Northern Beaches Advice

Matt Barker

Hi There,

I wonder if anybody can give me some help RE Northern Beaches secondary schools. We are moving out to Oz in July and my Son will be starting year 7 in January. We have our eye on the Northern Beaches (looks amazing!) but it seems that there is some negativity around the public secondary schools at Cromer and Narabeen. The information seems a little dated so I'm wondering if anybody has any current feedback on these schools?

We would consider Private (Pittwater House, St Lukes etc), although feedback is a little mixed there also.

I would really appreciate any help with this ! :wink:

Cheers

Matt

I have friends who have kids at school at Davidson High and they're very happy (took their children out of the catholic school in Manly - I forget the name). I also have friends who used to have kids in Narrabeen and didn't like that and took them out and sent them private (to Northern Beaches Christian School). Pittwater House I have heard mixed reports of, more positive ones of St Lukes.

Make of that what you will, it's difficult with schools as it's largely hearsay and what suits your child might be completely different from another kid. Like, my son is an academic, slightly nerdy kid who likes things to be ordered and loves music and puzzles. His school is perfect for him. Our friends send their sons to another school nearby that's completely different and it suits them down to the ground, because they are sporty, rough and tumble kids who like a bit of chaos but when the boundary is reached, it's super clear and there's no stepping over it. Their sons would hate our school and probably not thrive, and vice-versa.

School culture, ethos and leadership of the principal and senior staff is massively important IMO and no league table can ever tell you that - you need to visit and talk to them

• 1 month later...

Disclaimer - I've always discounted private ones as i could never afford them! Public Schools only...

I've heard similar things about the schools that way, as researched it a bit. Apparently Pittwater High (Mona Vale) is decent enough. Inland fro the beaches Killarney Heights (Forestville) is good enough, and Davidson - these places are classed as Northern beaches, but they are a bit inland really. But near enough, family friendly suburbs that are more affordable (15 mins drive to the beach)

There are a couple that I heard weren't good, but don't want to name names here! Also, depends how you look at it and what your parameters are.

More inland from there you have the Suburbs on the North Shore where there are good schools too. This ranges from the good schools in Willoughby up to Hornsby (they are generally all good along the pacific highway/train line area). We moved to Killara for the good schools (and they are really good). It's not really northern beaches though, but we can get there in 25 mins. Pros and cons to living there, but that's for another thread... This area also has many of the good private schools, but you need deep pockets for those I think.

I have mates who live in the inner west who send their kids to Catholic schools ands they are happy - that seems to be affordable for some.

Edited by Captain Roberto
Dyslexic