Moving to Australia in 2 weeks- advice on what to do in first weeks of arriving?

marie

Hi all,

So its just 2 weeks till we are emigrating to Australia.(gold coast,QLD)

Just wondered some advice on things I need to do once in oz or have I forgotten anything that needs doing in those first few weeks?

1-already got bank set up :) car hire from airport for 1week,place to stay for 3 weeks.

2- GET A TFN number- looks like this can be done online, or at post office.

3- I need to buy a car- I wont have an address when we arrive- can we buy a car/get insurance without an address straight away?

& get road tax,Insurance, and recovery insurance

4-Get driving license changed to AUStralian ( think I read have up to 3months to change)

5- get a rental house-

6- sort Medicare out which I think I just go into a Medicare to do.

7- Sim cards for Uk phones which are unloked

8- Possible private healthcare insurance

Hi all,

So its just 2 weeks till we are emigrating to Australia.(gold coast,QLD)

Just wondered some advice on things I need to do once in oz or have I forgotten anything that needs doing in those first few weeks?

1-already got bank set up :) car hire from airport for 1week,place to stay for 3 weeks.

2- GET A TFN number- looks like this can be done online, or at post office.

3- I need to buy a car- I wont have an address when we arrive- can we buy a car/get insurance without an address straight away?

& get road tax,Insurance, and recovery insurance

4-Get driving license changed to AUStralian ( think I read have up to 3months to change)

5- get a rental house-

6- sort Medicare out which I think I just go into a Medicare to do.

7- Sim cards for Uk phones which are unloked

8- Possible private healthcare insurance

Hi Marie,

we go in 5 weeks, here's what i have down, to do over the first few weeks

register with Center link for Medicare

Apply for TFN online

ABN online for JRP

Get Australian Drivers licenses x 2

Get Sims Cards x 3

Arrange release Appointment for Dogs from quarantine

Register with local Doctor

Find Temp 6 month rental

Buy a Used car

Get car Insurance

Inform Bank of New Address

Register dogs with Council

Register with a Vets

Get Dog Collars with Name tags

Oh and find a job!!

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

Aww can remember all this good luck both i been in perth now for 9 weeks! Yep basically thats it!

Tip - i bought amaysin sim cards online for the four of us registered and topped up a day before leaving that way we all had working phones when we landed in oz and popped in our sims which helped to let family know we arrived safely.

U have 3 months to get oz driving licence so no hurry for that but it is a good source of id.

ABN was easy did it online for the husband and although no letter confirming he is active when i searched the abn register and that took less than 2 weeks.

Medicare just went to the office with id for us all and tempory cards given straight away cards arrived 2 weeks later ( we used a friends address as we didnt have a permenant one then)

TFN was also easy applied online and back within 14 days.

Stressed over so much before arriving but everything was really easy.

Good luck with it all, u will be here before you know it!

Aww can remember all this good luck both i been in perth now for 9 weeks! Yep basically thats it!

Tip - i bought amaysin sim cards online for the four of us registered and topped up a day before leaving that way we all had working phones when we landed in oz and popped in our sims which helped to let family know we arrived safely.

U have 3 months to get oz driving licence so no hurry for that but it is a good source of id.

ABN was easy did it online for the husband and although no letter confirming he is active when i searched the abn register and that took less than 2 weeks.

Medicare just went to the office with id for us all and tempory cards given straight away cards arrived 2 weeks later ( we used a friends address as we didnt have a permenant one then)

TFN was also easy applied online and back within 14 days.

Stressed over so much before arriving but everything was really easy.

Good luck with it all, u will be here before you know it!

Hi, sorry to jump in, what is ABN? I leave on Monday...alone. Hubby doesn't finish work until 20th July so will follow then! I have no idea how I'm feeling! Impossible to describe.