New to all of this

danrst171

Hi all,

I'm completely new to all of this and have been trying to understand the visa process but have no idea what it all means. I've got no familiarity with visas or how it all works.

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of moving to Australia. I'm 27 next month and she is 25 later this year. I am an IT Database Administrator and she is the manager in an outdoor store. I have 3 a level's, although low grades, and my girlfriend has NVQ level 2 hairdressing and a foundation degree in theatrical media and makeup. I have no idea if this would get us visas or not?

My job was a trainee role, which I've done for over 2 years now, but I don't have a qualification. I can gain Microsoft Certification but I don't think it's recognised qualification from what I have read.

We are currently saving money and have around £3.5k at the moment, but wouldn't be looking to make the move until later next year at the earliest.

Any advice on whether we would be accepted for a visa, what to do to help our applications and also how to go about it, do we look for jobs then apply for visas or the other way? We have friends in Australia already who we could stay with if we need to go to there at any point.

Cheers,

Dan

My company was bought by an Australian based firm about a year or 2 ago now. If I could internal transfer to Australia I assume it would make the whole thing a lot easier? Would my girlfriend be able to come with me if I did transfer?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@danrst171 - The organisation that asses your skills, the Australian computer society does recognize an MCSE, so Microsoft certs are an option. I do think you need 6 years experience to go with that though.

If you can sponsorship from your employer im not sure what the requirements are.

WHV would be the way to go. Your company would need to apply for a visa for you but in the process will have to prove that they couldn't find an Australian to do the job which, given your qualifications could be ropey. Maybe go for a holiday then go home and maybe do some study so you could get a visa in your own right. Both of you can get WHVs independently which will see you good for a year or two of you do your regional work but it's a go home deal at the end of it.

So if we went on a WHV each, could we get jobs in our respective sectors and look to make the visa permanent by getting sponsorship by whoever we are working for?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If your skills are in demand and your qualifications match the criteria then that might be a possibility but not one you could be guaranteed especially with rising unemployment in Australia. Just bank on the holiday and then look to how you might enhance your profile to get a permanent visa down the track. Be aware that on a WHV you can only work for an employer for 6 months and realistically your chances of getting a job in your career field is limited.

So if we went on a WHV each, could we get jobs in our respective sectors and look to make the visa permanent by getting sponsorship by whoever we are working for?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There used to be a limit on how long you could work in each job, 3 months, then you would need to quit and find another employer for another 3 months. The employer might be happy to keep you on, but if you intend to switch to residency, it is probably a good idea to stick to the rules. You will also be taxed from $0 under the new rules coming in on 1st July.

Hi all,

I'm completely new to all of this and have been trying to understand the visa process but have no idea what it all means. I've got no familiarity with visas or how it all works.

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of moving to Australia. I'm 27 next month and she is 25 later this year. I am an IT Database Administrator and she is the manager in an outdoor store. I have 3 a level's, although low grades, and my girlfriend has NVQ level 2 hairdressing and a foundation degree in theatrical media and makeup. I have no idea if this would get us visas or not?

My job was a trainee role, which I've done for over 2 years now, but I don't have a qualification. I can gain Microsoft Certification but I don't think it's recognised qualification from what I have read.

We are currently saving money and have around £3.5k at the moment, but wouldn't be looking to make the move until later next year at the earliest.

Any advice on whether we would be accepted for a visa, what to do to help our applications and also how to go about it, do we look for jobs then apply for visas or the other way? We have friends in Australia already who we could stay with if we need to go to there at any point.

Cheers,

Dan

Now the thread has been moved to the general forum, I will repost my initial response.

At the moment, I do not think you would be in a position to obtain a permanent visa. Your girlfriend works as a Retail Manager as far as I can tell which is not on the SOL or CSOL. You mention a few other things that she has done, but seems like this is study only and perhaps not backed up by work experience, in which case it isn't going to help.

Your occupation is only on the CSOL which means it needs state sponsorship and it also requires you to have a degree or possibly the degree could be replaced by more years of experience than you currently have. There are not many states sponsoring it either, so that is another hurdle.

If you can wangle the transfer with your company then that could be a route to Australia and an eventual permanent visa, but that wouldn't come for two or three years or so as you are not in a position to pass a skills assessment at the moment. A "girlfriend" cannot come with you, a defacto partner could.

If you cannot get a transfer, then a WHV is a great opportunity for a young person to experience Australia. However you could also shoot yourself in the foot, because currently you would need to upskill to degree level or obtain more years of work experience in order to qualify for a skilled migrant visa. Going to Australia on a WHV could disrupt that pathway for you, particularly if you have a steady job now but are unable to find similar in Australia. Your visa limits you to six months with any employer so it will put many off.

Edited by Bungo

Now the thread has been moved to the general forum, I will repost my initial response.

At the moment, I do not think you would be in a position to obtain a permanent visa. Your girlfriend works as a Retail Manager as far as I can tell which is not on the SOL or CSOL. You mention a few other things that she has done, but seems like this is study only and perhaps not backed up by work experience, in which case it isn't going to help.

Your occupation is only on the CSOL which means it needs state sponsorship and it also requires you to have a degree or possibly the degree could be replaced by more years of experience than you currently have. There are not many states sponsoring it either, so that is another hurdle.

If you can wangle the transfer with your company then that could be a route to Australia and an eventual permanent visa, but that wouldn't come for two or three years or so as you are not in a position to pass a skills assessment at the moment. A "girlfriend" cannot come with you, a defacto partner could.

