Advice needed travelling from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

The Smith Clan

It depends where on the Reef you want to get to.

It will take you about 5 hours to get to Bundaberg and from there, you can visit Lady Musgrave Island which is the southern tip of the reef.

If you really want to see the full Reef experience though, I'd be going up to the Whitsundays which is a good 12 hours' drive. In other words, Brisbane to Airlie Beach is about the same distance as Sydney to Brisbane!

It depends where on the Reef you want to get to.

It will take you about 5 hours to get to Bundaberg and from there, you can visit Lady Musgrave Island which is the southern tip of the reef.

If you really want to see the full Reef experience though, I'd be going up to the Whitsundays which is a good 12 hours' drive. In other words, Brisbane to Airlie Beach is about the same distance as Sydney to Brisbane!

Many thanks Marisa,

Had a look we plan to fly now to Airlie Beach now and have found somewhere to stay, it looks soo beautiful, what time frame would you say is good to stay, we were thinking 20th - 24th (we have 3 wks in oz), is that a fair amount of time to see some of the islands?

Let me know if there are any things not to miss there :) Daydream island looks simply amazing

Thanks

First trip to Australia and top of the to do lists is great barrier reef. We plan to hire a camper van and wonder if we can drive or will we need flights. Need the most cost effective way. If we drive what sort of travelling would this entail?

Thanks in advance :)

G'day mate, first off, it is a 10 hour drive up the Bruce hwy, but, if you want to see a couple of places on the way, suggest that you call in at Clairview; it is the first place you see the sea from Brissie and is about a 5-6 hour leisurely drive. Sarina Beach would be an alternative camp o/nite; about 8 hour drive from Brissie.

From there, it is only a hop, step and jump to The Whitsundays. August in The Whitsundays means lotsa grey nomads and backpackers...

Only live 1 hour south of Airlie if you want any more help.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bugga!!! As I was typing my reply, you changed your plans...:laugh:

Plenty of islands to visit, Daydream being one of the closer and better ones. Long Island is good for a day, or o/nite. Shute Harbour is the best "jumping off" place to see the islands. Plenty of ferries to choose from.

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, first off, it is a 10 hour drive up the Bruce hwy, but, if you want to see a couple of places on the way, suggest that you call in at Clairview; it is the first place you see the sea from Brissie and is about a 5-6 hour leisurely drive. Sarina Beach would be an alternative camp o/nite; about 8 hour drive from Brissie.

From there, it is only a hop, step and jump to The Whitsundays. August in The Whitsundays means lotsa grey nomads and backpackers...

Only live 1 hour south of Airlie if you want any more help.

Cheers, Bobj.

Clairview more like a 10 hour drive from Brissy than a 5 hour drive Bob if you stick to speed limits. It's about 850kms and a fair stretch in a day with kids in a camper. That last 200kms or so out of Rocky is about as boring a drive as you can get but at least there is little traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, I live in airlie beach. It's truly a beautiful place! There's only one boat trip which can take u to the outter reef and that's with cruise Whitsundays. But there are also lots of other boat trips you can do plus overnight sailings too. A great day trip here is with ocean rafting. It's a small fast boat which will take you to Whitehaven beach (this is a must do!!!) and they also stop at a couple of snorkelling spots. They are my favourite boat for sure! Daydream island is good but mostly aimed at families so lots of kids there normally. Hamilton island is a nice one too, pretty expensive but a lovely day trip. There's jet skiing here too which is awesome fun! If u need any more info just let me know! :-)

Edited by Georgie Bedford

Look for the all day breakfast package trip that covers 4 or 5 islands (including Whitehaven) first stop Daydream for breakfast, then onto the others with guided snorkelling at one whilst the guide feeds the fish to bring 'em up close to you. Full excellent lunch on board. I forget the actual company/boat, but I'm hard to please and this was certainly value for money and a wonderful experience. We also booked a full day on the reef where the boat takes you out to a pontoon and you can dive as my kids did, snorkel, helicopter trip, or just lounge around. It has a big water slide on it so the kids will love it. Just to wet your appetite :-)

josh-5_zps7437a627.jpg

Jake-2_zpsca6450f5.jpg

IMG_0085Copy_zpsb626d43e.jpg

24925029899_85ed701892_b.jpgGreat Barrier Reef, Whitsundays, Queensland. by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

16933926661_0b8b41fb23_b.jpgRounding The Hook by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

16897773331_003e7bbdaf_b.jpgBlissfully Unaware by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

16891251295_0bf4b51bf2_b.jpgHook Island, Whitsundays, Queensland, Australia by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

12312051335_b125bb72c6_b.jpgFishing In Paradise - Airlie Beach by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

9253914066_bf9d6bafd8_b.jpgWhitehave Beach, Whitsunday Isles, Queensland, Australia by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr