Visa 189 - Getting confirmation of skilled work from current employer

Dan Mika

Yes, it is extremely tricky to get your HR department to list your skills aligned to the code you are applying for. There is no single approach for this really

I had to get a personalised skills letter from 3 of the companies I worked for, 2 of which are well known publicly listed companies. One of them agreed to put about 5 sentences that I provided about the work I did while the other did not, so for that company, I asked a self declaration from my colleague/manager

If you have an HR department or know someone within the team that provides reference letters then perhaps a chat explaining why you want it would help. If it makes no difference then all you can do is get a standard reference letter accompanied by self declarations from your manager for each of the companies you worked for

You need patience and it's a pain but all worth it in the end

All the best

KnK

I advice against any deception and being open and truthful. The ACS or DIBP can contact your references at any time to confirm they know about your application and reason for giving this reference letter.

It is a lottery system of course and not every application gets picked for detailed review but there have been more than enough instances of the employers being contacted to confirm what they have provided for the applicant

All the best

KnK

or for enrollment in some nondescript online postgraduate program ..... that also works with employers :)

I am pretty certain you shouldnt be given such advice as a registered Migration Agent, doesnt fill me with confidence :skeptical:

KnK

Edited by Kenfrapin

I advice against any deception and being open and truthful. The ACS or DIBP can contact your references at any time to confirm they know about your application and reason for giving this reference letter.

It is a lottery system of course and not every application gets picked for detailed review but there have been more than enough instances of the employers being contacted to confirm what they have provided for the applicant

All the best

KnK

I am pretty certain you shouldnt be given such advice as a registered Migration Agent, doesnt fill me with confidence :skeptical:

KnK

Hi KnK

Some employers in some countries would immediately terminate an employee if they come to know they plan to apply for immigration and depart even in the distant future, which is a form of modern slavery I have to say.

There is no deception here. It is an employee's right to get a letter of reference. I am not advocating any deception or any fabrication of references of any sort. I refuse to deal with clients who forge any documents whatsoever.

In many cases a person can only get their letter of reference from the current employer by telling them the letter is for a different purpose, otherwise they a- risk unfair dismissal/termination, b- risk not being able to get a letter from an employer that they have been working for for years on end.

Think of it again. It's the employer's fault in that case, not the employee's. Everyone is entitled to get their references from current/past employers. Everyone has the right to leave their employer after giving the agreed upon notice. No one is to be held hostage just because an employer doesn't want them to leave, and no one should be summarily dismissed for aspiring for a better life.

Hi KnK

Some employers in some countries would immediately terminate an employee if they come to know they plan to apply for immigration and depart even in the distant future, which is a form of modern slavery I have to say.

There is no deception here. It is an employee's right to get a letter of reference. I am not advocating any deception or any fabrication of references of any sort. I refuse to deal with clients who forge any documents whatsoever.

In many cases a person can only get their letter of reference from the current employer by telling them the letter is for a different purpose, otherwise they a- risk unfair dismissal/termination, b- risk not being able to get a letter from an employer that they have been working for for years on end.

Think of it again. It's the employer's fault in that case, not the employee's. Everyone is entitled to get their references from current/past employers. Everyone has the right to leave their employer after giving the agreed upon notice. No one is to be held hostage just because an employer doesn't want them to leave, and no one should be summarily dismissed for aspiring for a better life.

I absolutely agree with you 100% and hate the fact employers are not supportive of employees or open minded but

1. If the DIBP or ACS contact the employer then there will be trouble, of course the probability is lower but it still exists

2. As a registered and qualified migration agent, you should follow the rules to a T. You have all the right to provide any advice you want or interpret the rules or help applicants but I would advice against doing that on an open forum.....perhaps a private message would be better

We all have to be practical about how we get things done, no one questions that but how you go about doing it is very important

KnK

I absolutely agree with you 100% and hate the fact employers are not supportive of employees or open minded but

1. If the DIBP or ACS contact the employer then there will be trouble, of course the probability is lower but it still exists

2. As a registered and qualified migration agent, you should follow the rules to a T. You have all the right to provide any advice you want or interpret the rules or help applicants but I would advice against doing that on an open forum.....perhaps a private message would be better

We all have to be practical about how we get things done, no one questions that but how you go about doing it is very important

KnK

Hi KnK

1- I perfectly understand the risk and I have had clients go under verification, and I explain it to them very clearly.

2- My advice above is absolutely in line with the MARA Code of Conduct. I am not breaching any acts, regulations, policies, or codes. I can't stress that enough: I am not advocating forgery or faking references. I am just suggesting that an employee might ask the employer for a genuine and truthful reference that truly and accurately represents their employment with that employer. Your employer does not have to be aware of the reason/purpose you are using this letter for. It's none of their business. You are entitled to a letter stating your period of employment and job description/duties for whatever purpose that is, as long as you are asking for the truth and nothing but the truth.

Another notable example is citizens of certain countries that I would not name here, that would be discriminated against or would even have their passports confiscated if their government finds out they are applying for Australian PR. How would they get a PCC, especially when they are asked for the purpose of it? Simply, the PCC is requested for another purpose (e.g. student visa). That is - again - the way you sometimes have to do things to get something you are entitled to (in that case, a piece of paper from your government that says you have not committed any crimes, which you certainly have not, but would not get if you simply say you want to migrate!)

Sometimes things work straightforward, sometimes they don't. Insisting on doing them the straightforward way when it will clearly fail is - IMHO - futile.

My initial concern was disclosing my plans to an employer. I do have an alternative reason why I would need such information and in-fact I do have the right to request a basic reference. The most important point is indeed the potential follow-up and the trade-off between whether I want this conversation to take place versus the additional points needed. Thanks for the comments. I will have to mull this over.

Hi KnK

1- I perfectly understand the risk and I have had clients go under verification, and I explain it to them very clearly.

2- My advice above is absolutely in line with the MARA Code of Conduct. I am not breaching any acts, regulations, policies, or codes. I can't stress that enough: I am not advocating forgery or faking references. I am just suggesting that an employee might ask the employer for a genuine and truthful reference that truly and accurately represents their employment with that employer. Your employer does not have to be aware of the reason/purpose you are using this letter for. It's none of their business. You are entitled to a letter stating your period of employment and job description/duties for whatever purpose that is, as long as you are asking for the truth and nothing but the truth.

Another notable example is citizens of certain countries that I would not name here, that would be discriminated against or would even have their passports confiscated if their government finds out they are applying for Australian PR. How would they get a PCC, especially when they are asked for the purpose of it? Simply, the PCC is requested for another purpose (e.g. student visa). That is - again - the way you sometimes have to do things to get something you are entitled to (in that case, a piece of paper from your government that says you have not committed any crimes, which you certainly have not, but would not get if you simply say you want to migrate!)

Sometimes things work straightforward, sometimes they don't. Insisting on doing them the straightforward way when it will clearly fail is - IMHO - futile.

Thanks for clarifying Ahmad and I do agree with everything you have said, if only ignorant employers and countries did not make it so hard for people seeking a better life.

KnK

Thanks for clarifying Ahmad and I do agree with everything you have said, if only ignorant employers and countries did not make it so hard for people seeking a better life.

KnK

Thanks KnK for the civilised discussion :) rarely seen on Internet forums when a disagreement ensues :)

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I lodged 189 Visa application on 10th July 2017. My immigration agent told me that Case Officer or his/her team is highly likely to contact me and/or my employer. I need to know if this has happened with everyone here or should I feel as an exception? 

Thanks for your help in advance.