If you cannot get a transfer, then a WHV is a great opportunity for a young person to experience Australia. However you could also shoot yourself in the foot, because currently you would need to upskill to degree level or obtain more years of work experience in order to qualify for a skilled migrant visa. Going to Australia on a WHV could disrupt that pathway for you, particularly if you have a steady job now but are unable to find similar in Australia. Your visa limits you to six months with any employer so it will put many off.

Thanks for this, very helpful. My girlfriend has done unpaid volunteer work and worked as part of her degree but hasn't actually had a paid job in either field. Would this potentially benefit us?

Could you provide a link to something I can read on the skills assessment that I would need to complete? I am probably able to obtain an MCSA qualification at my current skill level and not far off MCSE, so could do those within the next few years, along with another couple of years experience.

Sorry, just found this:

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Seems to suggest I need 8 years experience as I have no Diploma or higher?

I wasn't expecting to need that much experience! That makes things very difficult! Is that a strict 8 years? And does it all have to be specific to the role I am applying for? For example, I worked on the IT Service Desk for 3 years prior to taking a role in Database Services. That was IT related knowledge, although not specifically in the field of Databases.

No, voluntary work isn't going to help you. You either have the qualifications or you don't and it seems like neither of you has qualifications which could get you there at the moment so plan for the longer term - skill up then apply and in the meantime enjoy your holiday. You'll probably get a good tan picking fruit and you could end up being a good barman but you have to be realistic about your skills - there is a deal of unemployment in Australia with loads of well, if not over, qualified people still struggling to get a foot in the door.

Sorry, just found this:

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Seems to suggest I need 8 years experience as I have no Diploma or higher?

I wasn't expecting to need that much experience! That makes things very difficult! Is that a strict 8 years? And does it all have to be specific to the role I am applying for? For example, I worked on the IT Service Desk for 3 years prior to taking a role in Database Services. That was IT related knowledge, although not specifically in the field of Databases.

It's a strict requirement - you need the combination of education plus experience relevant to the occupation you are applying under. If ACS deems your IT Service Desk role wasn't sufficiently related to your database role, they'd not count it.

I would strongly encourage you to go for the WHV. Sure, it's not going to advance your career but at your age, you have plenty of time to get back on the career treadmill.

My first husband and I went to Africa in our early thirties for three years - we had no trouble getting back into working life in the UK at the end of it. So you can afford to take a year out to see Australia.

A year in Oz will either make you realise Australia's not for you, or it will reinforce your desire to move, so you'll be more willing to do the work needed to qualify.

I would strongly encourage you to go for the WHV. Sure, it's not going to advance your career but at your age, you have plenty of time to get back on the career treadmill.

My first husband and I went to Africa in our early thirties for three years - we had no trouble getting back into working life in the UK at the end of it. So you can afford to take a year out to see Australia.

A year in Oz will either make you realise Australia's not for you, or it will reinforce your desire to move, so you'll be more willing to do the work needed to qualify.

My only concern is money. We are saving by living at my girlfriends parents but would be using all our savings to both go with a WHV. Then we'd have to come home and rent, which means saving would be much slower and we'd also need to find money to get qualifications to help us move (if that's what we chose to do).

I never saw the benefit of going to University when I was younger, now I do!

My only concern is money. We are saving by living at my girlfriends parents but would be using all our savings to both go with a WHV. Then we'd have to come home and rent, which means saving would be much slower and we'd also need to find money to get qualifications to help us move (if that's what we chose to do).

Why do you assume a WHV would use all your savings? It all depends how you use the year. It's true most WHV'ers come out to work in menial jobs, travel around the country and drink a lot - but that's not compulsory! It's perfectly possible to choose one city, bring all your smart clothes and a good CV, hit the temp agencies and get good temp jobs in your chosen field, even though you can only work with each employer for 6 months. So you'll have a decent income and potentially make some good contacts for your future migration.

I would be going to Melbourne or Brisbane because your living costs would be much cheaper than in Sydney.

Why do you assume a WHV would use all your savings? It all depends how you use the year. It's true most WHV'ers come out to work in menial jobs, travel around the country and drink a lot - but that's not compulsory! It's perfectly possible to choose one city, bring all your smart clothes and a good CV, hit the temp agencies and get good temp jobs in your chosen field, even though you can only work with each employer for 6 months. So you'll have a decent income and potentially make some good contacts for your future migration.

I would be going to Melbourne or Brisbane because your living costs would be much cheaper than in Sydney.

Oh yes, that would be the plan, obviously with a little time to ourselves on the beaches!

However, I'm under no illusion that I'll walk straight into a job (particularly given I can only work 6 months for each employee). I think I'd be best suited to paving a way into Database Development, which falls under Developer Programmer and is on the SOL.

Some of the skills required to do my current role are directly transferable to that role (often you'll find a DBA is required to do development work, which I have done small amounts of already).

May need to extend my timeframe a little!

Oh yes, that would be the plan, obviously with a little time to ourselves on the beaches!

However, I'm under no illusion that I'll walk straight into a job (particularly given I can only work 6 months for each employee).

I wasn't suggesting that you'd walk into a job at your current level or even in exactly the same job. You shouldn't regard it as a continuation of your career, or as the start of preparation towards your eventual migration: it's a year out, to experience living in Australia. Even in a more junior role, you can make connections in a company once you're working there.

Let's face it, I know you find this unbelievable right now, but after a year of actually living in Oz rather than holidaying, you (or your girlfriend) might decide Australia is not for you after all. Remember about half of all migrants decide to return to the UK, even though they all migrate thinking they're going to love it just like you! A WHV is a great way to "suck it and see" which isn't available to older migrants.

Edited by Marisawright