Who to go with based on our needs

Kenfrapin

So we've started looking at all the shipping companies mentioned here but wanted to confirm which ones you'd suggest given our requirement?

1. We want a door to door service including packing everything securely from our home in the UK to delivering to our doorstep in Melbourne
  2. We would prefer to take an entire container because, even if we may not fill it up, we are sure we wont be waiting for it to be filled by other customers. I've read that the cost for 20ft shared or 40ft not shared doesnt have a lot of difference, but I am not sure
  3. We want it from UK to Melbourne and in the shortest possible time
  4. I've read on here that some companies dont have their own local offices and sub contract it out which isnt always a great experience. Which of the companies have their own offices?
  5. We will use Letton Percival for insurance and keep it separate to the shipping company

What we are moving : We are a couple with no kids. So basically our entire living and dining room, plus some furniture from the study. It will also include all additional clothes, house accessories, a vacuum cleaner and kitchen stuff. Also includes a TV, record player, speaker etc. No bed/matresses and no wardrobes. We do wonder if an entire container is overkill but until they come and assess we wont really know

We have read a lot about PSS, John Mason, not sure about Pickfords and Crowne so any info and other names to add in the mix will help us

Thank you!

KnK

We used Crown years ago because they didnt use subcontractors ,it is Crown in Aus too. We were happy with their service but to be honest any of the companys you have named above should be able to give you good service, all are big companys who lots of our members have used.

Cal x

It seems to be quite normal to get 2 or 3 companys out to quote you and just go with who you feel can offer you the best service. Always check whats included in the price ,some companys seem to charge you some custom fee's up front where as others may hit you with a bill once here.

Cal x

Could someone clarify what a full container is?

1. Are there 2 distinct container sizes of 20ft and 40ft? So can we ask for a full 20ft container to ourselves?

2. Or is there only a single 40ft container of which if we take half we have 20ft of space?

Thanks

KnK

I think you can have a 20ft or 40ft to yourself, it all depends how much you are bringing with you. When the shippers come out to quote, just tell them you want a sole use container and do they think you will get everything into a 20ft one.

Cal x

Sole use 20ft container is what you seem to be after. And this is what many people use.

If its a shared container its groupage.

Could someone clarify what a full container is?

1. Are there 2 distinct container sizes of 20ft and 40ft? So can we ask for a full 20ft container to ourselves?

2. Or is there only a single 40ft container of which if we take half we have 20ft of space?

Thanks

KnK

From what you describe a 20ft container should be more than enough. Sharing a container means the shipment will take longer. I would also make sure that the container is filled and sealed at your home with a guaranteed date of shipment. Our 20ft container was totally filled but if there is space left in yours you should seek reassurances that the company you use will not try to fill it after it leaves your home.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting a very old thread of mine as we are finally moving now and trying to decide between Crown and John Mason

We want to ask and have asked JM about free storage for 3 months in Melbourne, but they have said no. Wonder if it's because we are just taking half a container or they really can't give us any offer

We will need storage for at least 4 months and at almost £200 a month with Crown, thats £800 we can actually put to better use.

Could anyone tell us which movers you have read about on the forum that were more open to free storage for a few months?

Thanks much!

KnK

So did you go for sole use (but only half filling it) or are you sharing? Sorry I cant help on your questions and have only responded with another question!! (Sorry)

Must be getting very exciting for you now x x x

No worries, we are going groupage as we only need half a container so not worth filling it just half way but paying full price. We arent in any hurry for it to arrive but dont mind sharing the container

And yes, very excited as days go by now.....

• 3 weeks later...
Resurrecting a very old thread of mine as we are finally moving now and trying to decide between Crown and John Mason

We want to ask and have asked JM about free storage for 3 months in Melbourne, but they have said no. Wonder if it's because we are just taking half a container or they really can't give us any offer

We will need storage for at least 4 months and at almost £200 a month with Crown, thats £800 we can actually put to better use.

Could anyone tell us which movers you have read about on the forum that were more open to free storage for a few months?

Thanks much!

KnK

Based on my experience, very much doubt any shipping company will give you free storage for at least 4 months. You need to read the T&C to see what they offer, some may give you a month. You could try to negotiate to see what the best they can do, but anything over a few weeks to a month, they will (more than likely) charge you.

storage = $$$

Depending on how much you are shipping I think that may be quite cheap based on my own experiences for a small storage unit, and not even climate controlled.

We finally went with Crown who agreed to give us 4 weeks free storage and also pretty much price matched the storage fees by another mover, as the initial price they quoted us always really high. We know Crown are expensive but after reading their reviews and general conduct, we feel quite comfortable using them. Also just sorted our insurance with A Letton Percival, so thats also done now.

Our final week here, 4 days of mayhem, Friday they take things away, final few dinners, good byes and parties over the weekend and away we go at 8am on Monday morning!!!

KnK