confused

i'm confused by what i have read and what my agent is suggesting and seeing as so much money is involved i thought id do a bit more digging! I am a nurse, my qualification is a nursing diploma, the agent has said i need to do the English test, my brother in law doesn't think that is correct. He said that people who have done an English degree don't need to do the test. Now obviously i don't have a degree, but i have attended an English university. I was also born and educated in England and my family are all British.

The documents they have provided also mentioned that the agents will support the application process for registration to the Australian Nursing board and 'present' me to potential employers, however, i have read on this forum that this is not a normal practice. That agents aren't normally involved in helping find employment. Is this true or is it different for Nurses / skilled workers?

You don't have to do an English test. But many (maybe most) need it to boost the points. If you can get enough points without the English exam, good news. But it sounds like you will need to do it. Your degree (even if it was English) cannot be use to boost the points, you need to take IELTS or Pearson PTE exam. I think under some occupations you can take other exams.

You should trust your agent a little more.

Look here under the points test tab - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

I'd assume your migration agent knows more about what's required than your brother-in-law. To pass the skills assessment, it looks like you need to pass the English test: http://www.anmac.org.au/assessment-standards

"The Standard is met when the applicant can demonstrate achievement of the required scorein either the IELTS academic or OET for nurses English language test.All applicants applying under a full assessment are required to meet the English languagetesting criterion regardless of their country of origin"

i'm confused by what i have read and what my agent is suggesting and seeing as so much money is involved i thought id do a bit more digging! I am a nurse, my qualification is a nursing diploma, the agent has said i need to do the English test, my brother in law doesn't think that is correct. He said that people who have done an English degree don't need to do the test. Now obviously i don't have a degree, but i have attended an English university. I was also born and educated in England and my family are all British.

The documents they have provided also mentioned that the agents will support the application process for registration to the Australian Nursing board and 'present' me to potential employers, however, i have read on this forum that this is not a normal practice. That agents aren't normally involved in helping find employment. Is this true or is it different for Nurses / skilled workers?

Hi

Your main problem is if you only have a diploma in nursing you will not pass the skilll assessment nor will you be able to register with AHPRA as a nurse as a degree in nursing is the minimum requirement for both.

Guest Priscilla101

You can pass the skills assessment with anmac with a diploma. But you cannot get nurse registration without a degree. You're a nurse, you should have a level of sense do your own research. Look at what you need for skills assessment:

english test gets you points for visa. Can be used to prove you have 5 years of education taught in English. Can provide transcripts from high school or English test will cover it.

You can pass the skills assessment with anmac with a diploma. But you cannot get nurse registration without a degree. You're a nurse, you should have a level of sense do your own research. Look at what you need for skills assessment:

english test gets you points for visa. Can be used to prove you have 5 years of education taught in English. Can provide transcripts from high school or English test will cover it.

i am trying to do my own research and a part of that is asking people going through it or who have been through it. I have read many posts on here stating that agents arent usually involved in recruitment and t seems frowned upon, so im not sure why asking is getting such a negative repose. I actually thought very highly of the agent on the phone, but my 'level sense' reminds me that there is a huge amount of money involved in using an agent that i have never met, so asking others gives me a point of reference to ask him more questions.

Guest Priscilla101

Sorry. Read that back and it sounds a bit harsher than my intention. Getting a visa you'll need the English test for the skills assessment. But you won't get nurse registration without a degree, unless you want to work as a health care

Nobody "has" to do the test. But if you need the points you do it.

Nursing is a different ball game though, you may not need to take an English test for points, but you do to work.

And as others have said, you can't work as a nurse in Australia without a degree in nursing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nobody "has" to do the test. But if you need the points you do it.

Nursing is a different ball game though, you may not need to take an English test for points, but you do to work.

And as others have said, you can't work as a nurse in Australia without a degree in nursing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

yes i understand the diploma /degree issue, i have enrolled on 3 modules from sept/oct to top up to the degree by the summer so all being well with the visa application my degree will be completed by the time the visa is in place.

thank you

my brother in law is a lawyer and is in Aus, so when he said he didnt have to do an English test because he has a degree from an English university, there was no reason for me not to believe what he was saying, my question is, is this correct for all visas.

Very little is correct for all visas.

There are several considerations for the English test:

• Do you need it for a skills assessment? Some occupations do, including teachers, nurses, etc. You'd need to check with the skills assessor for your occupation to know if one is required

• Do you need it for the visa? Some visas do require at minimum level English proficiency (e.g. skilled migration) and some do not (e.g. partner visas). For citizens of certain countries (UK, Ireland, Canada, USA, NZ) they are assumed to have Competent English and their passport is evidence of this. Sometimes English can be sufficiently proven by having taken at least xxx years schooling where the medium of instruction was in English. You'd need to check the visa you are applying for.

• Do you need it to avoid paying an additional application fee. There are several visas where dependents 18 and over must pay an additional fee (approx. $4900) if they can't prove they have Functional English. Again, this can sometimes be sufficiently proven by having taken at least xxx years schooling where the medium of instruction was in English.

• Do you need additional points? For points-tested visas (e.g. 189), you can gain up to 20 additional points if you can prove a higher level of English proficiency

There may be additional considerations for the English test that I haven't remembered, but it's best not to assume it's not necessary because it's your native language.