13a plugs

Escape from drizzle

I am looking to change a few the plugs on a few extensions leads before we make the move. I am able to get hold of 10a rewireable plugs but I am struggling to work out what to do with the 13a extension leads. I am moving to VIC so really would like to get this sorted before I go, what have people done regarding rewiring thier larger electrical items upon arrival?

why not just change the plugs on the appliances when you get here? Very quickly you'll end up with just a few power bricks that can't be converted to Australian plugs. Besides you don't want the 13a stuff hanging around for too long as not technically legal here and a reason for the insurance company to wriggle out if the house burns down... I have one or two UK four way extensions kicking around for people to use for their phones when they visit, but aren't permanently used.

what have people done regarding rewiring thier larger electrical items upon arrival?

I'd be surprised if you have anything that will be sucking 10A out of the wall socket.

Larger items; fridge, freezer, washing machine etc; just change the plug to a standard Aussie 10A plug. They are a few $ each in Bunnings.

Larger 15A plugs don't fit in standard domestic wall sockets anyway; the earth tab is too large to fit. So 10A plugs are your only proper option.

For smaller items that are often grouped together like TV/DVD/speaker system, then changing the plug on a trailing socket will help mnmise the number of plugs to change.

Usual caveats apply; get an electrician to change the plugs if you want to be totally legal! [emoji12] and don't plug everything in the kitchen into a trailing socket! If your circuit breakers start tripping then you know you've gone too far!

I'd be surprised if you have anything that will be sucking 10A out of the wall socket.

Larger items; fridge, freezer, washing machine etc; just change the plug to a standard Aussie 10A plug. They are a few $ each in Bunnings.

Larger 15A plugs don't fit in standard domestic wall sockets anyway; the earth tab is too large to fit. So 10A plugs are your only proper option.

For smaller items that are often grouped together like TV/DVD/speaker system, then changing the plug on a trailing socket will help mnmise the number of plugs to change.

Usual caveats apply; get an electrician to change the plugs if you want to be totally legal! [emoji12] and don't plug everything in the kitchen into a trailing socket! If your circuit breakers start tripping then you know you've gone too far!

No one will bash your door down to check, but if your house burns down and the insurance investigators get wind you've changed the plugs yourself........................

No one will bash your door down to check, but if your house burns down and the insurance investigators get wind you've changed the plugs yourself........................

Anyway you can do it legally, is get an electrician to rewire it?