Shipping - what extra costs are there?

djmcbell

My question is similar and related mainly to GST. We've brought a couple of classic cars with us - one of which was assembled in Australia and was here for many years before I exported it to the UK, partially restored it and have brought it back to finish off here - I'm being asked for $1900 in GST (no duty) although I was under the impression this would not attract GST as it was assembled here in Australia. The other car is mostly disassembled and therefore is really just a rolling shell and 50 boxes of parts - I am being asked for GST on all 150 odd components that make up these boxes despite the vast majority of the items being over 40 years old and of relatively low value (some items have a value of $10 and subsequently a GST fee of $1 has been applied - these won't break the bank but do add up).

Is it correct that these parts attract GST? If so is it because they are motor vehicle parts or should everything attract GST (as one lady has advised me) and if so were we lucky to get through the airport without paying GST on the clothes on our back and in our cases and on the cases themselves?) I'm struggling to get a definitive answer on this so any advice will be appreciated please.

For the record last week I was charged $1600 for all the inspections required on the content of of our 40' container - bio-security checks and vehicle valuation.

Many thanks,

Dave

Can't help on the motor vehicle stuff,but when it comes to clothes and personal effects GST is only chargeable on items less than 12 months old. Thats why you weren't charged at the airport.

Hi all.... were 13 weeks from landing in Perth... thinking of using Doree Bonner - anyone had any experience of using them ??

I had a quote from Doree Bonner who insisted on coming out to see how much stud we had even though i assured them that apart from around 6 items of furniture it was all packed in boxes and wrapped in export foam and that sitting in the garage and seeing as it had only just arrived back from Canada that I was sure it would fit in a 20ft container!!! none the less they came out and said "hmmm not really much to see"!!!! they then gave me a quote £2k more than who we eventually went with. I emailed them several times asking if they would like to re quote at a more competitive price but they insisted on having to speak personally to me before they could do this. This wasn't feasible as I was working and busy dealing with kids, i gave them half a dozen chances to come back to me with a lower quote but never got anything from them despite them saying they were sure they could do something.

I didn't have time to wait around and all the messing around left a bad taste in my mouth.