'Loading' and 'Unloading' shipping containers....

Beaty

B,

I ordered a 40 foot as I didn't think we would be able to get the goods in a 20 with amateur packers. Chess Moving brought it all in a 20". Get a company in to quote (PSS were good), gives you an idea of what you'd need. Extra cost was £450 for 40 foot over 20 foot.

As all goods were cling wrapped, they stuck to each other, so no movement. We had plenty of space, so my worry was movement, but only a couple of boxes slightly crushed and to be realistic, they were weaker boxes. I worked for an IT company so had access to lots of DELL PC boxes and monitor boxes (good for pictures).

Chess provided 3 guys and they unloaded in 2.5 hrs, and also unwrapped all furniture. We left the boxes to ourselves as we're not sure where things are going yet.

The insurance is for the Marine part (boat sinks etc). As a self pack - china/mirrors etc are not covered.

Gale.

• 2 weeks later...
B,

I ordered a 40 foot as I didn't think we would be able to get the goods in a 20 with amateur packers. Chess Moving brought it all in a 20". Get a company in to quote (PSS were good), gives you an idea of what you'd need. Extra cost was £450 for 40 foot over 20 foot.

As all goods were cling wrapped, they stuck to each other, so no movement. We had plenty of space, so my worry was movement, but only a couple of boxes slightly crushed and to be realistic, they were weaker boxes. I worked for an IT company so had access to lots of DELL PC boxes and monitor boxes (good for pictures).

Chess provided 3 guys and they unloaded in 2.5 hrs, and also unwrapped all furniture. We left the boxes to ourselves as we're not sure where things are going yet.

The insurance is for the Marine part (boat sinks etc). As a self pack - china/mirrors etc are not covered.

Gale.

Thanks for updating were going Adelaide to UK &looking at self packing- got chess to quote us. So you wrapped all furniture in foam then cling wrap??

Thanks for updating were going Adelaide to UK &looking at self packing- got chess to quote us. So you wrapped all furniture in foam then cling wrap??

Yes,

4mm foam wrap (we gave the big bits away on gumtree last week, along with some boxes). Then cling wrap on top and then numbered the item.

Bunnings doing 52L plastic storage boxes for $5.45 each. A good buy and the way to go with non-furniture/large items.

Gale.

Yes,

4mm foam wrap (we gave the big bits away on gumtree last week, along with some boxes). Then cling wrap on top and then numbered the item.

Bunnings doing 52L plastic storage boxes for $5.45 each. A good buy and the way to go with non-furniture/large items.

Gale.

Thank-you for the tips!

Guest Priscilla101

Move cube

departed Newcastle on 14august. Arrived at my door in Melbourne on 14 September. Nothing broken. All packed and stored by me. As well as giving seven seas my inventory list (numbered boxes with what was in) a copy was taped inside. I took pictures and customs have been through a few things and took my inventory. But nothing stopped. £780 for cube and insurance $250 to clear customs.

no drama all good. Would use again

We came back 18 months ago and I arranged all myself. The container I phoned around and got quotes, I checked with local council for leaving it on a nature strip for a couple of days, found a local small removalist who would finish off the packing up and load the container, he provided a VAT receipt in order to qualify for the insurance, the container was never opened and inspected. It took a good half day to unload and put into storage. Was cheaper though than going through an international removalist but quite stressful with all the paperwork etc.

Move cube

departed Newcastle on 14august. Arrived at my door in Melbourne on 14 September. Nothing broken. All packed and stored by me. As well as giving seven seas my inventory list (numbered boxes with what was in) a copy was taped inside. I took pictures and customs have been through a few things and took my inventory. But nothing stopped. £780 for cube and insurance $250 to clear customs.

no drama all good. Would use again

What did you get in there? Just boxes? We're still deciding if 2 move cubes would be a better option- we have white goods &sofa &beds etc but most furniture cones apart.... just not sure of big enough!

The only way to really tell is mark out the floor space and stack it up.

I took some photos in my thread about it:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/235966-movecube-ala-tetris.html

we got all our stuff in easily and with space to spare.

in hindsight, i would have done the same and then booked a smaller one for the rest of the stuff that we ended up dumping, on to have to buy here again.

The only way to really tell is mark out the floor space and stack it up.

I took some photos in my thread about it:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/235966-movecube-ala-tetris.html

we got all our stuff in easily and with space to spare.

in hindsight, i would have done the same and then booked a smaller one for the rest of the stuff that we ended up dumping, on to have to buy here again.

Thanks so much for this info &link- really useful- think we'll do large &small move cube

• 2 weeks later...
The shipping company did it all. In fact I think we packed some boxes (books etc) but left them open so that they could be checked by the shipping company before they were loaded, but most were packed by the shippers. On delivery the shipping company unloaded the boxes into the house, and we then unpacked at our leisure. They did offer to empty the boxes and take the rubbish away, but I wanted to do it myself.

I could agree more, shipping firms will do all the task with regards to loading and unloading you will just give the information where to ship etc. Firms will process your container transport shipping from your home to your new home, if you want a no effort at all just let them do all the tasks but if you wanted also to load and unload some feel free to do it. It doesn't matter at all. With regards to unloading the truck driver and his assistant or assistant driver will do the unloading stuffs. LOL

Hope this enlightened you!

Emelia Ingram

BR International Shipping Container Transport

Edited by offshorebp