Potential job offer in Parramatta - where to live?

TiaCapan

Hi all

I have an interview in Parramatta, and I would be moving interstate. I know some areas from brief holidays, but mostly up in the Mountains and Bathurst. I don't know Sydney well at all and wages will not allow for some of the more expensive areas in Sydney. I know people in the lower mountains area so could commute. No kids to worry about so not looking for family friendly but I would hate to be in a high rise apartment block.

Budget $350-$400 a week rent, would prefer to live near the train line, but not so close that I can wave at it from my bedroom window :-)

Any suggestions of places to look around when I'm on a reccie?

Many thanks

Hi all

I have an interview in Parramatta, and I would be moving interstate. I know some areas from brief holidays, but mostly up in the Mountains and Bathurst. I don't know Sydney well at all and wages will not allow for some of the more expensive areas in Sydney. I know people in the lower mountains area so could commute. No kids to worry about so not looking for family friendly but I would hate to be in a high rise apartment block.

Budget $350-$400 a week rent, would prefer to live near the train line, but not so close that I can wave at it from my bedroom window :-)

Any suggestions of places to look around when I'm on a reccie?

Many thanks

Penrith and the lower Blue Mountain are on the Parra train line.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit+apartment-in-penrith+-+greater+region,+nsw/list-1

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit+apartment-in-blue+mountains+-+region,+nsw/list-1

I'd be looking at Glenbrook, Hazelbrook and the other stations higher up the Blue Mountains line. The road down the mountains is pretty good now, too. That will get you a fresher, less humid climate, nice scenery and cheaper rent. If you're a singleton that might be too quiet for you though.

Thanks for your replies.

Have either of you lived in those areas? I'm trying to get a 'feel' for areas. Yes I'm moving on my own, so I wouldn't want to be anywhere too quiet.

In that case, no I wouldn't look at the Blue Mountains. It's a lovely area but a couple of my single friends tried living there and didn't last long - not enough going on.

Personally, in your shoes I would settle for a one-bedder in an apartment block in Parramatta for six months while you find your feet. Parramatta has a lively restaurant and cafe scene and that would probably be your social life - you want to be close to it while you're settling in. Once you've had time to meet people and make some friends, you'll get an idea where they live and will be better placed to make the right choice of long-term home.

The only other thing I would suggest is to look in the Inner West of Sydney, which is where a lot of young professionals live and is easily commutable to Parramatta - however you'd be struggling on that rental budget.