Advice on appliances

shargreaves

Just after a bit of advice please. We are looking into shipping prices at the moment and trying to decide what to take with us. We have decided not to take any beds due to the size differences n also we'd be looking to get 3 double beds for when we have visitors. We were wondering about our kitchen appliances. Do we take our fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer? ? They are all relatively new and black to match in with our kitchen. Are they easy to get hold of in black in Oz??? What are prices like?? If theres room in the container is it worth putting them in to save us having to buy new when we first get over there??

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

If they are in newish condition and you want to ship them, do so. And if you don't care if it all matches in whatever house you end up in once in Aus.

Keep in mind you'll be without items shipped till they arrive and clear customs. Average is 12-14 weeks. Most Aus rentals will have a hob and/or cooker. I have seen some homes without ovens though, only hobs. Washing machines, dryers and fridges are usually the tenants responsibility and are empty spaces in most rentals when viewing vacant properties.

UK fridge freezers and tall fridges tend to be narrower than Aus fridges. The gap we have in our house for the fridge is wide but not as tall. Our UK fridge freezer would never have fitted in it height wise and we'd have a foot gap or so to the side.

Honestly, if its important to you and you are filling a sole use container anyways, bring them. If you don't mind replacing here, have the funds to do so, shop once you are here. Good Guys and places like that are fine. You can haggle a bit on price too.

When we moved into our rental, the fridge was too tall for the fridge space so we put it in the garage to keep the beer in.

We bought a small second hand fridge freezer to fit the space. When we moved into our own house we put the big fridge into laundry, the small fridge went into the garage and a lovely new 2 door fridge went into our kitchen.

Now I know 3 fridges does sound excessive but we use them all. You can get big cartons of ice cream and freeze 2 or 3 loaves of bread without and problem.

I don't know why everyone thinks beds are different sizes here because they really aren't that different. You just have to remember that a UK king is the same as an Australian queen and you are fine. There is a slight difference in size but bedding still fits fine. Even fitted sheets aren't that bad. I currently have a UK single fitted sheet on an Australian single bed and an Australian queen sized fitted sheet on a UK King sized bed. By all means decide not to bring beds because you will want beds here before they get here and you would rather buy new, but don't leave them behind because bed sizes are different, because they they aren't.