Rental Options

Kenfrapin

We've finally started our plan to move out and looking to fly to Melbourne end of August or early September. Some of it appear daunting trying to sell our place, gets movers for quotes and then to actually decide when to ship it over.

We are also looking to rent, mostly in the northern suburbs like Epping/Lalor etc but again, I believe most rental places are a minimum of 6 months. So if we are there start of September, stay with our cousins for a few weeks and take a rental from October onwards

This means we need to stay furnitureless for 2 months and then as we find jobs and settle in, we should be in a good place by early next year to find a home to move into. All seems daunting when we look at it at a high level!!!

Does it make sense to take short term lets as these will be furnished and of shorter duration? Trying to find out about short term lets but any pointers where to look for these?

Thanks

KnK

Guest The Pom Queen

You don't really want to be renting a holiday let for the 2 months whilst waiting for your furniture, the max I would say is 4 weeks but as you have your cousins you could maybe split it between a holiday let and there.

What a lot of people do is buy second hand furniture to put them on, or you could purchase an outdoor dining table and chairs and use it indoors until yours arrives. Also just check as most rentals in Vic use to be a min of 12 months.

Thanks for that, I will get my cousins to check what the usual rental agreement period is over there. We plan to stay with them for a month and then move to a rental place for 3 to 6 months. Really dont want a 12 month commitment!!!

KnK

Rentals of less than 12 months tend to be furnished short-term lets which are very expensive compared to 12 month lets, but include all furniture, all bills, absolutely everything. These require payment in advance. Most people who stay in our short-term accommodation stay for 4 - 6 weeks.

12 month rentals are unfurnished, do not include bills, and are paid monthly by signing a legal contract. You also have to pay a deposit. We own several of these and no-one has ever signed up for less than 12 months as they wouldn't be accepted.

There really isn't anything in between unfortunately.

BB

Have you thought about shipping out your stuff a bit earlier? Sometimes it's easier to do without furniture for a few weeks before you leave, than do without it when you arrive. e.g. you might be able to manage in your existing home with borrowed furniture from friends or family, or some of the old furniture that isn't worth taking. That way, you won't have such a long wait for delivery once you arrive.

I always suggest people don't ship beds because it's the one thing you need at both ends - and also, Australian and British beds are slightly different sizes so if you ship a British bed, you'll have mismatches with mattresses and bed linen for ever more. Also your TV may not work without a set top box so you might as well leave it too.

That means you can buy beds and a TV as soon as you find a rental, and (as TPQ says) an outdoor table and chairs, a picnic set and a microwave - and you've got the basics to get by.

12 month rentals are unfurnished, do not include bills, and are paid monthly by signing a legal contract. You also have to pay a deposit. We own several of these and no-one has ever signed up for less than 12 months as they wouldn't be accepted.

Hmm, that's a shame but good to know. In Sydney, 6 month rentals for that type of accommodation are more common than 12 months.

Have you thought about shipping out your stuff a bit earlier? Sometimes it's easier to do without furniture for a few weeks before you leave, than do without it when you arrive. e.g. you might be able to manage in your existing home with borrowed furniture from friends or family, or some of the old furniture that isn't worth taking. That way, you won't have such a long wait for delivery once you arrive.

I always suggest people don't ship beds because it's the one thing you need at both ends - and also, Australian and British beds are slightly different sizes so if you ship a British bed, you'll have mismatches with mattresses and bed linen for ever more. Also your TV may not work without a set top box so you might as well leave it too.

That means you can buy beds and a TV as soon as you find a rental, and (as TPQ says) an outdoor table and chairs, a picnic set and a microwave - and you've got the basics to get by.

Yep, we are planning to ship stuff out late July/early Aug and fly out 4 weeks later as we can easily live in the UK with older stuff and with friends. Definitely taking our TV as I've checked and it will work out there, everything else as you have just said. Doubt we will buy outside/picnic kinda furniture, probably old furniture that can then be dumped in the garage or used as firewood :)

Cheers

KnK

Have you thought about shipping out your stuff a bit earlier?

Or another option is to have a long holiday on the way in a cheap country - we spent 6 weeks in Mexico while our container sailed around. Accommodation was round $200 per week for a 1 bed apartment on the beach.

I always suggest people don't ship beds ..... Australian and British beds are slightly different sizes so if you ship a British bed, you'll have mismatches with mattresses and bed linen for ever more.

Good advice. We are still buying linen from John Lewis 9 years later.

BB

Yep, we are planning to ship stuff out late July/early Aug and fly out 4 weeks later as we can easily live in the UK with older stuff and with friends. Definitely taking our TV as I've checked and it will work out there, everything else as you have just said. Doubt we will buy outside/picnic kinda furniture

I didn't mean picnic furniture - I said a picnic set meaning picnic plates etc If you live a typical Aussie lifestyle then you are going to need attractive plastic plates and glasses for use at all your barbecues, as well as a big outdoor table and comfy chairs! So buying those would not be money wasted as you just put them out on your balcony/patio when your furniture arrives.