Tasmania + New Zealand....Info..any help very much appreciated

ozornz

Hi,

Another newbie…a load more of newbie questions. Thanks for help in advance.

We are a family of 4, Partner is a GP, kids 5 + 3 and myself a trainee teacher.

We are looking to emigrate to Tasmania or NZ. (not mainland Oz as he cant stand too much heat) Just at the start of the process, contacting employers, looking at which Uni I can switch to, searching the net…as you all do I am sure.

Lots of arguments for Tasmania and for NZ. Was wondering if you have any advice? We are flexible and are definitely looking for a change to; our pace of life, space and nicer place to live in general.

The money for GP in NZ is a good bit lower than in UK + Oz....Money is not the be all and end all but it is needed to survive.

Anyone got experience of both? NZ will be Christchurch , North of the South Island or Palmerston North area.

Any info from medics or partners of medics very welcome, in fact any info from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Hope you are all well. Look forward to chats and some good banter.

Ozornz

Welcome to the forum. NZ and Aus are so different. Lots of New Zealanders live in Australia although its become more difficult for them to come over these days with our border protection laws. I lived in NZ for about eight years a long time ago and then moved to Australia with a couple of Kiwi friends. One of these friends returned to live there as they both retired now, despite my telling them they should not do it. My friend hated it had a nervous breakdown over it and left her husband there and came to stay with me until he sold the house and returned to Aus. So its different as I said.

To teach in Australia you have to have a four year degree for all teaching.

GP's are employed differently here in Aus a lot work for large medical companies or themselves as we have the private and medicare systems here in Aus.

I like New Zealand to visit and have family there who migrated a long time ago from UK. I do not like the housing its not my cup of tea and its expensive. That said its expensive here as well.

Its a nice place to for a holiday.

Tasmania is lovely place for a holiday also. I like the northern part of Tasmania. Its cheaper for housing there. In Hobart every house as a view bit like Wellington.

Difficult decision to make.

Hi Petals,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope she is ok now. We know about some of the issues you said, work, 4 year teaching degree, housing etc.

Plan is to get a bit of land and build our own, wea are simple people so wont be anything over the top, no Grand Designs here.

We just need to weigh up the pros and cons of each and as you say it is a difficult decision. Still one will be getting chosen, we are doing a recce to NZ in Sept, just wish we could squeeze in Tasmania.

Many thanks for the advice.

No experience with NZ but I would say deffo OZ. Don't know where you got the stats but money for GPs here is not that bad. Can be quite good if your hubby is into GP partnerships and such.

Also, as an Aussie (once you get citizenship) it's a piece of cake to move to NZ, take up permanent residency and get NZ citizenship as well. The other way is not so easy. Kiwis get to stay and work here but if they want PR/Citizenship they have to apply like everyone else.

I'd go Oz too. I have lived in Tassie and often visited NZ and both are good places. NZ is a bit like going back in time , however - in many ways. After a while you might find this irritating. Of course the population is very low there but then Tasmania isn't exactly overcrowded, either. It would be that much easier to move to , say ,Victoria, from Tasmania if you wanted a faster pace of life. It is still pretty cool in Victoria except for a few weeks a year round January/February. Both are very beautiful places physically and I often think they are quite similar.

Hi toOZ2012 I think they way I wrote it looks funny, sorry. yes I think the money is about the same in OZ as in UK. More if you want to go into partnership as you say. In reallity I don't think he is but you never know for the right place. In the end we just need enough to survive.

Advice about residency and that is appreciated. We just need to make a decision and go for it. Thanks again all info appreciated.

Hi starlight7, good to hear you like both Tas and NZ. His head is spinning now, as we visited OZ 10 years ago covering Cairns to Melbourne. The only place he said he could see himself was Victoria - he loved Gippsland and so did. It is mad, we know we are coming...we just don't know where! We have time to recce NZ or OZ this year, not both.

I think we need to lock ourselves in a room and not come out until a decision is made.

Thanks for the advice - appreciated.

Hi starlight7, good to hear you like both Tas and NZ. His head is spinning now, as we visited OZ 10 years ago covering Cairns to Melbourne. The only place he said he could see himself was Victoria - he loved Gippsland and so did. It is mad, we know we are coming...we just don't know where! We have time to recce NZ or OZ this year, not both.

I think we need to lock ourselves in a room and not come out until a decision is made.

Thanks for the advice - appreciated.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula and love it here but I also like Gippsland. Its a lovely area and very popular place these days. the weather is cold and pouring with rain today so reflects English weather. I also like the North East of Victoria but that may be too warm for you in summer. Its so lovely up on the Murray and around the mountains, Bright, Mansfield, Wangaratta, Albury Wondonga. My son lives up on the Murray in Yarrawonga and he loves it there. Good luck as has been said you could come here first and its easy to go over to NZ then.

Any info from medics or partners of medics very welcome, in fact any info from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Ozornz

I've thought of 2 PIO subscribers who are medics who have settled in Tasmania. One is DrNemo (a GP): he/she hasn't posted since late last year but if you do a search for that name you will be able to send a Private Message and a notification should go through to his/her email.

The other medic - also a GP - hasn't posted for several years but I will PM you the website link for her GP practice. I believe she has also worked as a medic in New Zealand.

Thanks for the advice Petals, appreciated. A few people have said it is easier to go from oz to nz. Something to think about. We spent a couple of nights on the Mornington Peninsula. Stayed at a campsite run by an ex British Army guy.

Had a grand time. Cheers for the location advice.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula and love it here but I also like Gippsland. Its a lovely area and very popular place these days. the weather is cold and pouring with rain today so reflects English weather. I also like the North East of Victoria but that may be too warm for you in summer. Its so lovely up on the Murray and around the mountains, Bright, Mansfield, Wangaratta, Albury Wondonga. My son lives up on the Murray in Yarrawonga and he loves it there. Good luck as has been said you could come here first and its easy to go over to NZ then.

I've thought of 2 PIO subscribers who are medics who have settled in Tasmania. One is DrNemo (a GP): he/she hasn't posted since late last year but if you do a search for that name you will be able to send a Private Message and a notification should go through to his/her email.

The other medic - also a GP - hasn't posted for several years but I will PM you the website link for her GP practice. I believe she has also worked as a medic in New Zealand.

Thanks Petals, We stayed in the Mornington Peninsula for 2 nights at campsite run by an ex British Forces guy- had a grand time. Appreciate the location advice. As for easier to move from OZ to NZ I appreciate that. His job should get us in both ways if ever required. Getting great advice here, Thanks

I'd opt for Tassie but then I'm completely biased! ( married to a Tasmanian teacher) We're heading back in there in the next year or so....just can't quite decide on North or South! It's a wonderful place and easy enough to hop on a flight to Melbourne ( or Sydney) if you fancy a city fix. We have young children too. I can't wait to bring them up in Tasmania:)

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by Bound4Tassie

my son is a secondary teacher and that is why he lives in the country. He loves the country children. He teaches maths and science. He became a teacher degree way, science degree then diploma in secondary education. Both my children have degrees and teaching dipolomas although my daughter is not teaching presently.