A few questions about flying out

GeoSurfer

Hi all,

Flying out on Sunday (on me own :embarrassed:)

Just a few questions...

Flying with Singapore Airlines from Manchester to Brisbane via Singapore. I can (and will) check in 48 hours before departure. How does bag drop work? Is it unmanned? I have only checked in online for flights I didn't have hold luggage before so went straight through. I have read that if you require documentation checks for the destination country (visas) this will be done at the desk. Not really sure what the process is going to be. I guess it must be manned because online check in can't give you the sticky luggage labels?

Ticket doesn't mention it but judging by the flight numbers and FlightRadar we also stop in Munich, get off then back on again and carry on. Anyone else done this route? Wish I could just stay on...

Any answers appreciated.

No the bag drop will not be unmanned. I don't know if Singapore Airlines has a separate bag drop, but for Emirates you just go to the normal check-in counter. What that means is the only advantage of checking in early is that you get to choose your seats.

You will have to take your carry-on off the flight in Munich but your baggage should go straight through.

I have flown this route loads. There will be someone at Manchester at the chekin desks who can sort your bags out. If you checkin online you will get boarding passes you print yourself for both legs. If you checkin at the airport they will print some for you. Your bags will be checked in all the way to Brisbane.

If your Visas are assigned to the passport you use to checkin with you shouldn't need any documentation. But take it anyway!

You have to get off in Munich whilst they refuel the aircraft. I assume it's health and safety. You do not have to go through security again. You get off and walk up the jet way into the gate area and wait there. When they are ready you just get called back on. There are some bathrooms near by. On the way back you stay on the aircraft as they do not refuel (if you are infact flying back!). I wouldn't worry about getting of the aircraft, you will be fine :)

If you are migrating you can get an extra 10KG of baggage for free, they might ask to see a copy of your visa. But you will need to contact them in advance. Assuming you are flying economy, you will get 30KG to spread across as many cases as you like. If you go for the extra 10KG you will get 40KG.

On the first flight, again assuming you are flying economy, you will get seats with 9 across (3-3-3). The seats are the latest and you will also get the newest touch screen in flight entertainment. You will get a power socket and a USB port. The power socket on the 777-300ER will accept Australian and American plugs, you might need an adapter for british devices. I am not sure if the new seats accept British sockets I can't remember. You will also have WIFI on this flight.

On the second flight to Brisbane you are on a Airbus A330-300. These have slightly older seats and inflight entertainment. Although the inflight entertainment is older its still really good! The good thing about the A330 is it will accept British plugs in the power outlets. You also get a USB port. You will get 8 seats across in a 2-4-2 configuration, unless you are sat at the back. There is no WIFI on this aircraft.

I have put some pictures of your seats below.

When you connect in Changi its really easy. The best airport I have ever made connections at and I have done loads of those! If you need help ask a member of staff, they are very helpful. If you scan your Brisbane boarding pass on the machines dotted around the airport it will tell you what gate you are at and will shop a map guiding you there. Keep scanning as you go along to check you are heading the right way. If you want to keep it simple you can walk and not use the busses or sky train. I have also posted a map below.

I am living near Manchester and I am moving to Brisbane myself. If you want to meet up and ask any questions drop me a PM.

Thanks

The 777-300ER seat - First Flight

Screen-shot-2013-09-21-at-5.38.58-PM-590x315.png

9831895905_c811b1841d_h.jpg

The A330-300 Seat - Second Flight

1317620501683.jpg

Changi Airport Map

landing.png

Edited by JetBlast

Thanks all!

@JetBlast, fantastic stuff, thanks so much for all the detail and pictures, really helpful! I'll print the map of Singapore Airport and take it with me, thanks for the tip about scanning my ticket too.

I'm in cattle class economy (definitely no upgrades now the pound has disintegrated!) so the seat info is very much appreciated, the plugs are very welcome too, I'm sure I can fill a few hours with Angry Birds on my phone now :)

I have emailed about the extra luggage allowance this morning, hopefully they'll get back to me on that one, although carrying two 20kg cases on my own at the other end might feel a bit knackering. At least it won't be 40C! :smile: EDIT: Email confirms they still will do provided my visa is 'unstamped/unused' when I get there, which it obviously is, hopefully no hiccups with the passport!

Edited by GeoSurfer

No problem, glad I can give something back to forum.

This link might also be helpful - http://www.ausbt.com.au/a-beginner-s-guide-to-transiting-singapore-s-changi-airport

At Brisbane there are loads of baggage trolleys near the baggage belts. They are really light and easy to push as well. Just grab one, it will make your life easier.

Best of luck!