Mobile phone providers

trabonita

Hi,

we arrive in Sydney in just under 4 weeks. I want to be prepared when I get there so we can get things sorted asap. Just wondering what mobile networks are popular, where I might get a good deal on a mobile phone package, particularly one that offers free/cheap calls back to the UK as I imagine that is what I will be using it for the most! Any suggestion greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Telstra provide best coverage and have some fair deals. Call back to UK via internet calls, Skype etc as international calls via mobile are very expensive if at all possible. Telstra provide landline international deals.

S

When I was there in Feb, i got a pay as you go SIM with Optus. For $40 that was unlimited calling and texting in Australia and 8 gigs of data. Also included was unlimited international calling to ten countries off which the UK was one. Not sure what the current deals are.

I found the reception to be good, not had any issues. They consistently had best deals as I checked in the run up to me visiting.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have a pay monthly sim with optus - really good 4g coverage in Melbourne. Includes 8gb data, unlimited calls and texts in aus, 150 international free talk minutes a month, unlimited international text to selected countries (inc UK) for $50 a month. Cant fault them really

We use Skype for calls tbh. Or facetime. And Viber for texts and stuff usually. Comes off the data plan, the one we have is large. My parents don't use FB or anything and my Mum loves being able to text with Viber and to send and receive pics in real time. We Skype on the iPad usually and this is on our home broadband plan. As is Viber of course if I am at home.

I'd go into a store once you are here, check the coverage and see what plans they have and go with the one that suits you best.

Plans change all the time! It's coverage that will be most important to you so check the coverage maps first. On my last trip I got a really good deal with Vodafone as it was the best offer at the time (never thought I would go with Vodafone, have always avoided them like the plague before but it was a very good deal and the coverage was good). One of the data based apps for calls is definitely the way to go.

Telstra, Optus and Voda all work really. In Sydney they all get reception.

One thing we found was that it pays to get a number in place almost straight away, as you need to an Australian number to apply for almost anything (as this is online, it literally won't let you do it without an 04 number)

We got 'temporary' sim cards straight away, but to be honest I am still using that, as it works and i never got around to changing it.

I pay $40 pcm for 7gb data ands unlimited calls and texts in Aus, plus 300 mins of international calls (back to UK). I didn't really make many calls, but it's there if need it. It's an 'Amaysim' sim (which uses Optus network) which you can buy at any shop like Woolies or Coles.

My wife got a Vodafone sim for $30 pcm which offers quite a lot too 3 or 4gb data, international calls etc. They both work fine! I think there's a lot of competition, so the plans are quite well matched anyway.

If you were in business, make lots of work calls and travel to more remote places, Telstra is supposed to have best coverage for all that. If you live in the city, they all work.