Zetland - any good?

Ozblueskies

Hi,

I am currently looking at rentals in various suburbs. I moved to Sydney 6 months ago and live in Kirribilli at the moment. Now, you might ask, why move somewhere else, Kirribilli is great! Well, the thing is: I am renting a small, cute 2 bdr apartment and while the location is quite handy and beautiful, I am getting a bit tired of old apartments and would like to live in a new apartment where there´s usually a lot more light due to bigger windows etc.

I had a look around Zetland and while the suburb itself doesn´t have the natural beauty of other popular suburbs like Kirribilli, Balmain, etc., I noticed that there are tons of modern new apartments. For the amount of rent I´m paying now (650 pw), I could have modern apartment with new appliances, concierge, swimming pool, sauna, etc. I first considered Lane Cove as well but the suburb itself just appears to be a bit too suburban for me - if I had a family, that would probably be a great place to live, but as a single, I am a bit concerned to be too far away from the action (even though I am not into clubbing anymore). Just find the southern side of Sydney more multicultural, more happening...

The word that springs into my mind when looking at Zetland is: CONVENIENCE: Most apartments are within easy walking distance to the East Village, parks nearby and close to Surry Hills and the Eastern Beaches.

While I agree, it lacks a bit of soul, I find the location pretty handy and the quality of apartments far better than in other parts of Sydney.

I wanted to have look at a few places but would appreciate your input if you have lived or still living in Zetland. Any apartments/location to look out for? Any down sides or things to watch out for?

Main thing for me is safety, not being surrounded by party people who keep the neighbours awake all the time and convenient location to shops, good access to the city and restaurants/cafes.

Thanks!

I haven't lived in Zetland but have lived in Alexandria which is right next door. It wasn't my favourite suburb to live in - lots of students, low income earners, and travellers for neighbours. But that's because it is cheap relative to the rest of inner Sydney, you get what you pay for!

It's not as convenient as you think because the buses aren't very good (or weren't when I was there).

I know what you mean about the North Shore, it is lovely and leafy but can be expensive and quiet!

If you are past the clubbing stage but looking for somewhere lively, you might want to consider the Inner West. It's a bit further out and I admit that when I arrived in Sydney first, I regarded it as "too far away", but when I moved there with my oh I was sorry I hadn't ventured out there sooner.

I sometimes pop to East Village in Zetland - it does feel a little small after a couple of visits and isn't quite a one stop shop for everything you need, but I think the Coles is open til midnight. I agree that Zetland is conveniently located (the area is classed as 'city fringe'), except it isn't on a train line and trains are better than buses, I reckon. Also, there aren't any bars, pubs or music venues in walking distance that I can think of.

I don't agree about the 'quality' of apartments in Zetland - they're being thrown up pretty quickly and I certainly wouldn't buy one, but renting would be great. If a modern apartment is more of a priority to you than living in an area with established character and community, then Zetland could work for you.

I wouldn't live there myself. Why not explore the Inner West a bit more, there are lots of new unit blocks (most with pools and gyms etc) amongst the cottages and town houses.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I suppose, I will just have to look at a few places to get a feel for it.

I have to admit, I haven´t considered the inner west. My impression was that there were lots of old, run-down buildings (which I don´t want) - and I definately am past the age where I want to live next to the party people;) But maybe I missed something so will definately have a closer look at the area. I am just a bit concerned that it might be too build up - I like going for runs so living near the water or a park is crucial for me, otherwise I just get depressed if I`m only surrounded by noise, traffic and buildings...

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I suppose, I will just have to look at a few places to get a feel for it.

I have to admit, I haven´t considered the inner west. My impression was that there were lots of old, run-down buildings (which I don´t want) - and I definately am past the age where I want to live next to the party people;) But maybe I missed something so will definately have a closer look at the area. I am just a bit concerned that it might be too build up - I like going for runs so living near the water or a park is crucial for me, otherwise I just get depressed if I`m only surrounded by noise, traffic and buildings...

You may be surprised. If you're willing to consider looking a bit further out and like the idea of a concierge/fitness facilities etc, take a look at Breakfast Point. It is quiet, but the long restaurant strip on Major's Bay Road at Concorde is very close by and there are parks, riverside walks etc. If you want to be closer in, have you ever been down the waterfront at Glebe?

Hi again,

sorry, took me a while to reply, thanks again for your messages!

