Newby looking to move to Cairns

Wozzakai

Hello,

I am new to all of this. Myself and my hubbie are looking to move to Cairns early next year.

Does anyone have any idea how long the visa process takes? We applied for skills assessment with ANMAC about 5 weeks ago. Looking to go on a 189 independent skilled visa.

Also any tips on managing to get a rented property there and any advice about shipping companies would be great thanks.

Went to Cairns for a holiday this time last year, fell in love with the place and cannot wait to get back there.

• 2 months later...

Just been there on holiday. Port Douglas for 10 days Cairns for 4. Liked Port Douglas a lot more, smaller and the beach was really nice, a lot less touristy. We got a bit bored walking round Cairns but had a trip out to Fitzroy Island which was great. Loved the skyrail and Train up to and back from Kuranda.

Also liked the look of Palm Cove bus only stopped there to drop someone off but the bus driver lived there and loved it.

Had a great holiday but the locals said they didn't like it in the wet season.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I have family that live there also that say it is too hot and humid in some months but the rest of the time it is so worth it. When I visited I also loved Kuranda and the sky rail and port Douglas. I would potentially like to live somewhere in the middle of the two.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the info. I have family that live there also that say it is too hot and humid in some months but the rest of the time it is so worth it. When I visited I also loved Kuranda and the sky rail and port Douglas. I would potentially like to live somewhere in the middle of the two.

Probably Trinity Beach, Kewarra etc may be the best areas then. I love Palm Cove but the locals would think you are crazy loving so far out. Although I love PD just remember if you have to get in to Cairns the road can be blocked in wet season due to landslides and crashes. The same for living up in Kuranda, as soon as the rain starts the range gets blocked with accidents.

• 3 months later...