Citizenship

cyndy

Hi I need help ... My family emigrated to to Australia in the 50's I was a small child , my mother brought me back to England when i was 15 and then divorced my father . My father and brother stayed in Australia. I came back on her passport so i never had citizenship. I have traveled to Aussie many times to see my family but now i would like to spend the rest of my life with my loved ones as i have no family in the uk ... I am 62 and I have been reading If my husband and i went on a retirement visa the cost is ridiculous., I lived in Aussie most of my childhood at least over 10 years does this give me any rights ? My brother has lived there 60 years and also my dad who sadly has passed away please can anyone help ... Thank you in advance

If you'd been born in Australia you would've been in an excellent position - but being a British citizen who spent a few years of your childhood in Australia doesn't count for anything, I'm afraid.

There is a "last remaining relative" visa. It's for people who have no family left outside Australia. However I'm pretty sure your husband's family would also count so if he still has surviving family, that might not work.

The time you spent in Australia as a child would have counted towards you being eligible for a Former Resident (151) visa - but unfortunately you need to be under 45 years old to qualify for one of those.

What a shame you waited so long.

It might be worth trying to get an RRV - you might be lucky and get one if you can show compelling reasons why you left and stayed away.

Edited by NickyNook

the time you spent in australia as a child would have counted towards you being eligible for a former resident (151) visa - but unfortunately you need to be under 45 years old to qualify for one of those.

What a shame you waited so long.

It might be worth trying to get an rrv - you might be lucky and get one if you can show compelling reasons why you left and stayed away.

I have my dads Australian passport which i am hoping will help .. I know its a long shot and as i said before we are self sufficient so we would never think burdening anyone thank you kindly for your help i really do appreciate it. There is a 50 years waiting list for the last remaining relative so my toes will be turned up by then lol xx The reason i stayed in the uk was I had one child who i did not want to do to him what was done to me but now he has his own family and understands why i want to go back.

Edited by cyndy

I have my dads Australian passport which i am hoping will help .. I know its a long shot and as i said before we are self sufficient so we would never think burdening anyone thank you kindly for your help i really do appreciate it...

My partner had his grandparents Australian passports and it didn't help (deceased). We had to apply for a PR in our own right, no matter that uncles, aunties, cousins all live in Australia. A passport is not as important as you people thing as it's not regarded as a proof of citizenship by authorities but an Australian Citizenship Certificate is.

You claim you are not burdening anyone but this is not true as you would have access to Medicare and other health professionals. Why should Australian tax payers be financially liable for paying your life style choice of moving here?

I'm afraid it does sound harsh but you would also certainly use tax payer funded roads and infrastructure by people who worked and paid taxes here all their lives.

I would give it a shot with trying to obtain a RRV but government made it so hard to regain permanent residency as this is exactly what they wanted to prevent: aging former residents returning to Australia after long periods of absence but with a higher risk of burden of costs in the health sector.

Edited by silencio

I have my dads Australian passport which i am hoping will help .. I know its a long shot and as i said before we are self sufficient so we would never think burdening anyone thank you kindly for your help i really do appreciate it. There is a 50 years waiting list for the last remaining relative so my toes will be turned up by then lol xx The reason i stayed in the uk was I had one child who i did not want to do to him what was done to me but now he has his own family and understands why i want to go back.

That suggests you're thinking of going for citizenship by descent? You'll be able to get that IF one of your parents was a citizen at the time you were born. It doesn't count if they became citizens later.

I know you are not planning to come to Australia and go on benefits, BUT you will be entitled to medical treatment on Medicare (equivalent of the NHS) and you will also be eligible for aged care in your old age. That's why the Australia govt makes it so difficult for older people to migrate to Australia, because the cost of medical and aged care is so high. A typical taxpayer has contributed 40+ years of tax and medicare levies to the system to pay for all that - an older migrant hasn't, so that is a burden on the taxpayer whether you mean to be or not.

You are so wrong you need to check you facts as i did ... there is an agreement set in place for the Australians who come to Britain and get all healthcare here free not the basic one you get if you go to Australia ( i am paying for them but i do not think its a burden )there is one set in Australia for Britain's but this is were you miss understand I cannot claim Medicare (not would i want to in Australia) I have to take our my own Private Medical Insurance which i have here in the UK and have for 20 years .. My mum went to Australia and took very ill it cost 3,000 English pounds which we were billed for and gladly paid as the Hospital were fantastic ... so sorry but the only treatment i can get is the less than the Australians who enter the UK .And how is the tax payers paying for me?? we have our own pensions and are very self sufficient and will also be paying tax in Australia . But thank you all for you comments.

Edited by cyndy

You are so wrong you need to check you facts as i did ... there is an agreement set in place for the Australians who come to Britain and get all healthcare here free not the basic one you get if you go to Australia ( i am paying for them but i do not think its a burden )there is one set in Australia for Britain's but this is were you miss understand I cannot claim Medicare (not would i want to in Australia) I have to take our my own Private Medical Insurance which i have here in the UK and have for 20 years .. My mum went to Australia and took very ill it cost 3,000 English pounds which we were billed for and gladly paid as the Hospital were fantastic ... so sorry but the only treatment i can get is the less than the Australians who enter the UK .And how is the tax payers paying for me?? we have our own pensions and are very self sufficient and will also be paying tax in Australia . But thank you all for you comments.

Melissa wasn't trying to offend.

However, what she says is correct.

The Australian government are very strict in letting in older people because of things like potential Medicare costs. The reason being is that there is no way of forcing someone to continue private medical insurance. From the governments perspective, anyone can say that and then the moment they get the visa stop.

At the moment, it would be very difficult for you to get a visa other than a tourist visa or retirement visa. I am guessing you have previously had these to visit Australia? In which case, this may on its own prevent a resident return visa as one visa cancels the previous.

A retirement visa appears to be your only option