsheet with luggage size/weight/price details, but thought I'd ask if anyone had any specific airlines that they would recommend (or any that they would suggest avoiding).

Etihad (if they do your route?) In economy you get 2 cases each at 23kgs. You can upgrade each bag to 32kgs for 77usd and also purchase extra bags (23kgs) at 240usd. I am sure we were offered this cheaper once we had booked too, though we didn't need it in the end as 2 x 32 kgs each was enough. We found this to be far cheaper than the others who charged per kg. The hand luggage was 7kgs each I think.

ps, good luck with the move :cute:

Edited by M1cha3la

We are flying to Melbourne in August and have gone with Singapore airlines. In economy you get 30kg per person with no restriction on the number of pieces, plus if you are going on a permanent residency visa and it's your first entry (you haven't already done a validation trip with the visa) then you get an extra 10kg per person. So total allowance of 40kg each.

I just did 7 flights in 3 weeks and never once had or saw hand luggage being weighed. Some of the hand luggage i saw on board was bigger (and in 2 cases bigger) than my hubby and daughters checked in cases, it was ridiculous.

British Airways and Emirates were 2 carriers who asked to 'see' or hand luggage at check in but no one else bothered.

Cal x

Edited by calNgary

I'd use the 7kg allowance over 2 hand luggage cases if there are two of you over one heavy one. That way you can take up to 14kg between you. I always, always use our hand luggage allowance to the max. I don't go over though as in overhead lockers it's just rude and dangerous to have it too heavy. 7kg per bag is ample.

Just to add:

Went Singapore Airlines last week with the extra 10kg allowance, no problems although the woman at Manchester needed to see the visa (print it) and call up and confirm, also gave me a receipt. She did weigh my cabin bag so I was glad I made sure it was under 7kg.

I had 2 cases (23kg and 17kg) one cabin bag (7kg) and one laptop bag in cabin too (5kg).

Do that per person and you've got plenty. Get a big taxi :)

At the risk of stating the obvious, you want to pack differently when moving to the regular holiday pack. It is wise to pack things in luggage that you will need immediately and don't want to replace. So things like a kettle, toaster, cutlery, bathroom things, etc. You can make do with very few clothes and have most of them shipped.

You can pick up a kettle or toaster for under $10 at the likes of Big W, Target etc so i wouldn't waste the space bringing them in my case. Pretty much everyone has somewhere furnished for their first few nights at least, so would have access to those things if needed.

Agree with the bathroom stuff, i brought a nice little stockpile of personal things-perfume- creams- make up etc, i found it gave me time to search for replacements over time,lol.

Cal x

You can pick up a kettle or toaster for under $10 at the likes of Big W, Target etc so i wouldn't waste the space bringing them in my case. Pretty much everyone has somewhere furnished for their first few nights at least, so would have access to those things if needed.

Agree with the bathroom stuff, i brought a nice little stockpile of personal things-perfume- creams- make up etc, i found it gave me time to search for replacements over time,lol.

Cal x

Problem is I've always found it's the bathroom stuff that adds the weight. Same thing with all the documents you may need. Consider scanning them and printing them out if and when you need them.

Emirates have weighed my cabin luggage twice.

Flying via the US, even in Economy, can give you extra luggage so worth baring in mind.

Etihad are pretty good - 2 x 23kg per person in economy, and USD70 to top each bag up to 30kg.

I'm 66 sleeps away, and I already want to start packing!

Its one bag to 23kg in economy.

In economy flex or economy classic its when you get the 2 bags at 23kg each. Least from what I can tell reading their bookings page and luggage allowance etc.

There will be a marked difference in price between economy and one bag and the other two economy types and two bags. Also the cost of an extra bag or upgrading it may vary.

I had a quick check and for a one way flight from LHR to MEL in August you can get an economy for £580, an Economy Classic is £932 and the Economy Flex will set you back £1254.

