Medicare on Validation Visit

jadee

Good afternoon, I hope you are well!

Myself and my fiancé will soon be completing our 189 visa validation visit in August 2016 - September 2016.

During this time we hope to complete the necessary Medicare and Bank arrangements and I have also been contacting possible employers for some work experience.

I have filled in the Medicare application form and have also contacted them for clarification on the issues below, to no avail. Could anyone please advise?

We hope to have all the relevant documents including our enrolment form, our passports, our visas and our visa lodgement acknowledgement however I was wondering what additional documents we would need to support the application? In their email it states that "supporting documents for your application – sponsorship information, permission to work or evidence of relationship (ie marriage/children" It states in our 189 skilled visas what we are able to do work wise, does anyone know what else would be required?

Furthermore, as we will not have a permanent address during our stay can anyone advise on what address to use? ie. the apartment we are staying or our UK address?

Any help is much appreciated, Jade

Don't bother doing it on your validation visit, just wait until you arrive permanently, have an address and are all set to go. You don't win anything by trying to get it done early without an address etc. You will be covered by your travel insurance for your holiday and when you do need to register, it's just walk into the office, fill in the forms and walk out again, hardly arduous.

No, definitely don't register for Medicare until you move permanently.

As soon as you register the clock starts ticking for your year's grace for the Lifetime Health Cover. That's a loading that you pay on Private Hospital Cover if you take it out later on.

Edited by NickyNook

Agree with the others for the reasons given. Don't register for Medicare until you actually make the move. Don't do it on a validation trip.

The Australian and UK governments have a reciprocal arrangement for the provision of medical services and hence you will be covered during your 'validation visit' irrespective of your lack of Medicare enrolment (presuming you are from the UK).

As far as I can tell you are not eligible to enrol for Medicare until you settle in Australia.