Marine insurance

Becks22

This is a hypothetical question, before people jump up and down about me being stupid or something!

Has any one not bothered with Marine insurance and is any one glad they did? Our goods are just about to be shipped, we are finalising insurance but wondered whether people have experiences of using/ not using marine insurance, just out of interest!!

We insured our container when shipping from UK to Aus. I've never referred to it as marine insurance though.

Impartial companies are more likely to settle any claims quicker than using a shipping companies own. Check out Letton Percival or IYM.

We also went with Letton Percival, if nothing else they were genuinely half the cost the removals company quoted! Our stuff is sat port side in the UK waiting to ship so wont know for a while if we need to claim, but I wondered whether it was the norm to insure stuff or whether there were lots of people who take the risk. I personally am too highly strung to take the risk!

• 3 months later...
This is a hypothetical question, before people jump up and down about me being stupid or something!

Has any one not bothered with Marine insurance and is any one glad they did? Our goods are just about to be shipped, we are finalising insurance but wondered whether people have experiences of using/ not using marine insurance, just out of interest!!

Hi #Becks22, just came across your thread. We are now exactly in the same situation as you were back then. Wondering what yo decided to do in the end, which insurance company did you go with (or not) and how things worked out for you???

Would be great to hear your experience.

Thanks, Eva

Hi #Becks22, just came across your thread. We are now exactly in the same situation as you were back then. Wondering what yo decided to do in the end, which insurance company did you go with (or not) and how things worked out for you???

Would be great to hear your experience.

Thanks, Eva

My understanding is using an impartial company like Letton Percival will see any claim get sorted and paid out for quicker. The shipping companies own are more likely to drag their heels to pay up.