I actually used the long weekend to explore a few places. I went to Erskineville - and yes, it´s pretty. It´s got a few nice few cafes/bars and lots of character - but then again, I am not quite sure whether I see myself living there. Definately would come back to explore some those restaurants and bars. But everything seems a little, well, crammed and dark. Maybe I´ve been to the wrong places but my impression was that there are not a lot of new/bright apartments in that area. I´ve seen a few on realestate.com.au, some of them just about being opened soon so there are only generic pictures. I had a look at the Sydney Park Village, a big apartment complex - but I don´t know, I just got the feeling, that it´s very dark.

I suppose, this is something non-negiatable for me: a modern apartment with lots of natural light.

I don´t mind travelling to bars/pubs, not bothered that much of having them within walking distance. For me, it´s more about convenience for my daily life.

I have explored the Zetland area a bit more again and I can´t help but thinking that this wouldn´t be such a bad place. Yes, not much of a community feel, but really like the East Village for convenience (Coles, Asian supermarket, farmers markets, gym, bakery, butcher, fish store, little take-aways...it´s all there). While there are a lot of apartments, I don´t get the feeling of being "crammed in", it appears fairly open and some of those places catch a lot of sunlight. And there is even a bike path, everything is flat, so easy to ride to Surry Hills or Centennial Park. Ahhh, Centennial Park - another big plus! Really loved this place - great for running!

Most of these apartments come with a parking spot, so another handy thing...

I walked down Bourke St through Surry Hills today and ended up in Waterloo - quite a few nice apartments there too, even closer to the city and Centennial Park. I suppose, you have to pick where to live, I imagine some of these places could become quite noisy esp. when facing inner courtyards, but overall, I find the standard of apartments in Waterloo/Zetland significantly better than what I could get in other suburbs. Plus there seems to be a lot of choice so probably easier to secure a rental than in, say Erskineville.

I have yet to explore the Glebe/Bay Run Area...

Many thanks!

If you do end up in Zetland / Green Square, don't live in one of the apartment blocks across the road from East Village that surround a huge slide. I take my daughter there occasionally and at the weekends it fills up with screaming kids - I feel sorry for the residents!

http://www.sydneymedia.com.au/childrens-adventures-at-green-square-park/

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Sorry I know this is a bit late, but I live on the Waterloo/Zetland boarder, and I love it there.

Go and have a look at some apartments and you'll get an idea of quality. It varies wildly, and you'll find some dumps and you'll find some absolute steals.

Some people have put here that the apartments are cheap (price-wise). They aren't at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I live in Zetland with my partner having moved from the UK in January. We moved there as we have friends already living there and had jobs waiting for us in the CBD. We find it pretty convenient for getting into the City, the beaches and defo the airport. It's a 10 minute walk to Green Square train station and there are bus stops along Joynton Avenue. We live in Victoria Park which admittedly is a little sterile, but it's safe and quiet. There's a pub in East Village and few ok restaurants and a couple of really good cafe's, but of course, you are only a 10 minute bus journey from Surry Hills, so plenty to do. If you're looking for an apartment there, speak to Martin real estate which is based on Gadigal Ave in Victoria Park. Morton are also based there, speak to Anne, she was really helpful in securing our apartment for us. Happy hunting!!

Thanks again for your input and especially Rolfeyroo for the real estate agent hint! I will definately have a look at a few places to get a better idea. At the moment, I am really torn...as I am an outdoorsy person, I am also considering Manly (see my other post - sorry for the confusion, I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment), but having looked at a few places on realestate.com.au and walking around the suburb was a bit of an eye opener as most places within my budget were old, dingy and ugly...

Still considering the inner west but it just seemed a bit too built up and crammed, whereas I feel that Zetland/Waterloo is a bit more open and with more natural light (despite the high density of apartments).

One of the things that puts me off Zetland/Waterloo is the lack of a train station - but I suppose, depending where you live, an easy 10-15 mins walk to Green Station is not too bad.

Do real estate agents actually help you to secure an apartment in Zetland, Rolfeyroo???

That´s suprising to hear as I am used to competing with other potential tenants and the real estate has to do nothing except accepting applications ;) I suppose, there is a good constant supply of available apartments then?

Thanks again for all your input! I suppose, I just have to make my mind up:)

Hi Ozblueskies, personally for us, Morton were very good. They knew we were actively looking for a property in Zetland, we'd viewed quite a few apartments at that point, we had good references and had the money/bond readily available. They helped us secure a property before it had been officially put on their website, whether that was lucky rather than judgement I don't know, but we were very happy with their service.