We're off to Mellie on a Reccie in August 2016 :)

Beaty

Hello all!

Just registered as a user there after a week of 'lurking'.

Myself and my wife decided last Christmas that we needed a change as we turned 40. We're Irish and live in the Republic. We have three chislers (that 'children' in Ireland) ages: 6, 4, 3. Girl, Girl, Boy.

So we're at the initial stages of applying for the State Sponsored Visa (Victoria). My wife being the main applicant (she's cleverer on paper!). Currently her qualifications are being assessed by AITSL. We should hear back in two to three week.s

Me: Photographer (Self-employed, 20 years experience)

She: Primary Teacher (State employed, 10+ years experience)

We have a number of properties here, and our plan is to sell one, rent our 'main house', and emigrate on the proceeds of sale. We should be well set up for the initial years. I will work as soon as I can get a business going (or be employed) and my wife will take some time off with chislers.

So, before we do all of that we've decided to do a trip over in August 2016! All of us are hopping on a flight over to Mellie / Sydney for 17 days (wish it could be longer!).

Our plan is as follows:

- arrive and base ourselves in Geelong for about 3/4 days and explore the Western side (West Mel, Bellamarine and Great Ocean areas)

- base ourselves in Mornington for about 3/4 days and explore Melbourne and Mornington Peninsula

- drive to Sydney (2/3 days)

- chill and spend some time with mates in South and North shores before we head back to Ireland

We're meeting with people in both our trades, and most importantly, looking at areas we'd like to rent / live in and educate our children.

We're looking forward to it all and I will update you all on how it went when we come back!

B

PS: We're sorted for hosted accommodation in Geelong but if anyone has a link to suitable mid-range accommodation around Mount Eliza / Mount Martha / Mornington / Dromana I'd love to look at it....

Edited by Beaty

Welcome to the forum and have lots of fun on your Reccie. For accommodation have a look at sites like AirBNB, Stayz, Take a break etc

Let us know how you get on with everything and what you think of the cities when you get back.

Cal x

Just as well your wife isn't hoping to get a job as a primary teacher, in fact, having the time off to be with the kids might be a good time for her to look around and see what sort of career change she might like to make. Too many unemployed teachers unfortunately! I'm surprised that any states are still sponsoring primary teachers actually. She would be wise to take a career break when you do actually plan your move for real. Enjoy the holiday!

Just as well your wife isn't hoping to get a job as a primary teacher, in fact, having the time off to be with the kids might be a good time for her to look around and see what sort of career change she might like to make. Too many unemployed teachers unfortunately! I'm surprised that any states are still sponsoring primary teachers actually. She would be wise to take a career break when you do actually plan your move for real. Enjoy the holiday!

There isnt a shortage of primary school teachers in the established suburbs of Melbourne, but there is in the growth areas. If your wife is prepared to look at Pakenham/Cranbourne or Mernda/Craigieburn there are plenty of opportunities

Funnily enough, my wife has had an offer (already) for Emergency / Temporary Cover re: Primary Teaching. Would be handy while the chislers are in School. So there is 'foot in the door' opportunities, or maybe experience is Queen.

Looking forward to the trip over!

B

• 2 months later...

And certainly don't call Geelong Melbourne or the locals will eat you! As someone who has given up with rising prices on the eastern side, and opted to buy land and build just north of Geelong, I'd make positive noises to you about that side, especially once you get south of Werribee. Geelong itself is a really attractive small city, on the water, nice old buildings, all the services and shops you'll need, and not pricey compared to Melbourne. Don't discount the inland regional towns such as Bendigo and Ballarat either, though for your photography, I imagine you'll want access to a big market, so access back to Melbourne will be good, and Geelong is definitely nearer (just about commutable by train). I'm biased, but Melbourne is way nicer than Sydney - just a better, nicer city to live in. But you'll get a feel for what you like, and that's different for all of us. But watch the housing costs, especially house prices. Sydney (anywhere) is out of reach except for the seriously moneyed, and most of eastern Melbourne is getting that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Have a safe flight Beaty. Are you all coming, or are the "Chislers" staying at home with relos?

We brought the 3 chislers Celt. So, all 5 of us are currently on the Mornington Peninsula after a very successful tour of the Bellarine.

Really enjoying it so far and will be posting an expansive analysis of our 'trip to Vic' when I'm back Ire'side!

B

Edited by Beaty

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard lots of Aussies call it Melbs.

Everything gets shortened here, or has an O put on the end of names, like Craigo.

You're right, now I think of it I have heard people say Melbs, but never Mellie. As you say, Australians are more likely to add a O than an IE

What I find funny is when they create a nickname that actually makes the name longer, like Johnno.

You're in Ireland, how do you know?

Melbourne is already a very short word, since Aussies say "Melbn". No need to shorten it. Maybe I should start calling Dublin "Dublie".

I'm in Ireland now, but I was there for the bones of three weeks.

Mellie was the abbreviation I heard around the BBQ, in the bars, under the lemon tree, trust me, Melbs is a bit yesterday.

B

I'm in Ireland now, but I was there for the bones of three weeks.

Mellie was the abbreviation I heard around the BBQ, in the bars, under the lemon tree, trust me, Melbs is a bit yesterday.

B

Too funny, I will tell all the young Aussies saying it, that Melbs is so 'yesterday'.....

You were here after all, for a whole three weeks, so I am sure you would know.

Strange I've lived in Melbourne since 1978 and never heard a single person in my life say Mellie.

And I've spent most of the last 60+ years in Australia and never heard a single person say Mellie. (Not often we agree, pc. :wink:)

The only capital city abbreviation I've ever heard is Brissie.