Working Holiday Visa Criminal Record.

JackSmith

Hi, I applied online for a Working Holiday Visa about 4 months ago. I'm still waiting to here from the VACCU who are dealing with my case. I am 30 years old my visa application went in 6 months before the cut off period. My Criminal convictions include Assault Ocasioning Actually bodily harm, relieved a police caution for this and it occurred almost 11 years ago. A year later I was convicted of criminal damage and Battery. I was given 12 months probation, Anger management. As part of the disposal I was given community service unpaid work requirement but the order was revoked as Instead I was offered a place at rehab for my drinking problems. I completed this. I have never served any prison time and was not given a suspended sentence. Two years later about 8 years ago I was convicted for being drunk and dissorderrly and had to pay a £50 fine. Since then I have not committed any crime. The ABH charge involved my older brother we had a toy fight that escalated and I gave him a bust lip and black eye. We are now close friends. The Battery and Criminal Damage happened when I was at university on the halls. I damaged a door during a fight with another student. I was suspended from uni but offered my place back. Since then I got a first class honours degree. Iv worked for the local council, Im currently a support worker helping people with learning difficulties. Iv passed my driving test. I have successfully managed the buisness of running my home with no rent arrears or problems with my neighbours for 5 years. Iv also worked voluntarily for charities. My purpose of travel is to work as I gain relevant life experience that can improve my personal and professional development. I have been accepted by Wieensland University to do my Masters degree and hope to change over to a Student Visa once Iv completed my WHV. I have saved enough money to pay for my tuition fees £14,000. What are my chances of having my WHV accepted and why is it taking so long with the VACCU??? And lastly when will I find out?

I am no expert but I would say your chances are slim. If you have a criminal record, the odds of you getting a positive grant, even for a WFV, are slim. They are very strict here. They look back 10 years and as you have records dating back 8, they will certainly show up.

All the best thought, hope it works out.

I am no expert but I would say your chances are slim. If you have a criminal record, the odds of you getting a positive grant, even for a WFV, are slim. They are very strict here. They look back 10 years and as you have records dating back 8, they will certainly show up.

They don't just look back 10 years, they go back to the start of a criminal record. Just cos its over 10 years old doesn't mean it will be ignored.

Thankyou for your response. I have declared my criminal convictions. They asked me to provide a police certificate. So they can see all my convictions. Does it not help my case that I have never been to prison? And that I have not committed a crime for 8 years. And in that time I have done a lot of good stuff. I mean the job that I do now working with vulnerable adults is a highly responsible job which involves looking after people's money, administering medication and helping people manage their own lives? I'm hardly a hardened criminal. I made some mistakes when I was younger. I don't drink and I don't take drugs. if they intend to cancel my visa I have been told that before they do that they will write to me informing me of their intentions to cancel. Then I have time to find references from work etc which I will be able to do. I was also told they may ask me to go to Australia House in London for an Interview where they may well drug test me and if they do that I will found to be clean as a whistle.

Thank you for your response.

Does it it not help my chances that I have not served any time in prison? Also that in the 8 years since my last conviction which was a misdemeanor that I have done a lot of good stuff to show that I have changed and that I am of good character?

Gaining a a first class honours degree is very difficult does this not show that I am of good character?

Working for charities in my spare time without pay... Is this not a sign of good character?

Successfully managing the buisness of running my own home with no problems with my neighbours... Is this not a sign of good character?

Working for a Goverment funded council leisure centre full time where I worked with children and the elderly... Is this not a sign of good character?

Mi currently work full time as a support worker helping people with learning difficulties, autism and disability where I am trusted to look after people's money and administer medication amongst other things.... Is this not evidence of good character?

I mi do not drink and I do not take drugs. The fact that I don't take drugs.... Is this not a sign of good character?

I I have declared my criminal convictions and I have been honest with them... Is this not a sign of good character?

I I have been told that if they intend to cancel my visa I will have 28 days to provide references and show how I am of good character. I may even have to go for an interview at Australia House in London where they may drug test me. Taking into account all I have said and the fact I will come up as negative for drugs. Would I be successful in proving to the Australian Authorities dealing with my case that I am a changed man an I am of good character?

I would be more hopeful. Plenty of people get visas - including permanent resident visas - with criminal records far worse than this. I would have thought that this was some time ago, represented horseplay when young and drunk, was disposed of with minimal penalties, and does not seem to have escalated into worse things. So long as you have fessed up to everything, sound genuinely remorseful (i.e. not trying to shift blame or laugh it off) and indicate the positive steps you have taken to address the earlier behaviour, I would not foresee any problem at all.