Radiographer Skilled Migrant 189 visa Granted June 2016

Debs

Hi,

I work as a diagnostic Radiographer (currently in the UK).

I applied for my visa without an agent, and although stressful at times, I got there in the end. I have been granted my visa fairly quickly, although like others have stated this took nearly two years preparation collating everything and getting my registration with the Australian Institute of Radiography.

I hope my journey maybe of help to others or feel free to ask me any questions.:rolleyes:

Diagnostic Radiographer

EOI 29th April 2016 – 65 points skilled independant 189

• Invite to apply 10th May 2016 - Visa granted 10th June 2016

• Visa application 13th May 2016 ($3638.88 or £1830.16 + £54.72 transaction fee)

• Allocation and request for more info 25th May 2016 (confirmation dependent wasn’t travelling with me and father has full custody, clarification on my years of skilled work as had a few months at 14 hours a week not 20)

-----------------------------

Medical 8th April 2016 £250 – Bloods, Chest x-ray, eye test, urine sample and basic medical exam

Police check – ACRO, completed on line £80 for 2 working days service

Certified documents £150 with a notary at a solicitors

IELTS academic - £150 (three hour exam without a break, very strict admission only allowing a pencil, water and passport in the room. Then a different venue for speaking test, about 20 mins) 2 week wait for result

Listening 8.5 Reading 8.0 Writing 7 Speaking 9

Ahpra

Fit2work police check 07/06/15 and 23/03/16 (takes about 3 days online application £177.54 +£5.31 transaction fee

Application received 25th September 2015

Eligible for registration – 25th October 2015

Extension given as needed to supply visa details, couldn’t provide as needed AIR registration to apply for visa. Updated Fit2Work check required to re-apply

Re-applied for AHPRA – received 30th May 2016, Awaiting confirmaion

AIR – Australian Institute of Radiography

Letter took 3 weeks to arrive?? Arrived 13/11/15 $825

Can take up to 16 weeks. At week 10, I informed them of change of address. The acknowledged this. No news by week 16. I called them and they said to give it another couple of weeks. Emailed again and they said they had posted to my old address!

Finally copy received end of March 2016 (Certificate dated February)

Certified documents for AIR and AHPRA £200 from notary at a solicitors.

Approx cost

UK £3312

Other info:

Emails to university to acquire course module details

Employer letters

CPD information

Photo for AIR and police check

Endless photocopying and scanning

Next tasks

Finding job in Melbourne

Giving notice at work

Shipping furniture

Finding a rental

Booking flight

Radiation licence

Good Luck to any of those at the beginning of journey or in the midst of the stressful wait...:wub:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Debs,

Thank you for putting up such a detailed post..... I'm currently gathering documents/researching the process ready to apply in September as I reach two years employment experience.

Would you mind if I put some of the many questions I have to you?

I will also be trying to complete the process without the use of a migration agent! So if you are still active I would much appreciate the help.

Thanks

Gordon

Thank you and fingers crossed..... I started a degree in radiography with the purpose of moving to Australia and next month I can begin the process (At last)

I'm going to start with the AIR assessment and then prep and ready the AHPRA application and Skillselect application when I get the go ahead from the AIR.

With the AIR assessment who did you use to certify the documents? Solicitor or Notary?

Thanks

Gordon

I found a notary that worked with a solicitors company. It appeared to be an additional title only some solicitors held. 

I do think there was room for movement on the actual visa application on line, that things didn't need to be notorised if colour copies scanned in. 

Do have a list of documents you need signed. My notary did a cover sheet and then bound two books with a signature on each page (one for ahpra and one for AIR).  It maybe worth getting both sets of documents prepared for one notary visit. 

Debs 

Yes I've got the list of everything and am getting them all prepared and want to be ready to post straight away.

I've already got some documents notorised but if the solicitor is cheaper and I can use them for the AIR then might be best to get them to do it and save the notarized copies for the AHPRA.

Did you have to get the uni course syllabus certified as well... it's quite a hefty document!? I've got a copy from the uni with their stamp so hopefully that will do.

So how is radiography in oz?

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

Hi, 

i only had a letter from the uni as it was a few years since my course and they couldn't supply the sylubus. I did get the letter notorised. 

The posting recorded delivery is costly costly and stressful awaiting its arrival here... but seems the only way still at present. 

Radiography here has similarities and differences. The health system means a range of things are covered with Medicare (similar to NHS), although people encouraged to have private insurance for things not covered. There are lots of private practices. Radiology can be within a public or private hospital but also just random clinics on the street or in a shopping centre! Private referrers appear to have more leaway on what they can request and numerous places still print on film. 

I would say generally waiting times are less and examinations often reported quicker. In general radiography you may fine they perform more views than the  standard AP and Lat. Equipment wise, mainly similar, but can vary a lot with some places having dated stuff. 

Salaries higher, although the cost of living probably slightly higher too (with current exchange rate). 

Work wise it's common to work 40 hours a week standard and accrue a day off once a month. Sick leave and AL often need to be accrued before taking time off or its unpaid leave. Pay is often fortnightly which I'm now getting used to. 

Debs