Living in Redfern

brunettegal84

Yes and no. There are good areas and bad areas of Redfern and they are very close together.

Redfern is one of those areas that was originally very deprived and run-down, and has become trendy and fashionable with young people. I feel perfectly safe walking around during the day and I have a friend who lives in the Watertower (near Redfern Station) who says she feels safe, but I think I would feel nervous at night there.

The Surry Hills side of Redfern is indistinguishable from Surry Hills.

Just avoid the immediate vicinity of Redfern station and keep to the residential streets on the eastern side and you will be fine.

Yes I'd be happy to go live on that side too. Great spot for public transport and would be walkable to CBD also.

Edited by vickyplum

Average house prices in Redfern:

Suburb Profile Report for Redfern NSW (2016)

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TH][/TH]

[TH]HOUSE[/TH]

[TH]UNIT[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Median price[/TD]

[TD]$1,365,000[/TD]

[TD]$800,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Quarterly growth[/TD]

[TD]3.33%[/TD]

[TD]0.63%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12-month growth[/TD]

[TD]26.39%[/TD]

[TD]7.02%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Average Annual Growth[/TD]

[TD]10.00%[/TD]

[TD]8.19%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I only visited Redfern once as my friend had to work half a shift whilst I hanged around Redfern for a list to the airport, so take my comments with a pinch of salt as I don't know the area. Personally I thought it felt a little rough or at least the part I was dropped off in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

It depends on your circumstances. I work in Chippendale which is just next door, and I travel in and out from where I live on the North Shore by train. I've been in and out of the station at all hours (between 8 am to 1am)

It's very vibey with loads of great old pubs and loads of creative business in the area. Loads of old victorian buildings in the area. Historic Sydney. Loads of cafes; coffee shops and is right in the vicinity of the Universities, Central Park. It's only really 5-10 minutes walk from Central station, and is also quite near Newtown, so it's near everything for adults who don't have kids I guess. If that's you, it would be an excellent spot. It's super hipster. and Newtown is one of those progressive places with a Green MP. So you get the idea... I'd say it's quite different from other more 'corporate' parts of the city

Rough - for many people, including all the cool people I work with this can be translated to interesting/cool/vibey - although many of these guys live in surrounding or nearby ish suburbs, Darlington, Newtown, Erskinville etc - it's all in the greater area, and all on a similar tip.

Even if you do have kids it might also be ok. There are some other types of people there, and you get a few beggars around the station, but they never cause any bother. I walk past the Eveleigh Pub and to the station and there's lots of families on the terrace houses up there. I think at one time it was a more affordable part of the city, but not really now.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255060-d8318332-r316714661-The_Eveleigh_Hotel_Restaurant-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

So - it depends what you want/need in your life. If you like arts, culture, music, cafes and pubs theres lots to do. It's also pretty central for most things you might want. Close by cool places, Surry Hills Chippendale, Darlington, Newtown, Ultimo - so it's close to the city and the inner west.

If i wasn't a Dad of 3 kids I would probably like to live in the area, but it's too built up for my current needs.

Edited by Captain Roberto