That's a big difference in price for an extra luggage allowance or flexible dates I think. I don't know if you get any extra leg room or anything, it didn't say anything in the blurb. FWIW we shipped our extra bag (weighing up to 32kg) with an excess baggage company for under £100. It was picked up from our house the day before we flew out and arrived in Aus, delivered to our door the day after we arrived, so 4/5 days total. It saved us the hassle of having to get it to the airport, cart it round either end and so on. We then flew Singapore Airlines which has 30kg per person as standard for its economy. It also does the 10kg (per person) extra allowance for those flying out on an unvalidated permanent visa (need to confirm this with the airline and the visa being verified at check in etc). So all up in that situation its 40kg allowance for a person.

Cal x

I agree with Cal on this. If you've a furnished place booked for a few nights/weeks then you won't need that stuff to start off. And yes, in the short term till a container arrives you can pick up the cheap stuff in any of the usual stores. And they are then handy for spares or to pass on to someone else.

I did bring some extra toiletries but not in my luggage. I shipped that in the container and just brought enough to last me a month or so as I would when going on a long holiday or some such. I then bought here really easily as my 'brands' are sold here and if they were not I soon found an alternative. Thinking back now, everything I use bar Waitrose baby bottom butter is sold here :cute: And that stuff I shipped a fair few tubs of and stocked up when I was back last year. I don't have to use it but I like it, once its run out this time I won't bother unless someone comes over and can bring some for me :)

Its one bag to 23kg in economy.

In economy flex or economy classic its when you get the 2 bags at 23kg each. Least from what I can tell reading their bookings page and luggage allowance etc.

There will be a marked difference in price between economy and one bag and the other two economy types and two bags. Also the cost of an extra bag or upgrading it may vary.

I had a quick check and for a one way flight from LHR to MEL in August you can get an economy for £580, an Economy Classic is £932 and the Economy Flex will set you back £1254.

That's a big difference in price for an extra luggage allowance or flexible dates I think. I don't know if you get any extra leg room or anything, it didn't say anything in the blurb. FWIW we shipped our extra bag (weighing up to 32kg) with an excess baggage company for under £100. It was picked up from our house the day before we flew out and arrived in Aus, delivered to our door the day after we arrived, so 4/5 days total. It saved us the hassle of having to get it to the airport, cart it round either end and so on. We then flew Singapore Airlines which has 30kg per person as standard for its economy. It also does the 10kg (per person) extra allowance for those flying out on an unvalidated permanent visa (need to confirm this with the airline and the visa being verified at check in etc). So all up in that situation its 40kg allowance for a person.

Yea if you go economy plus/flex its 2 x 23kgs each, thats what we had last month before we upgraded to bc. It was only an extra £30ish from basic economy to the plus/flex so made sense at that price for us, or we would of gone down the excess baggage company like you recommend. You get the extra luggage and cheaper cancellation/amendment fees but nothing else. It also gives you the access to the upgrade bidding thingy majig :rolleyes:

Timings do make difference on price so if you can be flexible (OP) then you may be able to bag a bargain, its worth a look :cute: our one way from Manchester to Perth was £860 total for the two of us on economy plus/flex. And like Cal and Snifter said, dont worry about household things, you can get them cheap here to tie you over. Ikea sell single plates and crockery ect like in the UK so you dont even have to buy whole sets. We have 1 plate each :laugh:

Yeah, it wasn't much of a difference between Etihad economy and economy flex, hence I went for the 2 x 23kg - think it was about £50. I'm sure if you (OP) are flying out of London, you could get a good flight deal, just keep your eyes peeled, and delete your cookies :P

Qantas are also offering 30kg as well any knowledge of whether this can be split into 2 pieces ?

Check the baggage info on their website. And also the website info of the codeshare airline if they are using one.

When I moved to Australia, I flew premium economy with Cathay. Both LHR and HKG kindly overlooked the fact that my suitcase was quite a bit overweight, and that I was carrying two substantial cabin bags (rucksack / shoulder bag not suitcase - although I always tend to put them down in front of the tall counter so the check in staff don't see spot them...).

• 3 months later...
Can you share 60kg between 2 people - me and husband would like to take 3 cases between us.

Yes, I think so. We've just been to/come back from the UK with Singapore Airlines, and on the way back we brought five 20-ish kg cases between the four of us, so one 20kg case each for OH and I plus a 20kg between us, plus a 20kg case for each of the kids.